Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sec choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
boxerman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sec choices

Seems there are quite a few cars at dealers to purchase, and even the possibilty of specing a newbuild slot.
I would use the car for some weekend drives and as many track days as possible like 5-10 per year(sadly must work). It does not need to be any type of daily.
Some questions
Is the front axle lifting system desirabe or necessary, are there drawbacks.
What abot the Cf sport buckets, are they reasonable comfortable, worthwhile?
Dynamic engine mounts, sounds like a good idea, few cars have them, is there an issue with this system, worthwhile?
Lastly the Rs is more but not break the bank more(to the extent the whole car already cost a lot), the Rs wing to me is like a cop magnet on the street. To the extent these cars can be subtle and belend in a grey Gt3 seems to firt the bill. But as track play is a priority, is the RS really woth it, assuming that one could stretch to it if it really was just the "thing". Is a regular and rs really that different, the english mags seem to feel that the Rs is better in every way including ont he street.
Going to pull the trigger soon, so any experienced feedback would be aprreciated.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Your situation will determine desirability/necessity of front axle lifting system. I've not touched my front spoiler in 3k of driving but if you are going to drive your car everywhere and anywhere, for example into unknown parking garages, and/or you deal with a sharp angled driveways then you might want it. Note that there have been some reports of issues with the system from a few users.

DEMs are a must in my book especially if you plan to track the car as you say. Seamless and no reports of which I'm aware of issues.

CF seats are also a must for track work. Plenty comfortable over long distances for most, although I personally find them somewhat lacking in underthigh support (but I appear to be in the minority).

I see no downside to driving the RS on the street and the gearing differences and wider front track over the standard GT3 are a clear advantage on the track.

I don't get hassled by the cops but I don't drive stupid on the street. You will likely get a few more thumbs up from other enthusiasts.

Good luck with your shopping.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
RS77
Advanced

I have had two GT3's and got an RS this time as I really felt that this might be one of the more special cars that Porsche has made. In my experience, the 997 GT3 was already a huge improvement in ride quality over the 996, a quality that made driving it in the city and two and from the track much more livable. The 997 RS.2 is a further step forward, with superb ride quality on the street and the big wing, short gearing and wider front track make it a step again forward from my 997 GT3.1

The only noticeable drawbacks for the .2 RS over the .1 GT3 are the wing on the street - which is angled such that you cant see anything out of the back (like the CHP), though I hear that the new GT3 wing is just as bad. The graphics on the RS are somewhat attention grabbing also. I find the car attracts enthusiast attention, and people wanting to race you, but I think if you behave yourself on the highway it isn't going to be any different from any other car. The nose lifting system is really dependent on need - for my own usage, it is transformational and makes a huge difference, the car does not bang it's nose anywhere, and I would definitely tick that box. They are all superb cars though, and the difference between a new GT3 and and RS is not great that you will be disappointed by either car. They are as good as drivers' cars come and I think will be looked back upon as among Porsche's best ever productions.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 AM
gooner
Instructor

saw someone had removed the wing on the .2RS for street driving ? is this feasable?

Quick Reply: Sec choices