Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Euro Spec GT3 Buckets Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Euro Spec GT3 Buckets Help

I found an original set of these locally from a guy who purchased them through the dealer, but didn't like the fit. The deal on them is really fair, but up until now I was convinced to buy the folding buckets. Now I'm stuck on which to buy. I've seen the Euros in person and they look great so no concerns about the condition. My questions to the forum:

Are the Euro Spec better/same (comfort) than the folding?
Do I stick with folding or pull the trigger on the Euro spec?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Clifton; 12-03-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have both; the Euro spec seats in my RS and the folding buckets in my Spyder. For my build (5'8" 155 lbs), both are equally comfortable, but I prefer the seating position in the Euro spec seats. For larger/heavier people, the folding buckets would likely be better.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Clifton
Pro

Thanks Jon! I just sat in them on the ground and they are snug (6'2" 190lbs). Any issues with long road trips or extended periods behind the wheel?

Did you dealer install them? Any tips or tricks for install (deactivate airbag and seat sensor)?

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny, I have both too --> all fabric Euro spec in my RS, and folding buckets in my Spyder. I am about 5'10, 170 lbs, and for me, both are very comfortable. I too prefer the Euro spec seats -- they are absolutely perfect in every way, and extremely comfortable, even on long drives. The folding buckets are clearly wider, especially at the shoulder level, so they may be better for larger folks. The Euro spec seats seriously transformed the feel of the RS -- no more sliding around on tight turns, and the seating position (slightly forward) really makes you feel like you are driving the car. I love them. The only potential downside for either bucket is getting in and out -- clearly more difficult than with the "regular" seats. But, no big deal, and once you are used to it, definitely worth the (slightly extra) effort.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

"Did you dealer install them? Any tips or tricks for install (deactivate airbag and seat sensor)?"

I had the dealer install mine. If I remember correctly, they installed a longer seat belt receptacle. In addition, they did need to go into the computer to deactivate an airbag warning light. With the Euro spec seats, there are two height settings -- high and low. You need to pick one (it is fixed, once installed). I would definitely go with the lower setting.

Last edited by zellamsee; 12-03-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I had the dealer install mine. If I remember correctly, they installed a longer seat belt receptacle. In addition, they did need to go into the computer to deactivate an airbag warning light. With the Euro spec seats, there are two hight settings -- high and low. You need to pick one (it is fixed, once installed). I would definitely go with the lower setting.
I just spoke with the tech and received a similar message. Since my old seats are Adaptive Sports, they contain a occupancy weight sensor. Removing the seat, removes the sensor and the car needs to be told not to look for it. He said that he has to tell the car's airbag brain that it is an RS and thus ignore the missing sensor.

Good to know about the hight adjustment. I just looked at the seats and did see what you mean. There are 4 bolts on each side of the seat rail plate . Two front/rear for high and two for low as you described.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Euro spec unless you're circumference challenged.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Clifton, I am by no means a mechanic, but I did the install alone in my garage. The electronics of the seat just slide apart. A Porsche dealer needs access to the PIWIS to switch off the seat sensor and seat airbag lights.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

I have the Perlon/cloth Euro seats (as pictured, CGT style) in my GT3 and they are wonderful. Perfect fit and very comfortable. I've sat in and driven cars with the folding sport buckets and i prefer my seats. As noted, the smaller you are the better the Euro/CGT seats fit (I'm 5'6", 158 lbs.). I installed them myself and had an Ind shop do the PIWIS to turn off lights.

wsh
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Clifton
Pro

Below is a pic of the driver's side. They were in too nice a shape to pass, so I did pull the trigger on the set. Some hardware was missing so those parts are on order and they will go in next week.

Worth noting, the part numbers are different for the seatbelt receptacle for the buckets so zellamsee's tip above was very helpful. The tech indicated he has done swaps before and did not know this. I'm sure the stock seats receptacle is fine, but we are going to compare them when they come in to see if the longer ones add any value.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon70
Clifton, I am by no means a mechanic, but I did the install alone in my garage. The electronics of the seat just slide apart. A Porsche dealer needs access to the PIWIS to switch off the seat sensor and seat airbag lights.
Originally Posted by WSH
I installed them myself and had an Ind shop do the PIWIS to turn off lights.
You guys are right. The install is very simple for the Do It Yourselfer (7 bolts per side). I'd like to do it myself to save the 3 labor charge, but the car will have to go back no matter what to turn off the airbag light (1/3 of the cost). As such, I may just have them do it all at once.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Congrats.

You can see the longer receptacles in this photo.
Attachment 493683

Last edited by zellamsee; 02-16-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Well done. I'm on the hunt for the Euro Spec fabric RS version of these.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Nizer; 12-03-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

You know, a big bonus of those seats is the harness holes have two levels. I am, 6'1" and on the stock sport buckets, the harness compresses your spine when it is cinched tightly. Raising the resting point (by using the upper harness slot) shifts the pivot point so it pushes you back into the seat rather than down. I would love to know if those pieces can somehow be retrofitted to the stock seats. Anyone? I saw someone else who had fabricated a piece to "fill in" the hole so the harness rested higher up.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
Worth noting, the part numbers are different for the seatbelt receptacle for the buckets so zellamsee's tip above was very helpful. The tech indicated he has done swaps before and did not know this. I'm sure the stock seats receptacle is fine, but we are going to compare them when they come in to see if the longer ones add any value.
I installed the fixed back CGT seats in my 2007 RS to replace my stock buckets on the track. I originally used the seat belt receptcles from the OE seats but found it very difficult to fasten the 3 pt belts for driving on the street. I ordered the longer seat belt receptacles which are for the P03 sport bucket seat (folding GT2 seat you referred to). That is why there are 4 part numbers; 2 for the OE bucket (passenger and driver but both are the same length) and 2 for the P03 Sport Bucket (aka GT2 seat). If I recall correctly the passenger side receptacle is the longer of the 2 (see image below). Using the longer P03 seat belt receptacles made it much easier to fasten the seat belts.
Left to right; OE seat belt receptacle, P03 Driver side, P03 Passenger side

I have the P03 seats in my 2010 RS. As far as comfort is concerned I find the P03 is more comfortable on the street than the CGT seats (I am 6'0" 175#) and adequate for the track. Once properly adjusted I find the CGT seat is better on the track. Depending on the seat brackets you use you can change the tilt in small increments which I found very useful since I use a HANS device while driving on the track. If the seat is too upright the HANS hits the seat back and tilts ones head a bit downward. I pitched the seat back to compensate and now the seating position is very comfortable. The lesson I learned with the CGT seat is that if you intend to use them for the track adjust the seating position with a helmet on (especially if you use a HANS) to find the optimal position.

Quick Reply: Euro Spec GT3 Buckets Help