Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

repairing 3-pc wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 02:16 PM
hesperus
Racer

Default repairing 3-pc wheels

hi all,

i live in the Philippines and there must be something about our very acidic rain/water here, or the climate, or something, but my OZ 3-pc wheels (Superleggera III) have developed slow leaks. like the pressure drops several PSI consistently, then stays there.

have had the tires checked, they're fine.

the valves are fine too.

then i noticed that there would be a black, oily substance that would be oozing out from somewhere along the rims.

had the wheels checked at Porsche, and they said it was the sealing material or gasket or whatever material put between the pieces of the rim, somehow deteriorating. the German tech at the dealer said he'd never seen it happen before, but then again, he's only been assigned here in my country for a month.

Any ideas how i would go about repairing the wheels? i was told if i could order the gasket or whatever the sealing part is, along with a new set of titanium studs, and the torque specs, then my tech guy at Porsche could do it.

but Tire Rack who i understand is the OZ dealer said they don't sell those bits separately. So do i have no choice but to ship the wheels back to the factory or wherever for repairing?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2010 | 12:22 PM
hesperus
Racer

no one?
Old 12-06-2010 | 12:54 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

You shouldn't need new bolts. Obviously as you have discovered, the sealing ring (or whatever method used) failed. The wheels need to be disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, reassembled, torqued to spec, and sealed. The procedure is easy with the right tools (torque wrench, 10pt spline drive) and the proper sealant (I use Toyota Seal 102 aka. FPIG). It's important to make sure the mating surfaces are clean and scuffed up to allow proper adhesion of the sealant.
Old 12-06-2010 | 01:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok I ll give a shot.
Most split rims at some point develop air leaks.
Considering you have no OZ dealer there to do the job and before you ship them abroad and pay crazy money, I would suggest that, considering that none of the wheels is bent or cracked and the slow leaks are indeed caused from the main gasket failing, you seal the air leaks using silicone or a hi temp sealant RTV.
The black liquid that runs from them probably is trapped dirt and brake dust that comes out I can’t believe that the OZ rubber gasket has actually melted unless someone has used a repair sealant at some points and that is what's failing.. : )

So dismount the tire, clean well the area where the two parts of the rim join and then put a bead of sealant around the entire circumference press it with a spatula a bit to ensure coverage and remember to let it dry for 24hours before remounting the tire.

This is a cheap experiment and there is a chance that you will solve all your problems.
If not then write an email to OZs technical department and explain that you have no dealer there and that you would like them to send you a new seal, bolts and importantly torque specs for them.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2010 | 01:15 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

In addition to what John said, be sure the bolts are torqued evenly and to spec (20ish ft-lbs) before applying the bead of sealant. I have rebuilt 3 different sets of 3pc wheels using FPIG as sealant and none of them have leaked air. Apply the first bead, wait 24hrs, and if you want extra security, apply a second wider bead, wait 24hrs. As said before, make sure the area is very clean or the sealant may not stick properly.
Old 12-06-2010 | 01:16 PM
hesperus
Racer

thanks man
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

slow 911 is right on.
and that's why i dont buy OZ's b/c dealer support is not good.
ALL 3pc wheels will eventually leak, you need shop support.

Quick Reply: repairing 3-pc wheels