Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Experience with JRZ RS suspension on a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I have seen so many enthusiastic owners pay thousands on a new big name hi - quality suspension and the final outcome rarely meets their expectations or is better than the original.
If you think how much money time and resources manufactures utilize for their end product, you would change your mind on what’s easy or not.
Also the more adjustable a suspension is the more likely to have a big mess at the end.
Here come into play respected tuners who actually have done the work for us.

A real example: one tuner spent two weeks in a track in Germany with, 9 people, 5 laptops with special software, pyrometers, g-meters,height sensors etc and two pro drivers to develop one kit for a current Porsche model.

How can any of us match that? No way.

That been said small steps can be made to
1. Correct some design mistakes such as toe links etc and
2. Fine tune the suspension as long as you are familiar with what was on the car originally its specs and numbers (which itself is pretty tricky) and what you want to change and why.
For example 996gt3’s without the newer shocks can be transformed to better track cars (and can take advantage of semi slicks) with 4 proper springs and maybe a set of non- adjustable properly re-valved shocks given that you follow the baseline of the original items and alter them within a reasonable frame. Of course doing so would cost on the street behavior.
Just a thought.

Last edited by 911SLOW; 07-29-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos many
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Utkinpol, I got notice that you replied to my post, but it's not here. Not sure if you deleted, or that there is something else happening.
deleted, i just assume you do want to experiment, so, i guess why not.
i would be interested myself to see results of this experiment.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911Slow/John, is that company by any chance Manthey ?. I would love to know since I know they do a lot of research, and Roger/Orbit sometimes works closely with Manthey/Olaf. And if staying w Billsteins, should we consider Cargraphic, Manthey, or B16's ?

Utkinpol, I'll keep you posted. Again, per Roger, at one point we are just overpowering the springs, but we are indeed very limited because we are staying with the "soft sidewall RA1's". Roger would love to go out for a day and plot everything on the computer, but I just don't have that kind of budget :-)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Manthey uses KW, Cargraphic uses Bilstein.
Of course you can buy directly from them but what you end up with, although similar is not same.
These guys use their specs and setups and that’s the key difference.
Cargraphic used some trick progressive springs.
Also I am pretty sure that they can dial any suspension. Manthey has a little of an advantage there. Maybe because he is located near a curtain track..

Quick Reply: Experience with JRZ RS suspension on a GT3