Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Custom clear bra vs. kit......options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom clear bra vs. kit......options?

Hey guys! Well, my 2011 gt3 will complete production on 9/2/10 according to the dealer yesterday. In my efforts to find a suitable clear bra installer in Minneapolis (sorry, no Premier there) to do a custom job vs. a kit install, I got an email response from one which follows:

"I can do that extensive clear bra if you want. I know premier and could do that no prob. Totall install would take a few hours 4 - 5 hours however I would like to discuss the install before we start because I think there is some things that might make you change your mind. I have a few ideas if the lines bug you. I just want to give you all the options for your car so that you can make the correct decision. I will install the film however you prefer."

My questions are: what options/ideas does this installer have pertaining to a clear bra kit? And what issues about a custom job would make me change my mind in favor of the precut kit?

I'd like to stay away from a kit and get the front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, lights and wheel wells done.......without ugly seam lines. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

STOP.
if a custom job is 4-5 hours, either he's God or it's not custom.
8 hours is about right if he's fast and good.
there should be no lines.
bumper can be done in ONE piece, so is hood, front fender.
find someone who does clr bra not through a dealer. and a custom job wiht mostly just frontal coverage and wheel arches would be aobut $2000.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
STOP.
if a custom job is 4-5 hours, either he's God or it's not custom.
8 hours is about right if he's fast and good.
there should be no lines.
bumper can be done in ONE piece, so is hood, front fender.
find someone who does clr bra not through a dealer. and a custom job wiht mostly just frontal coverage and wheel arches would be aobut $2000.
Thanks Mooty -- I learn a lot from your posts! After reading this again, I see that there was a miscommunication on my part. While I understand that the bumper, hood, and front fender can be done in one piece (ie. without a seam from joining two pieces), I want to avoid the transition line where ppf ends and unprotected paint begins that I have seen with precut kits. (It catches a lot of wax build up, and only becomes more noticeable with time.)

Do all precut kits show this transition, or do some allow the ppf to tuck under the hood/bumper/headlights? I was under the assumption that only a custom job would do this........all you guys in Cali get the "custom install" from Premier, and it seems like not many people around here do that. Thanks.....I know this is quite rudimentary for most of you folks.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

pre cut kits do not wrap around panels. the tolerance to do that is too tight for precut.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

You don't want a pre-cut. I have that on my car and it's crap - removing it and repainted the front bumper (inadequate coverage).

I'd say, like Mooty, you NEED to find a good installer that can do a customer job for you. In addition to the front bumper, hood, and quarters, I would recommend getting the sills and rear wheel arch done. You're looking at $2000+ but avoiding a re-paint and having a clean looking install.

Not sure who is in your area, but some of the dealers and product folks may be willing to fly out to you (additional price obviously) if you can't find a local installer you trust. XPEL would be worth talking to if you find yourself in that position. They are good guys and have a good product. And yes, it's worth it.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

if the installer is good, do custom. if the guy is so-so, do pre-cut. because u don't want to take the chance of the guy cutting the film on the car. if he's not experienced, the outcome would suck...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Lot of misinformation here, boys.

Precut kits absolutely, positively can and often do have wrapped edges. Same for being seamless and covering entire panels. These are simply options to choose. The software we developed allows the installer to choose which edges to wrap and which not to wrap, which means that the customer has every option available to him. If the customer so wishes, the lights can be removed, the fender attachment clips can be removed, the spoiler can be taken off, etc. to wrap every single edge. It just costs more due to the extra labor.

There is nothing you can do by hand that you can't do with a kit...it just depends on the kit and the software, which is our specialty.

Here are some pics, for example, where the customer wanted everything wrapped. Everything here is done with a kit.

Quick Reply: Custom clear bra vs. kit......options?