Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche PCCB Brake Pad Wear- What the Frick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
so it is now July 2011 - did anyone come up with any answers on what to do about OEM PCCB's for us track junkies??? I go thru a set of pads on my 2010 GT3 about every 3-5 track days (Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Summit Point, Virginia International Raceway).
Most of the info is updated in the "mancation" thread. There are new options.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
so it is now July 2011 - did anyone come up with any answers on what to do about OEM PCCB's for us track junkies??? I go thru a set of pads on my 2010 GT3 about every 3-5 track days (Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Summit Point, Virginia International Raceway).
http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=128
Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Almost done on my second set of pads, both front and rear. Pads wear in a beveled manner but not more than previously shown by others. What concerns me is the surface condition of the rotors.

The wear indicators (the three circular discs) in the rear are clearly turning rougher (about 1/3rd rough), vs. the rest of the rotors (still in the same condition as new). Will try to post pics when I get to it--the difference in surface appearance is very obvious.

FWIW I typically run with SC Off and TC On.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

The solution is $30K MOVIT complete brake conversion or go to less then 2K PFC steel with PFC08 pads.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The solution is $30K MOVIT complete brake conversion or go to less then 2K PFC steel with PFC08 pads.
Check, PFC is solution
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

That’s not a completely accurate statement. Yes a FULL MovIt system for a Carrera GT would be in that ballpark but that’s for a FULL MovIt 396 CER kit with 6 piston Billet Calipers for BOTH front AND rear. But for an OE 380/350 PCCB friction ring conversion you are looking at several thousand less then that. Or for a small price more you can get the new 396/362 CER rotor upgrade all while using your factory Porsche Calipers. Actually the OE 380/350 CER’s are priced in the general ballpark of a new set of PCCB’s from Porsche. Plus the CER rotors do not wear out like the PCCB rotors AND they are repairable. In addition the friction ring last so long you can and probably will move the CER rotor from vehicle to future vehicle(s) since it lasts so long. So it’s basically a one time purchase or investment you will be able to use for years and years while reaping the benefits of utilizing the most advanced rotor made in the world.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Update: Pictures posted

Pics of my rear rotors after 3k track miles (5k total on odo). Wear indicators clearly "rougher" than the rest of the rotor surface. These crappy iPhone pics don't tell the whole story, but under broad sunlight the three indicators are visibly different in color:

Name:  IMG_0771.jpg
Views: 3423
Size:  122.0 KB

Upon close inspection it's clear that some of the rotor material (i.e. some of the "cut fibers" in the ceramic structure) have been abraded from the surface. And this is only after 3k track miles:

Name:  IMG_0773.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  148.2 KB

The abrasion on the other side is more severe. I'd go as far as describing it as "pitted"...

Name:  IMG_0769.jpg
Views: 3649
Size:  86.5 KB

Now, this is nothing compared to what I've seen on the Ferrari's newest ceramics on the 458. Those rotors turn rough--REAL ROUGH--after a few track sessions. Yet the dealers all say they're okay as long as thickness is within specs...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TF-Ent
That’s not a completely accurate statement. Yes a FULL MovIt system for a Carrera GT would be in that ballpark but that’s for a FULL MovIt 396 CER kit with 6 piston Billet Calipers for BOTH front AND rear. But for an OE 380/350 PCCB friction ring conversion you are looking at several thousand less then that. Or for a small price more you can get the new 396/362 CER rotor upgrade all while using your factory Porsche Calipers. Actually the OE 380/350 CER’s are priced in the general ballpark of a new set of PCCB’s from Porsche. Plus the CER rotors do not wear out like the PCCB rotors AND they are repairable. In addition the friction ring last so long you can and probably will move the CER rotor from vehicle to future vehicle(s) since it lasts so long. So it’s basically a one time purchase or investment you will be able to use for years and years while reaping the benefits of utilizing the most advanced rotor made in the world.
Yes, you are correct, but I figure most who will spend 20K for rotors would go the whole way and replace all to ensure no more beveling of the front pads.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Yes, you are correct, but I figure most who will spend 20K for rotors would go the whole way and replace all to ensure no more beveling of the front pads.
Recent reports indicate the use of the new 396/362 CER conversion has the pads wearing more evenly and run cooler/lasting longer.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Even more evenly with the matching Movit calipers right?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Even more evenly with the matching Movit calipers right?
No with the OE Porsche Calipers and the new MovIt CER 396/362 rotor only upgrade. The OE sized 380/350 CER rotor upgrade still shows the pad beveling that the 380/350 PCCB's show.

In addition here are photos of a set of OE sized CER's after 15 track days or 30-35 hours installed on both a GT2 and GT3 RS. Wear is not-measurable using digital calipers. The surface remains smooth to the fingertip. Original hone and grain marks are visible. Pedal feel and modulation remain superior to OE PCCB, and remain steady and consistent through a track session. A set of OE Pagid P40 pads/MovIt supplied pads lasted approx 5 track days or 10 hours before replacement was necessary.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Here are 2 photos of the larger 396 upgrade using the OE Porsche Calipers on a GT3RS.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

they look pretty savvy
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
they look pretty savvy
Haha...You bet they do

The other poster is Tom Frederico, the USA distributor for Movit. I just messaged 911Slow to make him an official vendor/poster. Tom is a great guy, well versed in the technicals of brake systems and would be an informative participant in our little corner of the cyber world.

Of course the pics are of my car as I have been giving various iterations of the system the acid test over the past six months. It's a hell of brake system and like we have discussed in other threads, a value proposition that is not for everyone nor is an easy value proposition to get one's head around. The rotors by my experiences so far do seem to be "indestructible" to the point where they could go from car to car, and perform for 100,000's of thousands of miles.

Depending upon the configuration, very little or no weight penalty over OE PCCB. So, those who seek durability and mantain the rotating mass/unsprung weight advantages of the PCCB can have their cake and eat it too.

The full system, calipers/rotors/braided stainless lines on my Spyder has seen three track days where I destroyed a set of tires and tortured the brakes mercilessly and upon inspection there is no discernable brake pad wear (maybe 1mm). The rotors on that car appear brand new. It's crazy stuff.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The other poster is Tom Frederico, the USA distributor for Movit.
I knew it from his enthusiasm, but did not want to be rude, I'm shy like that. SLOW, make him pay or ban!

Just kidding, I like enthusiasm in my suppliers ;-)

Movit guys are crazy, but the stuff works crazy good and if you have the patience and upstart money it might eventually pay for itself both in $$ and convenience, I sure am no fan of working on my car changing rotors and pads.
I'm getting my car re wrapped Thursday and I'm open to sponsorship.

Quick Reply: Porsche PCCB Brake Pad Wear- What the Frick?