Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Miller Motorsports Park (MMP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Miller Motorsports Park (MMP)

MMP, what can I say, it's my favorite track. I spent the pass weekend at MMP with the Intermountain Region PCA attending their HPDE event. The event was well attended and organized with close to 40 cars out, in the Friday run group. Since the track is 4.5 miles long it can handle lots of cars in a run group. Saturday was down to 25-30 cars so more opportunity to get some clear laps without traffic. Sunday was the best day for me, less than 25 cars in the runs group, this allowed me to get my best lap in, and I managed a 3:14.5 on the full course.

I went down with 8 others from western Canada and Jon from OR also joined our group. We set up across from Tatum Racing, JT (Jerry) and his crew made us feel very welcome, so a big shout out to JT and his gang.

The GT3 worked great all weekend, no issues with the car, corded the front tires (R6's) on the inside so I need to look at the toe out. After LS & MMP, I have 6 track days on my car along with 1-AX so the rear brakes are nearing the end of their life cycle. The car is now shut down for the winter; hopefully back to Spring Mountain in NV in Feb for the PCA event.

Some notes about MMP:
Miller Motorsports Park's longest configuration, the Full Course, has a character completely different from either of the two shorter layouts. In this 4.5-mile configuration, speeds will be extremely high both at the end of the long main straight and through the daunting sequence of turns that comprise the first elements of the East side of the course, where cornering speeds will approach 150 mph.

Name:  MMP.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  56.2 KB
Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that track, very fun!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Sounds like fun Russ. Corded the fronts? What are your alignment specs? Are you running with PSM/TC off or on? "On" just cooks the rear brakes and I have been running lately with both off. Truth be told it is more lively and fun to drive with both off.

I heard MMP was flat and boring so have not yet tried it. But here are two positive reviews and I need to go give it a try. 4.4 miles is a beautiful thing, and if you look at it with big eyes (and CCW vs CW) the layout is a lot like Spring Mountain? See you at SM in Feb (unless you come down Oct 16/17 )
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Awesome! Sounds like fun Russ. Corded the fronts? What are your alignment specs? Are you running with PSM/TC off or on? "On" just cooks the rear brakes and I have been running lately with both off. Truth be told it is more lively and fun to drive with both off.

I heard MMP was flat and boring so have not yet tried it. But here are two positive reviews and I need to go give it a try. 4.4 miles is a beautiful thing, and if you look at it with big eyes (and CCW vs CW) the layout is a lot like Spring Mountain? See you at SM in Feb (unless you come down Oct 16/17 )
Pete,

Most likely not making it down to SM in October, I'm in the commissioning & start up phase of the project I'm on and not much relief in my work load until mid February. Unfortunately for me, work takes precedence over recreational activities for now, maybe someday it will be reversed.

Only the very inside 1 inch of the front tires were starting to show excessive wear, the rest of the tire had fairly even wear and temps were within 10 deg F from inside to outside so I believe the camber is good. I'm going to try less total toe out and see how that goes. Hot tire pressure was about 36F/38R most of the time, it got a little higher during some of the afternoon session when track surface temp were higher.

Alignment spec's as follows:
front -2.7 deg camber
rear -2.5 deg camber
front 1/16 total toe out
rear 3/16 total toe in

I turned the PSM/TC off on my last day at MMP, finally feeling comfortable enough in the car to run without it, so 5 full track days with it on. Rear brakes need to be replaced, I don't like going much lower than 70% wear.

MMP is a great track, definitely not boring, memorizing 23 turns is a challenge. you can see speeds in excess of 160 mph on the front straight away so lots happening just before turn 1. It is somewhat like Spring Mountain but mostly flat, no Hoot & Holler to climb.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Miller Motorsports Park (MMP)