Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My RS is ... for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC
I wasn't questioning the benefits of its use. Just questioning how its use is applied, relative to Redline's website, as stated by the OP pertaining to this RS only.

Redline appears to only advise "straight water in racing" (under the assumption all fluids are changed after each race) (and "racing" and "on track" [ie: DE] are different enough breeds to be not construed as the same)

and "reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates" (assuming not to contradict any manufacturer's directives regarding having coolant in the engine and/or maintaining certain coolant levels as to not void any car and/or engine warranty in place).

I guess the point being is that Redline's apparent postion is that Water Wetter is an "additive" instead of a "replacement" coolant.
It sounds like you are reading too much into the marketing and applying a few too many of your own assumptions.

Bottom line, water wetter and straight water is all you need in a car like the OP's (warm climate & frequent track use). If you have no plans to track the car and/or you live in cool climate then you really need to stick with the OEM coolant.

And for the record, not many track guys I know, change ALL the fluids after each event, as you suggested. And even the ones that I know who do, don't include a radiator flush (that's a 1-2 year service item) in the fluid change.

I say all this because I practice what I preach and observe the following with my cool climate cars:
street only - coolant/water
street/track-DE - coolant/water/water wetter
track-Race - water/water wetter
track-LeMons car - straight water
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

U forgot on your list:
Opponent's car in a race- water plus rust corrosion additives : ). Jk Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clifton
It sounds like you are reading too much into the marketing and applying a few too many of your own assumptions.
Am I reading too much into the marketing hype?

Who put it there in the first place?

If Redline themselves don't say its a coolant replacement, yet others say its so, then what other assumptions can be made between the two?

Bottom line, water wetter and straight water is all you need in a car like the OP's (warm climate & frequent track use). If you have no plans to track the car and/or you live in cool climate then you really need to stick with the OEM coolant.
Sounds like you work for Redline...

But irrespective of that, choosing to use water wetter with straight water was based on what?

And how many RSs that has been tracked that has resulted in detrimental results from using OEM coolant instead?

And for the record, not many track guys I know, change ALL the fluids after each event, as you suggested. And even the ones that I know who do, don't include a radiator flush (that's a 1-2 year service item) in the fluid change.
And that's the beauty of choice of a particular "track guy" to choose to change all their fluids or not. Some "track guys" even drive their track cars to and from the track...

However, I can state for certain that 100% of race teams will change all their fluids after each race. No assumptions made here.

I say all this because I practice what I preach and observe the following with my cool climate cars:
street only - coolant/water
street/track-DE - coolant/water/water wetter
track-Race - water/water wetter
track-LeMons car - straight water
In your list above, it appears water wetter was used as an "additive" to water and/or coolant then as a "replacement coolant". Apparently in accordance to what's stated on Redline's website.

But back to OP's RS, by running Redline water wetter, what is Porsche's position in running an engine, not in accordance to Porsche's fluid specs, where a new car and/or engine warranty is in place, where an engine failure has a occured, will Porsche place blame on use of water wetter?

And obviously, actual racing or out of warranty cars precludes answering.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Clifton
Pro

Am I reading too much into the marketing hype?.
Yes

If Redline themselves don't say its a coolant replacement, yet others say its so, then what other assumptions can be made between the two?
I thought we covered this, Water Wetter does not replace the primary function of coolant, i.e., anit-freeze.

And how many RSs that has been tracked that has resulted in detrimental results from using OEM coolant instead?
Ahem, lets go about this another way - can you point to a race car that competes in recognized series (e.g. SCCA, NASA, IMSA etc.) that uses OEM coolant?? I think you will find more than not that coolant is not used or not allowed. It creates a slippery mess on the track when an incident occurs, thus coolant has been banned by many sactioning bodies.

However, I can state for certain that 100% of race teams will change all their fluids after each race. No assumptions made here.
100% false

In your list above, it appears water wetter was used as an "additive" to water and/or coolant then as a "replacement coolant". Apparently in accordance to what's stated on Redline's website.
Exactly, I use it to replace coolant in cars that don't see freezing weather.

Last edited by Clifton; 12-22-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Yes
But lucky I don't believe hype as much as you do...

I thought we covered this, Water Wetter does not replace the primary function coolant, i.e., anit-freeze.
No wonder Redline stated its an additive...

But I don't understand why you keep answering a question that was never asked?

Ahem, lets go about this another way - can you point to race car that competes in recognized series (e.g. SCCA, NASA, IMSA etc.) that uses OEM coolant?? I think you will find more than not that coolant is not used or not allowed. It creates a slippery mess on the track when an incident occurs, thus coolant has been banned by many sactioning bodies.
Ahem:
and "racing" and "on track" [ie: DE] are different enough breeds to be not construed as the same
You apparently seem to can't differentiate between "tracked" and "racing" (I know, I know, racing is done on a track)

When was the last time you "tracked" aka "DEed" your car where OEM coolant was not allowed?

100% false
Seriously?

Then how do race teams who don't perform fluid changes after each race can apply preventative maintenance and/or check for wear and tear on engines and other components of their race car so they can reliably run their race car in a race and/or finish the race?

I don't recollect any podium finisher saying I'm glad my crew didn't change my coolant from my last race...

Race cars perform at substantially higher levels of temperatures and conditions then "tracked" aka "DEed" cars to leave it to chance their fluids will perform as advertised...

I'm glad some guys and their customers don't leave it to chance!

Exactly, I use it to replace coolant in cars that don't see freezing weather.
Straight or on the rocks?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Clifton
Pro

@IamSMC

I'm not sure I understand why you make such an effort in not making a point. Going back to the beginning, you asked:

Did you actually replace all the coolant entirely with water wetter?

My understanding of water wetter is that it an additive to coolant, not a coolant replacement.
To reiterate what mooty and I tried to help you understand - yes, water wetter can replace coolant, if used correctly.

The major point I think that is being missed is what pushes an owner to even consider using Water Wetter. Typically the motive to switch is out of concern for the safety of other drivers while operating your car on track. To help make your car "safe on track", you need to eliminate ALL the slippery OEM coolant from your engine. The preferred safe replacement is to run straight water, sans coolant. The rub in doing so, however, is corrosion damage to your engine. Mix water wetter with that straight water and you fix the rub while helping to make everyone a little safer, including your engine.

With a car that sees regular track duty, the need to eliminate coolant from the cooling system is something every driver should strongly consider, hence the water/water wetter usage by the OP. In a pure street car, using WW would be overkill unless you are chasing cooling issues.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going on here? Water wetter is an additive to be used in conjunction with distilled water. Use anything besides OEM coolant will void warranty? I didn't know Porsche is that strict LOL. Like other mentioned, running WW with coolant won't do jack.

Most people who track/DE their cars don't use coolant, because the antifreeze part is slick and can cause major accidents on track when leaks. People who use their car as weekend warriors add water wetter (a bottle or 2) to keep the water temp even cooler and for anti-corrosion purpose. Antifreeze part of the coolant only help the cooling system from freezing (hence the name), not to keep it cool.

Though I don't have Porsche but it is the same for all cars/make. BMW is know for overheating issues, so I run straight distill water and a bottle of WW on both of my M3. Even if and when it reaches below freezing temp here in Norcal, just keep the car garaged and it'll be fine.

I hope Mike didn't use gallons of water wetter. That would've been expensive LOL.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

^ hey, BMW is not a car. it's just a box with wheels.
your E30 stays.
dump the E46.
mike is selling the car to you.
u can't park with us if you keep showing up in BMW's ;-)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 AM
edwin814
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
^ hey, BMW is not a car. it's just a box with wheels.
your E30 stays.
dump the E46.
mike is selling the car to you.
u can't park with us if you keep showing up in BMW's ;-)
Hahaha. I knew you'd poke fun of my E46 again.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

wow, too many issues.

1. depend on where u live. if you live in a place that freezes over. use coolant
2. if coolant by itself still overheats, dont buy additive, buy a new car. my E36M3 overheated at infineon, i drove it to my mechanic and told him to keep it for free then bought another GT3.
3. if you run coolant, i know of no one adding WW to them. no need.
4. if you run water, you always add WW. i know of no one who runs just water without WW.
5. if you dont track, just run coolant.
6. if you track and like to live long, do not run coolant. when temp drops, dump the water when you store car and add water and ww when you drive. pain, i know.
7. WW doesn't replace water or coolant. it's an additive.

did someone ask about warranty?
fk warranty. car breaks, just fix it.
waiting for warranty approval and such... i have no time to waste.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:21 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

@IamSMC

I'm not sure I understand why you make such an effort in not making a point. Going back to the beginning, you asked:

To reiterate what mooty and I tried to help you understand - yes, water wetter can replace coolant, if used correctly.

The major point I think that is being missed is what pushes an owner to even consider using Water Wetter. Typically the motive to switch is out of concern for the safety of other drivers while operating your car on track. To help make your car "safe on track", you need to eliminate ALL the slippery OEM coolant from your engine. The preferred safe replacement is to run straight water, sans coolant. The rub in doing so, however, is corrosion damage to your engine. Mix water wetter with that straight water and you fix the rub while helping to make everyone a little safer, including your engine.

With a car that sees regular track duty, the need to eliminate coolant from the cooling system is something every driver should strongly consider, hence the water/water wetter usage by the OP. In a pure street car, using WW would be overkill unless you are chasing cooling issues.

I hope this helps.
And apparently you're still trying to answer a question that wasn't asked

The OP stated:

Originally Posted by mikymu
Replaced coolant with Redline water wetter

To which I asked if he actually replaced all his coolant with WW only

You assumed he added to water, but the OP's statement actually doesn't say that

I'm glad you and mooty know how to use WW, but its not clear if the OP does

Just because OP tracks, not race, his RS doesn't mean he has to use WW and if he's using WW, he's using it correctly per Redline's website: "straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates"

Which brings us to the point you missed, would you buy this RS if the OP didn't follow correct application of WW nor adhered to Porsche's specs regarding OEM coolant usage knowing he tracked his RS?

Hey, using WW incorrectly may or may not have an immediate affect/damage on the engine, but why spend $90k-$97k to find out?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edwin814
I hope Mike didn't use gallons of water wetter. That would've been expensive LOL.
Hence the reason I asked

But I just noticed the bottle does say "Super Coolant"

Originally Posted by mikymu
Replaced coolant with Redline water wetter

Old 12-23-2010, 01:31 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Just because OP tracks, not race, his RS doesn't mean he has to use WW and if he's using WW, he's using it correctly per Redline's website: "straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates"
===> mike and i trk together. i am pretty certain he 's not on 100% WW or else he would have bitched about the cost to me. ;-) he's cheap hahaha. he added WW to either water or coolant. he will chime in soon i think. he chose to run WW not for temp reasons but b/c we have a lot of GT3's here blowing out coolants and spinning. so the 6-10 GT3 that run together are now all on WW as we follow each other nose to tail and i would be very upset if my friend's car dumped coolant causing me to spin. that friend would no longer be a friend.

Which brings us to the point you missed, would you buy this RS if the OP didn't follow correct application of WW nor adhered to Porsche's specs regarding OEM coolant usage knowing he tracked his RS?
===> even with 100%WW, i would still buy the car. that wont be a prob.
===> with regard to not following porsche guidelines. i dont really care about their guidelines. they dont want you to run castro SRF, motul 600 etc,but 90% of the cars on track runs those. if they really want to ding you, they will. some ppl also run non approved oil. and most importantly if you tracked the car, a lot of things are no longer warranted. it really depends on your relationship with ur service dept. i have had some strange things that they warranted for me. and they even add NON-APPROVED stuff into my car. but another dealer i frequent will not do it. they only do it by the book. YMMV

Hey, using WW incorrectly may or may not have an immediate affect/damage on the engine, but why spend $90k-$97k to find out?
===> can't argue with that. this is a decision only the buyer can answer.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

^Mooty and I follow nose to nose and I dont want to be the one spilling coolant all over and cause him to spin or vice versa. I"ve spun when a car had an oil spill strewed all the way from t10 to t15 at thill and u are helpless to keep a rear engine rwd under control plus 9 other cars spun as well and thank god no one hit each other. I entered t10 spun to outside then back across track to the other side( I was waiting for a tbone and its not a steak- thank god it dodnt happen). In the track my premise is dont take neone out but myself if **** happens and **** does happen- u just gotta minimise the risk. Mike
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 AM
nct510
Advanced

Heh Mike, glws. Seems hard to believe after all the diy's and seeing you at the track, but like several have said, it's a slippery slope. ha.

Quick Reply: My RS is ... for sale