Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I ain't worried..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I would love a video showing how to take off the wheel, grease the parts and then reinstall following the new service bulletin! Mikymu where are you!!
subscribed.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I ain't worried..
+1
Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love a video showing how to take off the wheel, grease the parts and then reinstall following the new service bulletin! Mikymu where are you!!
Why?

Go to your dealer. They should do this free of charge as it is a Porsche TSB.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I checked my hubs today while bleeding the brakes, no water and I have washed the car many times and autox'd the car in the rain. I always replace the caps though on the center lock.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, I think it's important to be able to do this yourself (as opposed to the dealer) because presumably, it needs to periodically be repeated if you change wheels often.

I am sorry I didn't do a video but I can offer a few tips. As was suggested in a previous thread, after taking off the center lock nut, turn it towards the thread side and gently tap it against a clean surface. You will find the conical piece with the circlip pops out pretty easily. What is not as obvious is how to get the washer they show off as it was pretty tightly stuck to the inside of the centerlock. I used a micro screw driver at an angle to the inside ring of the washer (ie, not perpendicular) and gently pried it up (be patient, it takes a few seconds to loosen). I then put a thin coating everywhere they said to using a paintbrush and a thick coating on the threads. When reassembling, put the washer on first (I wiped any excess off of it with a paper towel first), wrap the circlip around the groove on the conical insert, and using both hands, squeeze it to stay in the groove as you set the assembly into the nut. It will click into place and you should not see the circlip if it is all the way down.

It's not very difficult but it is kind of messy. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Bernie - thanks, I'm just going to keep checking periodically.

Johnr - glad to hear yours are dry. Who knows, maybe the water has been in mine from day 1 when there might have been some time when the dust caps were not on and it was washed or exposed to water.

I did have another video tip on how you can use a 1/2" socket extension to align the spring-loaded locking pin with the inner teeth of the central bolt. At first I tried using a small bolt to gently tug on the locking pin but found that rotating it just a bit with a 1/2" socket extension did the trick.

Here is the video (yes, another release from Mr. ShakeyCam)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Water found behind centerlock