TPMS is about worthless at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Update.

I went to Roebling Road this weekend.
TPM worked perfect on 3 wheels. The left rear quit working after a few laps each time, or never gave pressure. I swapped wheels and the exact same thing happend, if it is not the sensor, it must be the car.

Also I do not get a flat tire warning for the fronts, rear only.
I was cold at 26PSI all around. When pressures showed up on the screen it gave a flat tire warning with the front tires showing 26PSI in white and the rears showing -8PSI in red.

This should be fixable with software, but one corner not working is weird. I read above that the unit on the car picks up all 4 corners:

Gen 2;

The new 911 GT3 is provided worldwide as standard with enhanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and permanent monitoring of the air pressure on all four wheels. Compared to the previous model, this new system adopted from the current 911 Carrera models allows faster pressure display after the ignition is switched on, faster and continuous pressure update during the filling process and a faster teaching process for the new set of tires following a wheel change. The new system no longer has individual antennas in the wheel housings, but has trigger transmitters, a central antenna under the floor of the vehicle and enhanced wheel electronics.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

And you have the better version. Imagine how crappy it is on my 07. It took a half hour of driving after I put air in the tires for the error messages to go away.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

It worked OK on my 07? I got warning, but was able to read PSI's.
Has anyone tried reprogramming the PSI variation limits or points that it gives the flat tire warning?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Problem with the older cars (ie mine) is that it doesn't seem to sample frequently enough. My wife's 08 Cayenne is problematic as well. It is constantly saying the left rear tire has a problem despite the fact that its set to 50 psi.

As far as reprogramming, I'm guessing Porsche would say this is a no no as I'm certain they will be concerned about someone setting the warnings lower than what the factory recommends. You know there would be some jackass that would leave the warning set for track pressures, get into an accident as a result, and sue the pants off them.

Quick Reply: TPMS is about worthless at the track