Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shout out to Rad (NJ-GT) and his alignment magic

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just want to clarify. Swapping the strut mounts gains you 0.8 degrees camber without sacrificing any castor? Good to know as swapping the strut mounts clears up some room for wide rubber up front.

I was under the impression that the rear uprights are the same between .1 and .2, but the fronts are different.

-Dino

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- The 997.1 and 997.2 front strut mounts (camber plates) keep the caster when rotated, but gain 0.8 degrees of negative camber. The 996 GT3 camber plates lose about 0.5 degrees of caster when rotated.

- Porsche changed the rear wheel carriers in the 2010 GT3 (and RS likely), it is tough to torque them to 74 lbs, I used a 4 ft long bar to tighten them.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm

I was under the impression that the rear uprights are the same between .1 and .2, but the fronts are different.

-Dino
Yes, they are different between 996, 997.1 and 997.2, the 996 ones lose caster when rotated, the 997.1 doesn't and neither does the 997.2, which is amazing.

When I had the 996 GT3 I bought a set of camber plates from Manthey Racing, they gave me another 0.2 degrees of camber compared to the stock 996 GT3 tops rotated, but they also gave me an extra degree of caster (ended up being 1.5 degrees more caster because I was running the rotated tops). The car was easier to drive, and I liked it better, the Manthey camber plates were expensive, something like $1300.

The 997.2 ended up with a nice amount of caster, 9.3 degrees, lovely. I can barely get 6.8 in the Fiat, no matter what I do with spacers changing the angles of the lower and upper a-arms.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

+1

I don't know Rad, never even PMed him, but from the early years of the 6GT3 ownership, his tests (together with a few other members) were a great help. Back then I didn't even had another GT3 around here, let alone someone to test suspension setups and tyres and discuss it with.
So thank you as well.

PS. For that reason I even "look the other way" now that he went to the Dark Side. : )
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I love caster too. I got 8.5 degrees out of my S2000, and 3.5 of camber. 9.3 is great.

Yes, they are different between 996, 997.1 and 997.2, the 996 ones lose caster when rotated, the 997.1 doesn't and neither does the 997.2, which is amazing.

When I had the 996 GT3 I bought a set of camber plates from Manthey Racing, they gave me another 0.2 degrees of camber compared to the stock 996 GT3 tops rotated, but they also gave me an extra degree of caster (ended up being 1.5 degrees more caster because I was running the rotated tops). The car was easier to drive, and I liked it better, the Manthey camber plates were expensive, something like $1300.

The 997.2 ended up with a nice amount of caster, 9.3 degrees, lovely. I can barely get 6.8 in the Fiat, no matter what I do with spacers changing the angles of the lower and upper a-arms.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah Rad is Da Bomb! Never buy / align / prep a track car he has owned without poking him for insight.

the problem is he cost me a big check for the Fast Fiat (albeit one with a 1980s stereo!) that on street tires ended up being faster than my GT2!

However, I'm not such a passionate wrench-man so I only follow advice on the lighter stuff. I leave trying out 285 fronts to others like mooty! I just like to drive...

Last edited by cgomez; 11-09-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

- Sierra Nevada is among the best. By the way, one of the two founders Paul Camusi, is a long time Porsche Club racer, races GT3 Cups, and owns a few other 911s.
06 cup
09 cup
maybe early cup?
911 spec
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Rad, why can't you put the front bar full stiff on the '10 and '11s? What is the consequence if you do?

For those looking for track levels of camber (about -2.5), do you recommend both rotating and shimming (like on the 996) or just rotating?

The reason I'm asking is I am having a problem that I think you may be the only one knowledgeable enough to solve. I had an alignment done to -2.5 front, shimmed, struts not rotated, lower control arm put in the back hole (rather than the centered one), front bar was set full stiff. The problem was the suspension, under hard compression and a bump, would lock down one full inch lower than stock. If you turned the wheel 180 degrees in either direction, it would release and go back to the stock height. Two dealers couldn't figure it out. The struts were removed but didn't appear to bind in their travel. There were no obvious areas of rubbing. Putting the car back to stock and the front bar full soft seemed to resolve (or at least hide the problem).

I need to figure out what to tell them to do when they align it again (I NEED more camber up front). The choices are, rotate the struts, +/- shims, and should I use the center hole on the lower control arm or the back one? Do you think droplinks are needed in order to tighten the front sway bar to remove preload? I am having a lot of trouble finding any one knowledgeable source and I figure you are my best shot. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnr265
Rad, why can't you put the front bar full stiff on the '10 and '11s? What is the consequence if you do?

For those looking for track levels of camber (about -2.5), do you recommend both rotating and shimming (like on the 996) or just rotating?

The reason I'm asking is I am having a problem that I think you may be the only one knowledgeable enough to solve. I had an alignment done to -2.5 front, shimmed, struts not rotated, lower control arm put in the back hole (rather than the centered one), front bar was set full stiff. The problem was the suspension, under hard compression and a bump, would lock down one full inch lower than stock. If you turned the wheel 180 degrees in either direction, it would release and go back to the stock height. Two dealers couldn't figure it out. The struts were removed but didn't appear to bind in their travel. There were no obvious areas of rubbing. Putting the car back to stock and the front bar full soft seemed to resolve (or at least hide the problem).

I need to figure out what to tell them to do when they align it again (I NEED more camber up front). The choices are, rotate the struts, +/- shims, and should I use the center hole on the lower control arm or the back one? Do you think droplinks are needed in order to tighten the front sway bar to remove preload? I am having a lot of trouble finding any one knowledgeable source and I figure you are my best shot. Thanks in advance for your input.
I can't help with dealers, they do things in so many different ways, you should have the work done by a race shop. Deman or SpeedSport (Spencer) can do so much better than any Porsche dealer.

Your struts must be binding. In any case, go back to you center hole for the front LCA, no need to rotate tops to obtain just -2.5 (not enough in my opinion), just put shims, 10mm should be fine. If you want to run a wider front tire, rotate the tops, it takes 30 minutes per side, and you gain room for 20mm wider tires, or even more.

The front bar at full stiff is a problem with the 996, 997.1 and 997.2 GT cars, too much pre-load, the angle of the links make them bend. On the 996, the car will hit the LCA, on both 997 you lose a lot of suspension travel. If you need to use that hole, just soften the rear bar one hole.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Rad, thanks for the reply. The original alignment was done by a speed shop but I was thinking of trying the dealer this time so they can't blame someone else for a defective part if it comes to that.

Is there any way the front bar on full stiff could have caused the binding?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnr265
Rad, thanks for the reply. The original alignment was done by a speed shop but I was thinking of trying the dealer this time so they can't blame someone else for a defective part if it comes to that.

Is there any way the front bar on full stiff could have caused the binding?
No way the sway bar at full stiff would do that.

However, the not so genius idea to move the trust arm to attach on the eccentric hole in the LCA could do. You're pushing the whole wheel carrier longitudinally, taking away vertical movement and adding lateral stress, that cause spring binding and strut binding, and looking from the front of the car the struts are already in angle. Hence my suggestion to go back to the LCA center hole.

Quick Reply: Shout out to Rad (NJ-GT) and his alignment magic