Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 "burping" coolant after being parked?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 "burping" coolant after being parked?

Hi all,

Tracked my car (997.1 GT3, 100% stock) over the weekend for the first time after a few months. it was a very hot day. only did a couple of laps, maybe no more than 5. drove her hard still on the way home, and foolishly parked in the garage and shut down without a proper cool down.

i normally slow down and take it easy the last few miles before getting home, but i was late for an appointment...

parked in the garage and everything fine. came back out about 30 mins later and noticed coolant (red fluid) all over the floor. assumed i'd blown a hose or something, perhaps because pressure had built up?

checked the fluid level in the reservoir this morning, and WTF... its at normal level. not quite at max, but well above min level. and when i rechecked the coolant spill under the car, there's quite a lot of it, but certainly nowhere near as much as you'd expect if it was some massive leak.

tech guy (extremely experienced German chap) said its possible that some coolant may have been forced out of some 1.5 bar pressure valve because of the heat. but of course he'd have to check to be sure.

any ideas?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Last week I had my 2007 GT3 in for tech inspection, they replaced blue coolant cap with black coolant cap, said that the blue caps leak. Do not know if there was a TSB on this....
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its some other leak i've got. car at the dealer, will update what they find. grrr....

Quick Reply: GT3 "burping" coolant after being parked?