Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My thoughts on 997.1 GT3/GT3RS and 997.2 GT3/GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My thoughts on 997.1 GT3/GT3RS and 997.2 GT3/GT3RS

After visiting this and other forums daily, reading Porsche related magazines also daily, checking lap times, videos on youtube, checking cars.com or ebaymotors.com, I came to this analysis:

997.1 GT3
Excellent car, seems to have small understeer problems you can easily fix. You can find a low mileage car for $ 85K average

997.1 GT3RS
More beatiful than the standard GT3, exotic looking car (especially in orange or green), but almost not any advantages over the standard GT3, yet the average price for low mileage cars is around $ 115K

997.2 GT3
Faster and better handling car than both the 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS, average price around $ 120K (both new and used)

997.2 GT3 RS
It seems this is indeed one of Porsches most special cars ! There is an advantage over the standard GT3 in power and shorter gear ratios. Average price around $ 150K

So I conclude:
- 997.1 GT3: find one with low miles and enjoy this special car. Great value for money !
- 997.1 GT3 RS: buy one if you are only after looks, I do no understand why pay $ 30K more over the standard GT3
- 997.2 GT3: if the "standard" car is enough, this is really more than enough !
- 997.2 GT3 RS: if you have the money, there is a logic in spending the extra cash and buying this master piece

Do you agree ?

All comments welcome !
Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
After visiting this and other forums daily, reading Porsche related magazines also daily, checking lap times, videos on youtube, checking cars.com or ebaymotors.com, I came to this analysis:

997.1 GT3
Excellent car, seems to have small understeer problems you can easily fix. You can find a low mileage car for $ 85K average

997.1 GT3RS
More beatiful than the standard GT3, exotic looking car (especially in orange or green), but almost not any advantages over the standard GT3, yet the average price for low mileage cars is around $ 115K

997.2 GT3
Faster and better handling car than both the 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS, average price around $ 120K (both new and used)

997.2 GT3 RS
It seems this is indeed one of Porsches most special cars ! There is an advantage over the standard GT3 in power and shorter gear ratios. Average price around $ 150K

So I conclude:
- 997.1 GT3: find one with low miles and enjoy this special car. Great value for money !
- 997.1 GT3 RS: buy one if you are only after looks, I do no understand why pay $ 30K more over the standard GT3
- 997.2 GT3 RS: if you have the money, there is a logic in spending the extra cash and buying this master piece

Do you agree ?

All comments welcome !
agree that if you can find a nice .1 buy it and enjoy it (fit the GT2 rear sway bar)

I think you do the .1 RS a disservice, it has the lighter flywheel, is lighter, and has the widebody track to boot, while it is not the same "gap" as exists between the .2 and .2 RS it is still I believe a better drive than the .1 GT3.

As for the .2, the std car is superb, and you would think it could not be bettered, but there is no doubt in my mind that the .2 RS is worth the extra cash and will certainly become a sought after model amongst those that are in the "know" ... i.e RennListers ...

Buy any or all, you wont be dissapointed!

Actually you could also go for a 996.2 as well, its much more of a razors edge experience and well worth it too!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4

997.1 GT3

997.1 GT3RS

997.2 GT3

997.2 GT3 RS

So I conclude:

Do you agree ?

All comments welcome !

All great points. (although 997.1 vs. 997.2 handling once modified are on same page as tubs are the same)

The 997.1GT3 RS has 2 more features other then looks when compared to 997.1 GT3, however it mainly appeals to the "stripper" people who will be using the car for track duty of some sorts. This is where alot of these cars will end up in time. These will become the next track car bargin of the future. (currently 966 GT3 is the track car bargin).
Features:
1. Ability to run a wider rear tire.
2. No sunroof for those who wish to use the car for Motorsports (full cage club).

All non wide body GT3's (996, 997.1 ,997.2) are probably the last of the narrow body GT3's as CUP cars are now too wide body.

When the next generation GT3 is released i do not foresee a narrow body being offered.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

That pretty much summarizes the 997 GT3's. I actually liked that the RS's have the wide body and GT3's had the narrow body. Of course the 996 versions of both were narrow bodies. It will be interesting to see how Porsche differentiates these two cars in the future.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Golly gee.

I really think the XX7 cars will be no more "cherished" than the XX6 cars down the road, none of them...

yes, the "RS" will mean a little, but not much. There will be "better"ones. In fact the 996 RS is far rarer than any 997 RS and far more novel, though not faster.

No regular production Porsche from this era will be a true "Classic"
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
agree that if you can find a nice .1 buy it and enjoy it (fit the GT2 rear sway bar)

I think you do the .1 RS a disservice, it has the lighter flywheel, is lighter, and has the widebody track to boot, while it is not the same "gap" as exists between the .2 and .2 RS it is still I believe a better drive than the .1 GT3.

As for the .2, the std car is superb, and you would think it could not be bettered, but there is no doubt in my mind that the .2 RS is worth the extra cash and will certainly become a sought after model amongst those that are in the "know" ... i.e RennListers ...

Buy any or all, you wont be dissapointed!

Actually you could also go for a 996.2 as well, its much more of a razors edge experience and well worth it too!
The owners I know with the .2 GT3 who've owned the .1 RS do not consider it the superior car.

I've driven the 996.2 GT3 and the 997.1 GT3 at the track same day and had may track days and done the suspension setup in both. On the track, the .1 is so close to the .2, there's not much in it to speak of, especially given the power and torque difference, the 996 stands up. I greatly prefer the design of the 997 inside and out. On the street, the 997 is far, far superior.

At least one .1 RS owner considers the .2 RS to be incremental. I consider the .2 RS to be a quantum leap forward; a car that is the sum of its parts and it also brings an undefined extra element of performance that Porsche hasn't divulged in technical details. I put it down mostly to what Preuninger has done by using solid engine mounts and so shifting load forward onto a wider front track.

As for how to place these cars relative to each other and how to place them in their lineage, we have to wait until the fat lady sings -- Porsche clearly has not finished this opera.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The owners I know with the .2 GT3 who've owned the .1 RS do not consider it the superior car.

As for how to place these cars relative to each other and how to place them in their lineage, we have to wait until the fat lady sings -- Porsche clearly has not finished this opera.
I've owned both .1 RS and .2 GT3 and don't consider the RS superior. Guess it depends

Agree completely with your second paragraph.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on 997.1 GT3/GT3RS and 997.2 GT3/GT3RS