Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ok. I heart the GT3 again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Ok. I heart the GT3 again...

Got it back on Friday night after almost 2 months of it being on a lift. Weissach were being stingy on a part so I had to wait it out.

Anyway, they got the part on Weds afternoon. Had everything reinstalled and road tested by Friday afternoon.

The car ran great (knock on wood) at Sebring yesterday. Got promoted to instructor while I was there. Scary if you've ever seen me drive

I think I took a hit to my confidence after the whole coolant plug/mass evacuation of fluid/high speed spin through turn 17. Essentially I found myself being a total ***** out there, running way off my pace. Hopefully a couple more days without incident will shake those feelings off.

Overall, it was nice being back behind the wheel again. Even though its a very frightening car to drive fast, it is a hell of a lot of fun. And more importantly, you look cool while you're doing it
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you weld the plugs into the coolant manifold them popped out of?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Congrats on getting instructor!
You and your car are back in the saddle again. That's most importantYour confidence will come back. There is no rush, it's not racing after all.

Was it a PCA event?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Congrats

Sebring like Florida
No snow there I imagine
Run water Nd eater wetter.

Coolant is technically not allowed on trk. If someone elses coolant cause me to go off, his car would b least his worries. I will hunt him down and .......
Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I was there today, did you leave Saturday?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Did you weld the plugs into the coolant manifold them popped out of?
No, I passed on that. I still think that is the way to go but I was diving into gray areas with regards to the warranty. I still have a year left and wasn't looking to give Porsche any reasons to deny a claim.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Congrats on getting instructor!
You and your car are back in the saddle again. That's most importantYour confidence will come back. There is no rush, it's not racing after all.

Was it a PCA event?
Thanks! Yes, it was a PCA event. From what I've been told I can teach at Chin too.

I definitely need more seat time to get my head straight after the T17 incident.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
Congrats

Sebring like Florida
No snow there I imagine
Run water Nd eater wetter.

Coolant is technically not allowed on trk. If someone elses coolant cause me to go off, his car would b least his worries. I will hunt him down and .......
Yep, Sebring Florida. I live in the Tampa area. I have considered WW. I'm still trying to determine if our client is safe enough. We do get periods here where it will get below freezing for short periods of time. I brought up WW to the dealer and they had more concerns about the rust inhibition and lubrication properties of WW. I ran it in my motorcycles on track. However, those motors were less less $ than a GT3 engine
Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I was there today, did you leave Saturday?
Yes, I went through the instructor school and check out rides on Saturday, got my certificate, and hauled *** home to go see the Bucs win today instead

How was the day today? It would seem that the weather was at least perfect!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Yep, Sebring Florida. I live in the Tampa area. I have considered WW. I'm still trying to determine if our client is safe enough. We do get periods here where it will get below freezing for short periods of time. I brought up WW to the dealer and they had more concerns about the rust inhibition and lubrication properties of WW. I ran it in my motorcycles on track. However, those motors were less less $ than a GT3 engine
if you have frozen weather, yes, there's a problem. but i would either not drive during those times or put ww in there when i go on track. i dont know about rust issues. but i rather rust out my engine the meet a wall when coolant comes out. i did that at T9, that turns is such that if you go off 90% you hit something big and hard. it's a fast turn and when you lose it, you have no where to go. i got REALLY lucky, my rear end was 3 " or so from wall. if i hit the wall, it's the engine, bumper, fenders blah blah blah. a lot more money then just a rusted engine.

i woudln't trust dealer anyways. when they saw my -3.5 camber, they swear my upright was broken.

i see more and more coolant line popping issue on CA track. everyone wants porsche to fix the prob. sure great. but in the meantime, WE can make it safer.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gongratulations on becoming an instructor. It sure is a lot of fun. You get to drive all kinds of cars. (students anyhow).

Now your water problem. No I am not a doctor. Nor do I play one on tv. I am asking about your coolant issue. We have had quite a few turbo 997's lose their coolant because of the "part". Does this also an issue with the GT3? We just havn't seen that yet here.

Mooty, I agree with your feelings about coolant instead of straight water. I would prefer water as the inherant dangerous issues with the slippery coolant, but National hasn't mentioned this at all. I have brought this up with our insurance and our safety chair and they don't want to discuss the issue of an antifreeze ban. Our tracks in the NW still allow antifreeze in the water.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are back and glad you ain't in no stickin GTR
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom Pritchett
Gongratulations on becoming an instructor. It sure is a lot of fun. You get to drive all kinds of cars. (students anyhow).

Now your water problem. No I am not a doctor. Nor do I play one on tv. I am asking about your coolant issue. We have had quite a few turbo 997's lose their coolant because of the "part". Does this also an issue with the GT3? We just havn't seen that yet here.

Mooty, I agree with your feelings about coolant instead of straight water. I would prefer water as the inherant dangerous issues with the slippery coolant, but National hasn't mentioned this at all. I have brought this up with our insurance and our safety chair and they don't want to discuss the issue of an antifreeze ban. Our tracks in the NW still allow antifreeze in the water.
i know pca is silent on this issue.
i may be wrong, as i obtained 4 licenses in last year (nasa scca poc pca) so may be confused. but i recall some organization mentioned racing only with water or ww.

YES, GT3 of ALL VARIANTS, may have coolant issues. and it's not always the same spot. some have the bracket on the hose come off, some hoses pop (like bad case of aneurysm) some from front wheel well area, some from rear wheel area. i am NOT making this up. my car was rear. my friends was front, and someone on RL had popped hoses. one of my car had the prob. my dealer 'fix' it per book (not their fault, it's per book, warranty did it, happened on track fri, tow to them fri, they worked overtime on sat, i am back on track sun). car sold to a buddy, it had another coolant issue.... i know it's hard to convince ppl. but once a person drive over coolant a few times, and get close to the wall, trust me, you will be running water in no time even in freezing weather.

btw, like i said, the failure has many different MODES, dont think you threaded the connection you are golden. if i ever keep a car over 24 months, i replace ALL coolant related fittings and hoses. i just did that on my stripper. it was $$$. over $1000 from independent tech with discount. the parts was $$$ too. but i dont want to see a split on my hoses and know that the hose on MY car caused ME or SOMEONE else to eat the wall.

until PAG fix it, we need to protect ourselves.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Mooty, I guess the answer is to run the 964 and 993's. No coolant issues.

The turbos that have lost their coolant at our events seems to be the same part. The hose to the block. Too bad, some times the driver doesn't realize it for 3/4 of a lap on line at our track. It really makes a mess. We have determined that if we put out the yellow for 1 session, while driving on it at lower speeds, it drys it up pretty quickly.

Sorry for the thread hijack deputy dog.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Well Mooty, I guess the answer is to run the 964 and 993's. No coolant issues.
i know, that's why oil/air cooled guys hate water pumper guys.

The turbos that have lost their coolant at our events seems to be the same part. The hose to the block. Too bad, some times the driver doesn't realize it for 3/4 of a lap on line at our track.
that's not same part i lost. i lost all coolant in one turn. spun, engine shuts off, tried to retart to get to paddock, it overheats immediately.

Quick Reply: Ok. I heart the GT3 again...