Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinions on PCCB vs. Steel for mostly street use

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Pablobravo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on PCCB vs. Steel for mostly street use

First...sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, and second...I know the 3RS belongs mostly on the track....

What are the opinions for street use ?? I had an '08 GT3 with steel brakes and they made a LOT of noise on the street...especially at LOW speed coming to a stop. They of course made zero noise when driven at speed. I had the dealer clean and inspect/adjust...but the noise came back very quickly...

So what's the word ?? I'd be fine with steel if they could be made quiet..
It was a little embarrassing pulling up to stops watching people cover their ears !! LOL

Thanks everyone
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Squealing will be the same based on pad material transfer and a successful bed-in operation.
I've had the '07 GT3 in factory steel and ceramic. They were both quiet.
There's no justifying the expense of the ceramics in the 2010 cars in terms of performance over the steels, but if you can justify it to your own finances, then the ceramics are appealing and rewarding in their own right.
If you read the other ceramics thread, it looks like the aftermarket might have passed the factory (in cost and performance.) If I were building an RS today, I'd be tempted to go with factory iron and get the aftermarket brake kit from Movit just to see what's possible.
You could argue that the resale of the Movit kit is possibly 80% while the PCCB is perhaps 20%.
Given the "... and the horse you rode in on" policy from Porsche (at least in North America) on warranty, I'm not sure I want $8K+ rotors that have basically zero warranty -- anything goes wrong, it's your liability. For the $24K kit from Movit, I'd want a real warranty to back up their claims.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
For the $24K kit from Movit, I'd want a real warranty to back up their claims.
Yeah right and a gift trip for four days to the Cipriani and Palazzo Vendramin Hotel in Venice.

John
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Yeah right and a gift trip for four days to the Cipriani and Palazzo Vendramin Hotel in Venice.

John
Cipriani Beach House

That looks okay, but I prefer the white-sandy beach, perfect wind-surfing sort of dreams.

Anyway, I know it's naive to suppose a vendor would back up their sales pitch with a real product and a performance guarantee.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up

Ceramics would be my choice for the road, on my second car with them now.
Quiet, great feel, hardly any brake dust (and it's not black), and no corrosion to worry about if the car is laid up for a few weeks at a time like mine is.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

PCCB for the street all day long. the wear and tear is minimal on them and no winter rust during storage is a bonus.

even light track use they are cost effective.

The abilty to swap to iron rotors is the true bonus here.

Quick Reply: Opinions on PCCB vs. Steel for mostly street use