Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Andreas Preuninger, "We have finally reached the bore limit with this engine..."

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,084 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
The DP (unrestricted RSR) engines I ran were about 525hp and went to 9400rpm, lasted about 25hrs (interesting for a 24hr race, eh?). The piston pins were the limiting factor, and later enlarged a mm but still the rebuild time was less than 30hrs and cost twice as much as a standard Cup (ie-RS) engine.
Interesting - I had heard the unrestricted figure of an RSR motor at ~9,400rpm was >580hp. Lowering the redine for 500hp seemed like a legitimate way to preserve its longevity to far beyond 30 race hours.

Is your 525hp spec at the wheels or on an engine dyno?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3 R Hybrid has a huge KERS flywheel where the passenger seat goes. Relocating that for a road car would be interesting....
A street-version does not necessarily need to use the KERS flywheel, it can use a tradition NiMH-battery-based Hybrid setup like Porsche has been using in its production street cars.

And isn't it coincidence that the Hybrid system used in the Cayenne S Hybrid has a maximum 47hp output? (47hp adds 450hp in the GT3RS is close enough to the rumored 500hp.)

Regards,
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
mattmiesnieks
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
A street-version does not necessarily need to use the KERS flywheel, it can use a tradition NiMH-battery-based Hybrid setup like Porsche has been using in its production street cars.

And isn't it coincidence that the Hybrid system used in the Cayenne S Hybrid has a maximum 47hp output? (47hp adds 450hp in the GT3RS is close enough to the rumored 500hp.)

Regards,
good point. Does the 918 also use batteries?

I'd still feel a bit disappointed though that this hypothetical GT3 R Hybrid road car uses a fundamentally different technology to the race car ie isn't a homologation special, just an "in the spirit of" marketing effort

Personally I'd like to see a 500Hp gasoline powered street RSR type car
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattmiesnieks
good point. Does the 918 also use batteries?

I'd still feel a bit disappointed though that this hypothetical GT3 R Hybrid road car uses a fundamentally different technology to the race car ie isn't a homologation special, just an "in the spirit of" marketing effort

Personally I'd like to see a 500Hp gasoline powered street RSR type car
You have a good point about the 918 Spyder too. Yes, the 918 Spyder uses NiMH battery driving electric motors in the front hubs.

Come think about it... since we all know Porsche is putting the 918 Spyder in production, why not put some of those new Hybrid parts in a GT3RS, make 500 examples of them, bank it to help fund the projects, also test-bed it in a proven GT3RS platform?

Hmm... a run of 500 very expensive street-version of the GT3 R Hybrid 'called it GT3RS Limited Edition' (with Hybrid parts from 918 Spyder, Cayenne S Hybrid, upcoming Panamera Hybrid, etc.) might sound like a good idea if I were the engineer/bean-counter at Porsche...

Regards,
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,084 Likes on 2,866 Posts

I'm still expecting 500hp from a 4.0L - batteries not included (nor needed)...
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- 500hp (at the wheels) with a 4.0 would require 9000rpm and putting a warranty on that would be very, very expensive

- if this is true, and it is fully NA (non hybrid), my guess is that this is a 200k+ car in the US
- at that price, the collectors will buy everyone of them and they will never see the road
There, warranty problem solved!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Interesting - I had heard the unrestricted figure of an RSR motor at ~9,400rpm was >580hp. Lowering the redine for 500hp seemed like a legitimate way to preserve its longevity to far beyond 30 race hours.

Is your 525hp spec at the wheels or on an engine dyno?
Flywheel. That was the only dyno run I saw, they are pretty secretive about that stuff. I was told that went up to 540 with the updated engines (997 style with larger pin), but I did not verify that with my own eyes so I can't speculate.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,321 Likes on 618 Posts

guys seriously if they're having a hard time selling 250 of the GT2RS cars- how would they really sell 500 of the "GT3RSR 500" or whatever for a similar price...

realistically- if the bore is max capacity and they've got to stroke it out, then you'd need a lot lighter and free spinning stuff on the inside to keep it as free revving - Ti, DLC coatings, etc etc. you're talking about a full on race motor at that point.

just for reference, at the 24hr LeMans race, the cars travel about 3k miles give or take a few hundred. RSR and cup engines barely last 25-30 hours before losing all kinds of hp or straight up grenading. I really have a hard time buying that they're going to come out with a +50hp solution all of a sudden, and it will have a 40k warranty like everything else...

there are still plenty of good 997.2 RS cars out there and people are already hoping for a 200k version with more giddyup. this is hilarious!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
guys seriously if they're having a hard time selling 250 of the GT2RS cars- how would they really sell 500 of the "GT3RSR 500" or whatever for a similar price...

realistically- if the bore is max capacity and they've got to stroke it out, then you'd need a lot lighter and free spinning stuff on the inside to keep it as free revving - Ti, DLC coatings, etc etc. you're talking about a full on race motor at that point.

just for reference, at the 24hr LeMans race, the cars travel about 3k miles give or take a few hundred. RSR and cup engines barely last 25-30 hours before losing all kinds of hp or straight up grenading. I really have a hard time buying that they're going to come out with a +50hp solution all of a sudden, and it will have a 40k warranty like everything else...

there are still plenty of good 997.2 RS cars out there and people are already hoping for a 200k version with more giddyup. this is hilarious!
I wouldn't say that Porsche is having a hard time selling the GT2 RS around the world, it's just the USA market that's letting a simple little thing like an economic depression get in the way of frivolous consumption.

But you speak to the truth of it that on the one hand, there's still allocations for the 2011 measly 450hp RS and paradoxically there are buyers unwilling to pay a bargain $138K for that car, but the prospect (and the completely unsubstantiated rumor!) of a 500hp car at a 50% premium around $200K is the talk of the town. Human nature. We want to kill more than we can eat. So it goes.

ps. I've not heard of a 911 race engine "grenading" in factory spec. If anything, the reputation is for the short and "unwarranted" MBO times. Then again the Hybrid had an embarrassing DNF with but a couple of minutes (about 120 or so) to win the 24hr due not to the hybridization of the thing but simply the donk broke. I imagine we'll never know the true story there.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmiesnieks
The GT3 R Hybrid has a huge KERS flywheel where the passenger seat goes. Relocating that for a road car would be interesting....
they can replace the wart with it.....
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 AM
mattmiesnieks
AutoX

Y... (with Hybrid parts from 918 Spyder, Cayenne S Hybrid, upcoming Panamera Hybrid, etc.) might sound like a good idea...

Regards,
A Hybrid of Hybrids......uuurrrghghh <shiver>
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

sounds like paella
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

The recent rumor of a 4.0L GT3RS Limited Edition reminds me of an article that I read last year.

Andreas Preuninger (Porsche motorsport manager of high-performance cars) said in an interview about the 3.8L GT3 engine:

Is there any break-through technology that overturns Mr. Preuninger's statement about the durability of a 4.0L metzger-block street car?
Bore is only one way to make it larger. Current 3.8 Cup/GT3/GT3 RS use bore of 102.7mm and stroke of 76.4mm. 4.0L motor in R/RSR use same bore but increase stroke to 80.4mm. The less restricted R is making claimed 480hp.

The real benefit of the 4.0L I suspect is increased torque across the curve leading to improved driveability. The Sharky boys can probably speak better to that point.

Regarding durability, I'm not sure it makes sense to compare service intervals of racing vs street applications. The 3.8 in the Cup is essentially the same lump that we get in the street RS. The different service intervals reflect the relative abuse the two environments dish out. I suspect service intervals on our street-going RS's would drop dramatically if we drove them flat out all the time.

A lighter, tighter 4.0L RS with fatter HP & TQ curves would be a winner in my book, regardless of whether it added peak 25, 30, or 50hp. That said and given the choice, I'd take a 300lb reduction in weight over a 45hp boost in power any day, though I suspect the former is a lot harder and more costly to achieve than the latter.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

They could reach 500hp if they tuned for E85. The amount of timing and compression they could add would make it attainable

Edit: also, Sharkwerks/EVOMS has achieved 500 crank hp in their 3.9l conversions
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
They could reach 500hp if they tuned for E85. The amount of timing and compression they could add would make it attainable

Edit: also, Sharkwerks/EVOMS has achieved 500 crank hp in their 3.9l conversions
So that's where those engines we have been building are going (we wish lol). I'd have to say with how conservative they are and dare I say this... but CHEAP on certain components I'd be surprised if they did this. And the noise a 3.9 makes (even with a stock exhaust) isn't going to help the sound ***** either. And of course if they rev it... No way they're doing 4.0 though. That is too much reworking.

I say they just make a special edition spyder cabriolet millenium speedster RS with centerlock Fuchs and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger, "We have finally reached the bore limit with this engine..."