Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche Charge o Matic II HOT! 2nd dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

TB: What's the longest you've left a car with this procedure?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery charger seems to "boil' the battery dry.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by ymc226
I've been using the Porsche Charge O Matic II (Ctek 3300) trickle charger since I got my 2007 GT3 new whenever I plan on not driving the car 4 or 5 days.

In the winter, I leave the charger plugged in (via cigarette lighter) 4 months as I don't drive it at all.

For the last 2 occasions that I've used the charger, it has been unnaturally very hot to touch on the bottom (usually warm only). Today, I went to start the car and it was completely dead. Not even the dash lighted up.

Do you think the charger is at fault, killing the battery or vice versa?
My car was sitting a lot when I owned it, months at a time and I never had a problem with the battery or the maintainer. I assume you lock the car when it is not in use so it can go into "sleep mode" and then open it by manually unlocking the door and then disarming the alarm on the remote before you pull the door open?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 PM
k4site
Instructor

The battery will not work on current 997 as the system shuts down after so many hours on non use. ( I do not how many) I had to wire it directly to the batttery not big job
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by k4site
The battery will not work on current 997 as the system shuts down after so many hours on non use. ( I do not how many) I had to wire it directly to the batttery not big job
Your charger will still work if plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter provided you lock your car and allow it to go into sleep mode. That's the advice I got from my dealer and it worked for me for 3 years.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM
alleyne
2nd Gear

can you plug into any of the three 12v sockets on 997 or does it have to be cigar lighter
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
The battery charger seems to "boil' the battery dry.
I have heard reports of that.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by alleyne
can you plug into any of the three 12v sockets on 997 or does it have to be cigar lighter
The factory recommends using the cigarette lighter. I suspect it is because it is protected by a larger fuse.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
shonuf
Addict
Rennlist Member

a key factor in battery longevity in ensuring that the electrolyte solution in each of the cells is at the proper level. the fluid can be topped off with distilled water. long term trickle charger use exacerbates the problem
and will kill your battery. a check every 3 months will be preventative.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
alleyne
2nd Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by ADias
The factory recommends using the cigarette lighter. I suspect it is because it is protected by a larger fuse.
charge-o-mat goes to fault light anyway when I pluged into auxilary 12v socket,I had bad connection at cigar socket but working fine now
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
I have my original batteries in both '07 (#2513 #3115)and my '08 RS(#2191) and have NEVER used a trickle charger on any of them.

When I finish driving one of them and I know that it will sit for more than 72 hours (which is often) I simple pop the hood and disconnect the ground wire to the negative terminal.

I rest the ground wire off to the side and rest the hood latch on a shop towel so that it can not close completely (hood opener is electric, remember...). I keep a 10mm wrench with the car.

No chance of screw-ups or mishaps or idiots tripping over wires !

This process takes 30 seconds and has worked very well for me........

I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S.
Anyone else use this technique? Any reason why you wouldn't disconnect both positive and negative leads? Closed circuit so disconnecting negative breaks the circuit and eliminates any charge drain??

Electricity not my thing, hence the questions. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
gr8vision
7th Gear

So what is the consensus? What is the best device to keep a battery in a Porsche charged if not driving for months? Is the Porsche Charge-o-Mat II Battery Charger a good device, or some other?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no need to take both cables off (+ & -) you just need to 'break' the circuit to stop electron flow. The Negative is selected (and should always be the first cable off if you removing the battery altogether) so if you slip with the spanner you don't make a circuit (direct short) which would turn you battery into an mini arc welder and possible blow up or at best spark and make you jump!.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:47 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8vision
So what is the consensus? What is the best device to keep a battery in a Porsche charged if not driving for months? Is the Porsche Charge-o-Mat II Battery Charger a good device, or some other?
Doubt if you'll find a consensus. Just opinions based on who and what each person happens to believe. Even among Electrical Engineers like me there will be differing opinions.

Have never let my Fun Car sit for a week, much less 4 months, so I don't have specific experience. I have designed small power controllers, both linear and switching for military weapons systems, but they were only ancillary circuits necessary to get my primary task completed.

However, if faced with such a situation, I would first make sure the battery is healthy. Battery health is another topic, but if it had a problem in the past and/or was more than 4 years old, I would replace it before going into long term storage. Then I would use the KISS principle like The Baron suggested. That is because every part you add, especially temporary connections, will increase the risk of failure. I have used trickle chargers on my Harley and Big Dog Motorcycles, but never on my Fun Car. Then again most people who use trickle chargers never have any problems with them. Hope my ramblings didn't confuse you. I tend to be a bit **** about reducing problems with my electronics.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Always used Battery Tenders with no issues. Right now there are 8 cars and 3 motorcycles hooked up to them. Tried the Porsche Charge O Mat plugged into the cig lighter. The charger took a dump sometime during the winter and double killed my battery. Had to use the fuse block trick to open the hood to change the battery. Won't uses that charger again and won't close my hood all the way when it's resting.

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge o Matic II HOT! 2nd dead battery