Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

458 Italia Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,741 Likes on 921 Posts
Default 458 Italia Recall

Off topic but I know that there are some here with a keen interest...

http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/ferrar...s-recall-memo/

Ferrari 458 Italia Receives Recall Memo
Mallik G. | September 2, 2010 at 10:56 am

A recall for the Ferrari 458 Italia was imminent, and we predicted the same while reporting the last incident of a Ferrari-fire on Aug 26. The rate at which the supercar was getting involved into fire-incidences was alarming, and many predicted some sort of flaw with the design. As a result, we see it as good news that Ferrari has finally recalled its new supercar to investigate the probable causes for several Ferrari 458 Italia’s catching fire.

During the last two months, there were five confirmed reports of Ferrari 458′s catching fire from across the globe with the last one being from China. If you have read our last article titled “One more Ferrari 458 Italia Crashes, Toll hits 11,” you know, “The first report of Ferrari 458 Italia catching fire had come from Paris when its owner was just trying to drive his brand new sports car. In the case that occurred in the month of July this year, the fire had started in the rear wheel before spreading to other parts. Within a few days of the incidence, France saw another Ferrari 458 catching fire while it was trying to climb up a mountain pass. Another fire-incident was reported last week from the London Heathrow airport, where the car caught into fire while staying in a warehouse before transporting it to an Arabian customer. The engine of the Ferrari 458 Italia catching fire was also noticed in the last week in America.”

The recall explicitly recognizes the manufacturing flaw that needs immediate attention. In fact, on preliminary investigation, Ferrari has isolated a certain adhesive material to blame for the accidents. The blame-worthy adhesive was used to fix a heat shield under the sports car’s rear fender. It is now being assumed that this adhesive has the potential to ignite a fire, once exposed to excessive temperature. Practically, images of all the five burning Ferrari 458′s indicate starting of the fire from the rear end of the car where the adhesive exists.

Towards fixing the problem, Ferrari is now considering replacing the present heat shield with a newly designed heat shield material that does not call for any adhesive material, where in its place they uses rivets to stay joined. Once the adhesive is removed, the problem of Ferrari 458 Italia catching fire will be solved once for all – expected to be!

via topspeed; image via crashzone
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,741 Likes on 921 Posts

Meant to post this in 997 GT2/GT3 forum. Admin, feel free to move if so inclined.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

dam I just traded mine for a Pinto
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 458 Italia Recall