Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 BATTERY REPLACEMENT OPTIONS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:20 PM
porscheanova
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.2 Battery Replacement

I want to thank the members that posted replies to the question on options to replace the OEM battery. It was evident that getting another Porsche battery was not a good idea, in fact Porsche, to my knowledge, is using Decca batteries not the Moll Kamina that came with the car. I replaced my OEM battery, that has been in the car since new 2010, with an Interstate MTP- 94R/ H7, it is about an 1 1/8 larger than the stock battery but the tray has a second tap that fits the bracket perfectly with vent openings on both sides. I read comments on what might happen when power is disconnected from the car from a PSM warning, it resents after a short drive, to a clock and window stop reset.

I have a CTEK 7002 charger that has a supply setting that keeps power to the car thru the in car plug so no worries there. I thought I had all the bases covered but could not pull the battery from the tray, it helps to stand in the trunk. The tray has an upper lip that holds the battery in place you need to tilt the battery forward to extract it, well that's it, interesting point the OEM battery indicates 13.10 V sitting on the bench, my thought is that a cell is open and that is why it does not have the cranking power to start.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
brallle is great if you tow you track-only car.

in a normal street car or car that you drive to a track if alternator goes bad or if you drive at night with headbeams/etc electrical stuff at full capacity and you need to drive back home 1.5-4 hours you may end up in a serious trouble.

not to mention it will not have much juice in it to stay in the garage for 2-3 weeks and then start car up as normal heavy battery does. plus 997 cars really do not like when battery gets fully depleted while it`s connected to a car.
I have a Braille in my daily drive x 1 year now- lots of night time driving with aftermarket stereo Have left it alone for 11 days on vacation with no issues. It works great and weight like 5 pounds. HPDE/AX with it - it's great no issues.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Braille is a rebranded Deka, which is much much cheaper. I ran the smaller 15lb battery on my E30 M3. I wouldn't go that small with the GT3 because you will only have 3-4 cranks before it's out if your car does not fire. But heavier than that and lighter than stock options exist from Deka.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also going to recommend Deka. Excellent batteries without the worry of a lithium fire.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Another option that should be strongly considered is liteblox.

The upcoming LITEBLOX GEN4 will have a disable feature as well to protect the battery from dipping to low if the car has sat too long- and the battery can be shut of by a Smartphone APP via bluetooth from outside of the car.
Furthermore, there will be an anti theft feature, which can also be activated via smartphone, providing all the sensors in the car with energy while sitting, but if someone cranks the car without permission, the LITEBLOX will shut completely off then

From Liteblox:
Besides having a complex and fully intelligent BMS electronics, we use only use premium materials in our products, for example we use the latest cells from A123 System in the highest grade for maximum reliability and safety, manufactured after ISO9001.
Moreover our products have been extensively engineered to fit latest Porsche 9X1 vehicles which come with a complex energy management and sometimes KERS, putting highest loads onto the battery while running.

https://en.liteblox.de

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 BATTERY REPLACEMENT OPTIONS?