Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 is fun in the streets

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 06:18 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 is fun in the streets

Like some on the this forum I too wrestled with where to draw the line between track and street. When my GT3 was set up for track it was always too marked up and dirty or needed tires or pads or something. Didn't drive it on the street too much as a result. Race seats were uncomfortable too. It's also a very fast car to really improve your driving to the next level. Although of course you can. But, A slower car can be better to improve tracking abilities.
So I bought an 03 350Z. Added race wheels, tires, suspension rear bar, seats and belts.
It's a blast to drive on the track. Costs a lot less to maintain.
Now I'm gonna blow it out and gut it and put in a full cage and race it in NASA
Or just DE it.
I must say that to those who think you must track the GT3 to fully appreciate it, I don't agree. Yes, do it, it's great but I think you can really feel the balance and small driving inputs on a safe but spirited drive on familiar twisty roads or highway ramps. The sounds the engine puts out are just great!
Not trying to sell Z's here. Many other cars will do. Just saying for those who can afford it. Having both is sweet.
Plus the cost of the car is very low to mid teens to buy. 25K fully DE equipped and 35 -40k. Fully race prepped. You can also buy a track prepped car for less.
I find that when your full out on the track, everything is so intense that the specialness of the Gt3 gets lost in what you can be doing in any track prepped race car.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010 | 07:12 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

You bring up a very good point. As good as a GT3 is, a "lesser" a race car is going to be a better weapon. The specialness of the GT3 is that it's a street car that is also SO good at the track.
Old 12-20-2010 | 09:01 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I sponsored this car/driver for a while -- he was pretty quick in this car
I think he sold it in the high 20s if IIRC
He has since moved to E36 M3 Factory endurance car

Quick Reply: GT3 is fun in the streets