Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was discussed in a past thread which I will dig up with no reliable answer provided: what does Porsche Motorsport do to prevent this on their 'Ring 24hr street/race car? Or what does Flying Lizard do to prevent this problem?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a customer call Monday to whom this happened. Yeesh....
Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
This was discussed in a past thread which I will dig up with no reliable answer provided: what does Porsche Motorsport do to prevent this on their 'Ring 24hr street/race car? Or what does Flying Lizard do to prevent this problem?
Anyone have a contact with the Flying Lizard team that could ask them?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Anyone have a contact with the Flying Lizard team that could ask them?
I am heading to Road Atlanta next weekend to watch the ALMS final, have a pit pass, & will try to ask one of their mechanics. Does anyone else know?

Would also be especially useful to know how the "stock" GT3 RS that raced this year's Nurburgring 24hr was modified, because it certainly must have been. A coolant (i.e., H2O with water wetter) dump half way through a lap would be end of race for sure.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche is fixing the one failure point, but is not addressing the other 5. I am at a crossroads where I have to make a decision about what to do while the engine is already out. Porsche does not have a recommended fix and suggests just leaving the other 5 alone. The thing that concerns me is that they are replacing the part that failed with the exact same part. No upgrade whatsoever... That does not give me a feeling of confidence. I had hoped that the replacement part would have some new improved way of holding itself together. Apparently not.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your dilemma. You and the others should expose the PCNA management to this safety issue.

Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Porsche is fixing the one failure point, but is not addressing the other 5. I am at a crossroads where I have to make a decision about what to do while the engine is already out. Porsche does not have a recommended fix and suggests just leaving the other 5 alone. The thing that concerns me is that they are replacing the part that failed with the exact same part. No upgrade whatsoever... That does not give me a feeling of confidence. I had hoped that the replacement part would have some new improved way of holding itself together. Apparently not.
If you have the motor out, Sharkwerks knows how to fix them all so you won't have any more failures
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

One more reason to get a 3.9
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

No doubt it's terrible that's there's such an engineering goof but what's appalling is how porsche is apparently handling it. Also holding a coolant line with a plastic press in fitting in 100k car PLEASE. Just these two things would cause an owner or perspective buyer to be very concerned about other design flaws.

Maybe it's tuff to see in the photo but what I'm seeing is a section of pipe with no flange or raised lip at either end for the hose clamp to hold. if that's truly the case then no wonder these things are popping off and shame on Porsche.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
If you have the motor out, Sharkwerks knows how to fix them all so you won't have any more failures
I've emailed Sharky to get a ballpark on the procedure. I just have to see what my dealer is going to charge to remove all the manifolds and then the cost of shipping these pieces to CA from Florida. He is def the go-to-guy for this repair though.

I do have concerns that the new threading coupling would have a smaller ID and affect flow. Probably not though as I'm sure Sharky has done a zillion of these things.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
One more reason to get a 3.9
I can barely handle the 3.6
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
No doubt it's terrible that's there's such an engineering goof but what's appalling is how porsche is apparently handling it. Also holding a coolant line with a plastic press in fitting in 100k car PLEASE. Just these two things would cause an owner or perspective buyer to be very concerned about other design flaws.

Maybe it's tuff to see in the photo but what I'm seeing is a section of pipe with no flange or raised lip at either end for the hose clamp to hold. if that's truly the case then no wonder these things are popping off and shame on Porsche.
The coupling is actually metal. I believe its extruded aluminum. Still a ****e design either way....
Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

I am taking my RS for a roll bar install at the end of this month to Wright Motorsports. They ran the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2009. I will ask them what they did about this.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, as all the misc posts have popped up about the coolant leaks I have felt quite lucky to dodge the problem, until today.

My car is a DD/DE car, 07 with 46,xxx miles. Due to a busy year, I have not been to the track in over a year. I was driving home from work after a long day (30mph) and sure enough dumped all my coolant very quickly. I saw the light and immediately got off the road, by the time a check the reservoir it had maybe 1/10 of the fluid left. The can is now on a flatbed to Champion. The ironic part is I was planning to take the car in to get some other warranty work done (RMS among others)

Will update what they find.

Kind of scary at this point, this is bordering on becoming an endemic and dangerous problem. At least with the RMS leak the biggest problem is cleaning the garage floor and adding a little oil from time to time. I was hoping this would be a car for a lifetime to pass on to (or share with) the boys when they are old. Will see.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

This puts a damper on an otherwise overall great car. How do other manufacturers, ie. Ferrari, BMW, etc. handle these fittings?

Quick Reply: Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.