911 GT3 RS Harness selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 AM
indianam3
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 911 GT3 RS Harness selection

To All

I am the guy with the GT3 RS due in January that could not quit worrying until I has "talked down out of the tree" by this group. I have the bar purchased and on the way to the dealer, a GMG World Challenge Bar, and am now in the harness selection process. I have read prior posts in this forum, and from my experience, have confirmed from both I am going Schroth. I have tracked 3 or the 4 M3 variants and a Z4M coupe and loved the Schroth's, and the BMW's for that matter (flame suit on and ready). I have narrowed the list to 3 - the Euro, the ever popular Profi II, and the GT3 specific model. Which one would you pick? The link below contains all 3, just scroll down.

Thanks

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...profi/profi-II
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the gt3 belts in my rs. GMG did all the work including the roll cage.

I would stick with the gt3 belts because they simply bolt right in, no drilling or special mounting.

The other tough decision is to decide hans or no hans device.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 770 Posts

I am not sure if I have the the profi II passenger side and profi III (Hans) drivers side or the GT3 ones with 2" driver side and 3" passenger side.

They are great seat belts, I'd go with the GT3 model so you are sure they bolt right in and I don't see a difference in quality. I leave them hanging over the edge of the seat when I daily drive it and they are not in the way of the OEM ones.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

U should decide this in conjunction with the Hans. Hans-compatible shoulder belts are 2" wide as opposed to the standard 3".
Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,699 Likes on 2,342 Posts

profi II-6 HANS
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
profi II-6 HANS
+1

I have the GMG RSR bar- and like it very much. With the eye bolts, the belts can be removed from the car when you aren't tracking (the shoulder belts). Plus if you use the Schroth profi II Hans, you can have it set up so that the cam is attached to one of the shoulder belts instead of the sub belt, which allows you to pass the sub belt under the seat when not being used. Wright Motorsports did that for me and it's a very clean install.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
profi II-6 HANS
Yup. Profi II-6 HANS GT3 specific mounting. Quick and easy.

However- this solution is only good for however many G's the OE seat belt-mounts are good for. As I recall that is about 5 g's. The human body if properly supported and belted can survive 100 g's.

You can only get that kind of protection from a tub mounted harness system. Using eye bolts through the tub. I did this in my RS and it was not easy but not not terrible either. You will need a lift to make it easier. Mooty's race car has tub mounted belts, and I suspect he would not consider racing with seat mounted harness.

If you go tub mounted then RaceTech RTMALWH is an awesome solution. Fittings operate with buttery smoothness and 2" HANS specific portion of shoulder belts are backed with a sewn-in rubbery material to hold them onto your HANS. I think we have all experienced the belts slipping away from the HANS. They are the highest quality belt I have ever seen.

Food for thought, yes?

I have a bit of a winter project in progress on my RS and the RaceTech belts are replacing the existing Sparco belts.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on savy and mooty, no one knows better for GT cars then these 2 guys!

When i grow up I want to be like them ;P
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
indianam3
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Profi II-6 Hans it is, the one they call "The Mooty" is a legend. Scott40, I may PM you later in the process, my car is coming to Porsche of the Villiage in Cincy and they are sending it to Wright's for the install, I would like to know anything you have learned from the experience.

Thanks again to all, always great, timely, and accurate advice
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by indianam3
Profi II-6 Hans it is, the one they call "The Mooty" is a legend. Scott40, I may PM you later in the process, my car is coming to Porsche of the Villiage in Cincy and they are sending it to Wright's for the install, I would like to know anything you have learned from the experience.

Thanks again to all, always great, timely, and accurate advice
Absolutely. Just ordered my Cayenne from them. Will help however I can with Wright. I highly recommend them. I worked with Rick- super nice guy. They did an outstanding job on my installation which you are welcome to check out.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,699 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Mooty's race car has tub mounted belts, and I suspect he would not consider racing with seat mounted harness
===> yes, sub strap and lap belts all tub mounted to eyebolts that's welded to a plate that's welded to the tub. i think i should just weld my *** to the tub.

although going to tub is stronger, most dual purpose cars mount to seat bolts and wrap around sub bars.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

As an alternative for the OP, the OEM Clubsport package belts go right into the rub and not the seats. Downside... the sub belt isn't as flexible as the Profi-II since its camlock is affixed to the two thigh belts.

Why PCNA doesn't offer them I dunno. But in my own experience they fit right in and saves me from second-guessing on fitment and installation...

Quick Reply: 911 GT3 RS Harness selection