Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question for those with lift system

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Question for those with lift system

I have the lift system on my car and I have found that even after I have been driving the car, the lift system doesn't always fully lift in a reasonable amount of time. By that, I mean that it can take 5 minutes or more for the lift indicator on the dash to say it is fully up.

This is a problem because you cannot release the lift unless it is all the way up. The irony is, it does lift most of the way in the first few seconds. So for example, tonight, I loaded the car onto the trailer, activated the lift, car went up enough to clear, then once on the trailer, it won't say it has lifted all the way and so I cannot release the lift by pressing the button again. I sit there and wait with the car idling 5-10 minutes, still no lift message on the dash. After a while, the orange led on the lift button itself goes out but the car is still in the lifted position. Press the button again, still won't lift all the way.

This behavior is sporadic. Sometime, the lift works perfectly. I know in the manual, it states if the car is sitting, it can take a few minutes for the lift to go up but this can happen after I have just driven the car for 20 minutes. Anyone else experience anything like this? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This does not sound normal at all, I suggest you take is to the dealer. Sounds like you have a pressure issue.
I tap my lift button and it is good in about 3-5 seconds. If the lift has been activated for more than about a minute usually will hear the hiss as it releases pressure.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

Mine does not act like this; it seems to take anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds, max, regardless of how long I have been driving.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Stentor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. I press the button, and the car lifts (I can go up the driveway without scraping), but the "lift" indicator never lights up on the dash. Then, the only way to get the car to de-lift is to drive more than 40 mph (then I hear the hiss indicating that the pressure has been released). Occasionally, the "lift" indicator does light up, then everything works perfectly (push button and pressure releases). This problem started after about 5 months of normal function. I haven't made a big deal out of it, but I certainly will be bringing it to my dealer's attention the next time I take the car in.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does not sound normal. I use my lift almost everytime I drive my car, and the lift takes no more than a few seconds to go up (usually in two seconds or shorter.)

I remember that you are the fellow who bottomed-out your car in some spiritual driving, and had some wired suspension problem (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ease-help.html
). I think last time you mentioned that you returned the alignment to factory-spec, how did it go? Do you think your lift problem might be related to that?

Regards,
Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine usually rises in 2-3 sec... on the odd occassion it may take up to 5-6 seconds before the lift light comes on at the dash but the car can be seen to have risen immediately. You would either have a slight leak which causes it to not get to full height or some sort of switch/sensor problem that detects when the car has reached full height. Definitely see the dealer....
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine goes "out of sequence" at times. I have to hit the button again or drive over 40 to get it to drop. It always goes up, but is inconsistent when going down.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

On a side note fellas, the car will not drop if a door is open. This is for safety reasons apparently. On a number of occasions early on, I would forget it raised and notice as I was walking away so I would return to lower it. I would sit in the car with the door open hitting the botton 20-30 times with no success... After being stooged a few times, I worked out that with the doors closed, down she goes....
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

You need to have your speed lower than 30 mph for the lift to operate....that could be why it is taking so long....mine works in 2-3 sec when at operating speed and will wait to lift if speed is above that.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,578 Likes on 2,328 Posts

by the seat of my pants I would say the lift light comes on in less than 10 secs normally.

It could be my imagination but it seems to be slower while the car is moving vs. standstill ... either way it is in the order of seconds not minutes ...

have you tried raising parked vs. driving???

Quick Reply: Question for those with lift system