Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Harry's LapTimer Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Harry!! Wow glad to see you on this site and welcome! Thank you for an excellent product. This is by far the best $15 I've spent on AppStore bar none.

For those who don't know, there's an iPad version of HLT that's better at visualizing laptimes and comparing lap-by-lap info. It's a good companion to the timer (which in my case stays with the car; when I get into the paddock I bluetooth the sessions to the iPad to share/review with other drivers).

Now that I've buttered you up , can I please ask you to consider the following features for future updates?

- Horizontal screen support in timer & racer modes... the phone mounted sideways doesn't block as much of the windscreen. Plus that's how most users will take videos (i suppose)...
- Defer video overlay processing to after-the-run... I can see the phone's laboring to time, record and overlay on the fly and sometimes that results in videos being dropped every other lap like 24Cr mentioned. I suppose a batch job AFTER the finish line (or manually triggered) can save alleviate that?
- Expand the number of data channels extracted from OBD-II. Brakes and temps come to mind.

Net net I think you've pushed this little app a LONG way over the past 18 months and I applaud your efforts. Where do you see the limit for this app given the iPhone's hardware? I look forward to the day when HLT becomes a true datalogger to rival our AIM/Racelogic/Traqmate rigs...

p.s. I'm the guy who sent you the China tracksets

Last edited by CRex; 03-19-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Harry!! Wow glad to see you on this site and welcome! Thank you for an excellent product. This is by far the best $15 I've spent on AppStore bar none.
+1 - could not agree more!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought overlay was done manually, not on the fly? My understanding was that you had to go to a particular lap and then hit the Overlay button to generate it.

It definitely seems as though the video every-other-lap bug would be a nice one to squash if possible.

Last edited by nash; 03-20-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
HarryS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your nice feedback.

All the request above are on the list for future versions. The video overlaying is done on screen while driving. Overlaying a dashboard to a video needs a lot more processing power than on screen overlaying, so this is not done in real time, but as a batch job triggered later. The problem with 'every other lap' is a pure I/O problem, it simply takes time to transfer the videos recorded to the iPhone's asset library (Photo app). The only alternative is to work on a LapTimer specific video library - something I do not like from a conceptional view.

- Harry

P.S. Recorded a video on Nordschleife today. As this is a Porsche forum, you'll probably like it :-)

Last edited by HarryS; 03-20-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good stuff... I'm sure most of us would love to have our development lab be the Ring The OBD-II function is pretty cool!

Love the painter's van with the ladder on top at the beginning.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Harry - what is the best setup for an ipod touch (latest generation)? Will the TomTom cradle with BT GPS work?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
HarryS
Intermediate

Hi,

Please check Compatibility to get an overview on the solutions available. I consider the TomTom car kit (for iPod!) to be the best solution available currently. You will still have no online access, so do not forget to download your track set before you arrive on site.

- Harry
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Well seems like my Harry;s Lap Timer Pro can do what I need it to but my head is spinning in confusion and I'm off to Puerto Rico with out my lap top this week.

I am back at sebring this Saturday and will try to fidel with this some more. I'm pretty stupid with this kind of stuff...it's probably simple but I'm having a hard time.

Harry, thanks for you posts...you are vry kind and have a geat app...I fel dumb not being able to figure it out. I'm using a Macbook Pro is the Mac the issue?
thanks! Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Larry, quick question for you. I bought your pro version and I also bought the Bad Elf GPS unit. My problem is that it doesn't connect. Is it or is it not supported? I saw on your site that it was but as I work with it, it doesn't seem as though it is.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeusrotty
I bought your pro version and I also bought the Bad Elf GPS unit. My problem is that it doesn't connect. Is it or is it not supported? I saw on your site that it was but as I work with it, it doesn't seem as though it is.
The use of the Bad Elf sensor is supported like any other sensor that replaces Apple's Location Service. You will not get too much indicators on its use within LapTimer: after a minute or so you should get a "Signal: 3D GPS" in GPS View. The Bad Elf requires some more time for the first fix as it has no assisted GPS (i. e. cannot use the mobile net to get a first position). You will not get a valid Satellites View as the Bad Elf is not accessed directly currently.

- Harry
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'm using a Macbook Pro is the Mac the issue?
thanks! Mike
Hi Mike,

Not sure if I get the problem, you are aware that Harry's LapTimer requires an iPhone to work? Do you have the software installed from iTunes already? You may contact me by PM or at LapTimer@gmx.de.

- Harry
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Harry - thanks for the reply. Is there a way to overlay the laptime data from an Ipod (which does not have the camera) with data from an external camera? The issue might be synchronization but I just wanted to check.

Thanks,
Erik

P.S. Ist schon ein tolles Programm, was Du da regelmaessig weiterentwickelst! Nur zu bloed, dass meine Frau "nur" einen Ipod und kein Iphone hat ...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryS
Hi Mike,

Not sure if I get the problem, you are aware that Harry's LapTimer requires an iPhone to work? Do you have the software installed from iTunes already? You may contact me by PM or at LapTimer@gmx.de.

- Harry
Hi Harry, yes I'm useing a iPhone 4 with the TomTom
Mount. I guess I'm
Just plain stupid because I could not figure out how to get the video to overlay when I transferred it from the phone to my MacBook Pro.

I'm at Sebring this weekend and will try again and reread the help section . Thanks for your posts here on reenlist.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
HarryS
Intermediate

Hi Mike,

You need to set your iTunes synchronization to keep the video on the phone. The standard behavior on the Mac / iPhoto is to import videos on the iPhone into the Photo library - and delete the video from the iPhone afterwards.

Goto iTunes, select your iPhone in the left bar, set the photo synchronization to synchronize the video recorded. Sync afterwards. Start the Photo app to check that the video has been transferred. Start LapTimer, goto Lap List, select your lap, press Edit, tap into Add video..., select the video.

Finally, overlay using the button in the bottom of the Lap details view.

This is actually not what we would expect from an Apple system. The alternative is to no delete videos when iPhoto imports them.

- Harry
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

So, if you have an iPad, iPod Touch, and a GoPro HD camera along with an android phone whats the best way to collect lap data and overlay with video?

I guess I could upload the video from the GoPro into the iPad then download it to the iPad???

Quick Reply: Harry's LapTimer Pro