997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Advice and thoughts on Radar Detectors-K40...>

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010 | 09:02 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

I have 4 radar detectors and have for the past 8 years. They are all passports, 8500's & 9500's, and I use them every time I drive out of the driveway!! They have saved my *** more then I can count. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2010 | 09:52 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have both a V1 and a 9500ci. Here's a summary comparison:

V1 pro's: Superior detection sensitivity to the rear and sides. Directional arrows.

V1 con's: Constant false alarms (as already noted) in city and suburban environments. No laser jammer.

9500ci pro's: Detection range equal to the V1 from the front. GPS enabled lockout of false alarms (as already noted). Totally concealed installation, which rates very highly with me. Laser jammer included.

9500ci con's: High price (including cost of installation if installed by a third party installer) relative to the V1. Sensitivity not as good as the V1 to the sides and rear.

With both running in the car at the same time (the V1 mounted behind the windshield on the dash), both the V1 and 9500ci have virtually identical detection range in the forward direction. They both sound off at almost exactly the same time when something is detected. Occasionally one goes off slightly earlier than the other, but overall there is no significant difference.

Laser jamming capability is something to be taken seriously. Laser detection is nice but practically speaking it's next to useless. By the time the laser alarm goes off, you might as well get ready to pull your car over and wait for the cop. Ask me how I know.

Overall I give the edge to the 9500ci.

Last edited by Jake951; 10-07-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:00 PM
cay187
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
V1 and K40 blocker, seems to work.
had that combo on my m3 and it is the combo to get.
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:29 PM
MartyB
Racer

I have a hard wired V1 and Blinder laser jammers - very happy with the results. I have encountered laser a few times and did a Uturn so I could run the gauntlet again with no other cars around to determine how long the gun is held on me before a reading can be obtained. Usually, the cop doesn't stop shooting me with laser until I am within a hundred yards or less from him, so the Blinder obviously works.
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
Owners have strong feelings about their detectors, but you really need to look at your local environment to decide what will give you the best protection. Which is faster, a fully armored HumVee, or a GT3? Well, are we talking Laguna Seca, or off road in Afghanistan?

If most of your driving is in the city, then 90% of the radar signals are "false alarms". Out in purple mountains and fruited plains? Mostly cops. Does your local enforcement use lasers? Do you have speed cameras, red-light cameras, other automated ticket writing devices?

After more than a decade using the Valentine V1, I have switched to Passport 9500ci and 9500ix. I will never again buy a detector that does not have GPS data used for detection. I live in a large city that has ALL forms of radar, laser and automated ticket machines in great numbers. It also has millions of sources of "false alarms", and conventional detectors like the V1 go off constantly (and I mean constantly) so that they end up being ignored.

The Passports record the exact frequency and location of each radar source. If it finds it again and again (same frequency and location) it locks it out. After a few days, it is absolutely silent except for ACTUAL SPEED TRAPS. It also has a downloaded location data base of all red-light and speed cameras, and gives a verbal warning as you approach them. Finally, unlike with radar, it is absolutely legal to jam laser detection. If laser is used locally, you NEED a jammer, or you are toast.

Out in the country, with no false alarms and no laser, sensitivity is key, and I would probably stay with the V1 (a truly great product). In my environment, I need the Passport with laser jamming.

Regional Speed Detection information is HERE.

Other Regional info HERE.

If you already own a V1, you have half of the best system available. The Valentine units give the number of threats detected, and the direction of the strongest threat. This is INCREDIBLY useful in avoiding tickets. All you need now is the remote display for the V1, and a Passport ci or ix. You can set the V1 to be permanently dark and mute. Have the Passport run all detection and laser jamming. When you do hear an alarm from the Passport, a quick glance at the remote display of the V1 will tell you where the threat is. The best of both worlds! I might not buy a V1 just for this purpose, but if you already own one I strongly recommend keeping it in service!

If the same cop stops at the same trap spot, can the Passport somehow realize the source has moved five or ten feet?

With the proliferation of Lidar/laser around northern California, towing and keeping to 55 mph (call it 60) is boring. I think our bureaucrats have written revenue code into the FCC law making "jammers" illegal in California and presumably in other revenue-crippled states, too.
Old 10-08-2010 | 11:48 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few states have declared laser jamming is illegal. However, transmission of laser light is NOT regulated by FCC, unlike radio waves. There are regulatory agencies, like ANSI and FAA, that are concerned with safety (primarily eye safety) when it comes to use of high power lasers. For example, you cannot shine a laser pointer at an aircraft because of the possibility of distracting or even blinding the pilot or crew. I seriously doubt whether those concerns apply to laser jamming because the power levels are so low and the light is not at visible wavelengths.
Old 10-08-2010 | 11:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

my V-1 is great. Cant beat it.

if you are in a state or province where they are not permitted, then the Beltronics is the only way to go. (undectable)
Old 10-08-2010 | 01:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
likely V1 so I can switch between my RS and F430 twin turbo.
Whaaaaa???

Old 10-08-2010 | 01:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If the same cop stops at the same trap spot, can the Passport somehow realize the source has moved five or ten feet?

With the proliferation of Lidar/laser around northern California, towing and keeping to 55 mph (call it 60) is boring. I think our bureaucrats have written revenue code into the FCC law making "jammers" illegal in California and presumably in other revenue-crippled states, too.
I haven't tested for laser, but the Passport takes several trips by the location to decide to mark it. The marking is by location and includes not just the band, but the 'signature' of the particular emitter. If the same radar gun was located in the same location all the time I believe the detector would eventually mark it as a false. I have not encountered this exact scenario, but we have a radar "your speed is" sign on my street that they have had to change several times. Each time, the passport has recognized it as a new threat, eventually marking it as a false.

Positional accuracy is pretty good (lots of things effect GPS user Equipment accuracy), but it isn't trying to resolve 5-10 foot accuracy, so I don't expect it to care about a 5-10 feet difference.

My one annoyance with the 9500ix/ci is that the software hasn't been quite smart enough. If you use the red-light camera warning feature, even if the database is fully up to date, you will be warned about a camera at intersections where there is only one camera - if I'm going east-west and the camera is north-south, I get a warning. It seems to mark a location and expand a circle from that location based on speed, so if you are on the Freeway doing 85, it will warn me of camera-controlled intersections 150-250 feet away. This should be an easy fix in software.
Old 10-08-2010 | 04:25 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

V1 all the way the arrows can not be beat
Here is a nifty way to mount it in your car w/ hardwire kit very slick
https://storesense.megawebservers.co...tail.bok?no=71
Old 10-08-2010 | 05:58 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

K40 blows. Nuff said.

V1 and Laser Interceptor for the win.
Old 10-08-2010 | 08:17 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
....My one annoyance with the 9500ix/ci is that the software hasn't been quite smart enough. If you use the red-light camera warning feature, even if the database is fully up to date, you will be warned about a camera at intersections where there is only one camera - if I'm going east-west and the camera is north-south, I get a warning..... This should be an easy fix in software.
They have released a firmware update which adresses many of these false alarms. You have to download a new interface program(Detector Tools 1.7), then the new firmware, then a new copy of the database, but it eliminates 90% of the false alarm issues. There is still an issue if the access road is right next to the freeway (separated by a Jersey barrier, for example) and has red light cameras. GPS still cannot reliably tell the difference between the freeway and the access road 15 feet to the right. I now only have one regular false alarm - where the freeway is elevated, and there is a red light camera underneath it going in the same direction. Not much you can do about that....
Old 10-08-2010 | 10:27 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

V-1....luv it.

does laser/radar jamming acutally work? I thought that was a military application that was not available to the gen. pop. AFAIK...
Old 10-08-2010 | 10:58 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Does everyone do the hardwire and if so is there a big difference between having it hardwired or just window mounted
Old 10-09-2010 | 10:10 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Hardwiring is just convenient. It does not affect performance. If you have it wired into a switched 12v power source, it will just turn on and off with the key and there won't be any cords hanging around.

The only true laser jammers are the ones that use laser diodes, not the LED diodes. The only one left on the US market right now is the Laser Interceptor. I've personally tested mine against 7 diff police laser units and it jams the gun each and every time. Best on the market, hands down.

Check out the last GOL test on laser jammers: http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008...mmer-test.html

Quick Reply: Advice and thoughts on Radar Detectors-K40...>