Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lets talk about "dealer delivery" and what to expect?..>

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

4 hrs at the dealer would be considered incarciration IMO...15 min tops that includes papers and delivery....My sales person asked me if there is anything I should tell him about the car
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by serpico1
Gentlemen,

As the day draws closer of my GT3's arrival, I was wondering about your experiences the day of.

What should I expect? 4 good hours there, from drop of check in finance office to going over the car, to driving her out of the dealership?

Did you guys have the window sticker left on until you showed up? Is there prepping involved, etc?

Was it displayed on the show room floor until you got it?

Curious about some experiences and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!
It depends upon what you want from the car.

I wanted to have it to the track same day. I had them clean it, get it on the alignment rack and "nut and bolt" it to be sure it wouldn't throw me out of the saddle.

On previous cars, I've wanted them to leave the transport plastic on and send it straight to a paint expert to have them clean it off and get it sealed in a couple of coats of wax and sealant before it saw the road.

If time is an issue, as mentioned, do it all by fax and the car should be waiting in their driveway (or yours) and you just get in and drive off. Definitely get the lease paperwork done remotely and insist they have their printouts done beforehand. I loathe being offered a "free" Starbucks (and I'd much rather Peet's) which comes at the very real expense of hanging around the finance office for an hour while they collate forms. And you have a lot more leverage to get things changed in the paperwork when there's no time constraints if you notice anything you'd like to change (like getting wheel and tire protection insurance coverage for free is a nice way to save $1K.)

I just had a new GL350 delivered to the house rather than pick it up. I think that's fine for an SUV from a dealer I trust and it was fully wrapped in 3M film before it left the dealer detail building, so I was confident the paint was protected before my kids climbed all over it.

But for a GT3 or RS, I'd want to have a walk around the car and know it's been on an alignment rack before I took it to the track. I used to do alignments myself and I saw a lot of new or near zero mile 996 GT3's and I rarely saw one that was ready to go to the track.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
4 hrs at the dealer would be considered incarciration IMO...15 min tops that includes papers and delivery....My sales person asked me if there is anything I should tell him about the car
hahaha.
there's always a taco kart outside the dealership i hang out.
i like to have taco with A LOT of raw onions.
i always have two tacos just before i enter the dealership.
no one ever bothers me and all wish i leave quickly.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
hahaha.
Are you sure it's the onions?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Are you sure it's the onions?
LOL.
the onion is for special effects, tom needs more hints than others.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

You should figure an hour or less. Just tell them that you don't want to waste time, or listen to long winded attempts to sell extras like extended insurance, underbody protection, etc.

I met my salesman on the showroom floor, shook his hand and exchanged pleasantries and he immediately sent me to the "closer" to complete the deal. Gave them a check, signed a few papers and when I walked out of the office my salesman had my car out of the dealership running and ready to go.

Very smooth.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ditto- I have bought three cars from my dealer and never met them in person. I send a check, they deliver a car, clean and with full tank of gas. Stoppie at Porsche N Olmsted for the win! lol
I thought it was verbotten to mention the name of stopper.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

You can make it as long or short as you want. You can call in ahead to get most of the paperwork done.
You can go over your car with your salesman. Thats the hard part for me, "let me have my car!"

BMW likes me so much it take HOURS to get through all the crap
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
hahaha.
LOL....Fava beans have a much higher Greenhouse gas effect just in case you want them to deliver it to your garage
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Here is a delivery story for you.....My 8 yr old wated a fish tank so we got one but needed to wait a few days for the enviroment to be ready for fish which is eternity for an 8 yr old so eveyday when he comes home he asked me if we can get a fish now and I say not yet...
A few days later I was having a new Porsche delivered off the truck and onto the driveway at the same time when the school bus arrived so all the kids had their heads out looking at the new Porsche....
My son gets off the bus, so I say to him Look at the new car...he rolled his eyes and said " Can we go get the fish now".......I am patiently waiting till he is 16 and when the time comes for him to ask me for the keys I will have a Gold fish handed to him instead.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about "dealer delivery" and what to expect?..>