GT3 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 31 Posts
Default GT3 oil leak

Hi

New to this forum and found it by googling GT3 RMS oil leak....

I have a 997.1 GT3 and have been "diagnosed" with an out of warranty RMS oil leak, plus apparently the crankcase needs resealing. This would be the 4th RMS and as I have lost maybe 10 drops of oil from the car in 3 years it seems to be that the best advice is to just leave it as the main dealers cannot fix it.

My question relates the the need to reseal the crankcase. If I am losing so little oil, why bother with this one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally wouldn't bother. Just my opinion if I was without warranty.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Just leave it.....gives the car some personality
Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the Achille's Heal of Porsche. According to their distorted view of the world, there's no such thing as an "in warranty" RMS leak. Though the water cooled GT1 versions have been notorious for losing all the crank seals.

Resealing the case, well, that borders on fraud. I'd invite another dealer to verify that work and have them both stake their reputations on it before calling the BBB and the given state's BAR (bureau of automotive repair in California investigates this kind of apparent fraud.)

For the time being, put something under the car to catch the oil drip or wipe it off from time to time. and let it be. As far as a I know, there's no known (proven) correlation between high or low mileage, frequent or infrequent driving, hot or cold, track or street and the occurrence of the leak. So, there's no easy advice on how to improve things.

On the bright side, when you're ready to attend to it, it's a quick and cheap job to be done by a third party Porsche shope with expertise in the GT3 and have them install a lightweight flywheel kit.

Quick Reply: GT3 oil leak