Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

How can we drive fast on the track if we don't even have confidence in our own cars?

Don't be surprise to see more GT3/RS for sale...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of answer was that from your dealer? Why fix the others.....so I do not spin into a wall next time you dick! Is the correct reply.

Although maybe it is happening enough that Porsche knows that this is the only one that pops?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

They are still maintaining the position to fix the one, but not the rest. I do have the option, at my expense to have them service the other 5.

Supposedly there is a TSB on this issue. The dealer was supposed to email it today but I have not received it yet.

The dealer is not comfortable threading the pieces. I have asked some people about tig welding the coupling and it did not give them the warm fuzzies, citing the fact that the incredible heat transfer welding in that area could cause new problems.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do....

Here's a shot of the motor out.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So now they put you in a tough spot. Either you have them fix it correctly and all of them or let warranty repair one and hope for the best at the track.
I would keep pushing for a proper fix and a conversation with the regional rep and impress upon him that it is the only right thing as it is your safety and those around you.

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
They are still maintaining the position to fix the one, but not the rest. I do have the option, at my expense to have them service the other 5.

Supposedly there is a TSB on this issue. The dealer was supposed to email it today but I have not received it yet.

The dealer is not comfortable threading the pieces. I have asked some people about tig welding the coupling and it did not give them the warm fuzzies, citing the fact that the incredible heat transfer welding in that area could cause new problems.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do....

Here's a shot of the motor out.
Hey DDog,

So what does the TSB propose as the solution if not to thread and not to weld? What exactly will you be paying for if they service the remaining five? a few new drops of loctite? These clowns must be sniffing their own glue....

Last edited by 911rox; 09-23-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

how about a plastic duct around the coolant lines that diverts spilled coolant to center rear of vehicle aft of the track of the rear wheels. still doesn't solve anything but would be safer with lower cost to implement. literally a bandaid, but keeps from spinning uncontrollably due to coolant leak and places the spent coolant in a marginally safer spot. still need a real fix for this from the factory. come on porsche, step up! this happens on street driven cars as well!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Could complaints be submitted to the NHTSA?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

how about a plastic duct around the coolant lines that diverts spilled coolant to center rear of vehicle aft of the track of the rear wheels.
For us who live where it never freezes we are safe with water wetter. I don't think you will spin easily as with coolant with just water..That's why race cars run water not anti freeze.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

my 2 cents - definitely get them all fixed while the engine is out. The biggest cost is engine drop, which is covered by Porsche in this case. Self-paying for fixing the other 5 will give you peace of mind, which should be well worth the money. The question remains what is the best fix?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
my 2 cents - definitely get them all fixed while the engine is out. The biggest cost is engine drop, which is covered by Porsche in this case. Self-paying for fixing the other 5 will give you peace of mind, which should be well worth the money. The question remains what is the best fix?
+1. Fix them while the engine is out... same as you would upgrade to an RS clutch while the engine is out.

How exactly are they fixing the problem??
Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely fix all joints while the engine is out. TIG welding is high heat, but extremely localized. A couple tacks on each joint should fix it. A skilled welder with the right gear can TIG weld aluminum beer cans together. The right guy can definitely fix these joints without ruining the engine.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
my 2 cents - definitely get them all fixed while the engine is out. The biggest cost is engine drop, which is covered by Porsche in this case.
What sort of costs are involved in an engine drop from experience? That is in terms of hours of labour? New to these things and curious....
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

+ 1 on the fix-them-all but only if you can get a "proper fix".
Unless Porsche has improved the process, there is no point in replacing same for same... even if newer.
TIG for me if you can get a skillful artisan. Imagine that, the engine is right there on the bench. All you need to do is find a local welder
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
What sort of costs are involved in an engine drop from experience? That is in terms of hours of labour? New to these things and curious....
Someone quoted 7.8 hours on THE other thread.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Someone quoted 7.8 hours on THE other thread.
Thanx

Quick Reply: Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.