Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lion battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Lion battery

Left the car parked for a week or so...not on a charger...I noticed that the battery was beeping and the car was in sleep mode. I opened the door with the key and statred the car, there was enough voltage to start the car, then I shut the car off and the beeping stopped....So I am no sure what the beeping indicates as this is my 1st Lion battery ever?? Any expert input out there.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got the Li-ion battery but have not installed it yet. I plan to this weekend and will see what happens.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

That is a normal indication that it needs to be charged, I think the manual says charge it with the Charge-O-mat or take it for a drive. Pretty sure it starts beeping with enough juice to still start the car so it doesn't go totally dead. I use the power source on the passenger side about where the passenger's left knee would be for the charger.
The electric cooling fan sucks a lot of juice when you park it, then I guess just a slow loss of charge over time. I leave the car with the key out of the ignition and the alarm off, lasts longer that way if it is in a secure place.
FYI-there is a new step to opening the trunk with a totally dead battery, you run 12V to the post in the fuse box under the dash, then are able to retrieve the key from the ignition if it was captured and activate the button on the key to open the trunk. You can't just reach down and open the trunk anymore with the switch by the seat when 12V is supplied as on all of the 996 and pre -10 997's.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting note about leaving your key near your newer porsches. The dealer told me on my 2011 rs that do not leave the key near the car because the key and the car are constantly communicating back and forth and it drains the battery faster. Take the key in the house.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
The dealer told me on my 2011 rs that do not leave the key near the car because the key and the car are constantly communicating back and forth and it drains the battery faster.
I wonder they talk about?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Interesting note about leaving your key near your newer porsches. The dealer told me on my 2011 rs that do not leave the key near the car because the key and the car are constantly communicating back and forth and it drains the battery faster. Take the key in the house.
Dealer thinks 2011rs have keyless go like a merc? nice.
No communication between key and car without you translating for them by pressing button or inserting key in lock.

John
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Dealer thinks 2011rs have keyless go like a merc? nice.
No communication between key and car without you translating for them by pressing button or inserting key in lock.

John
Say what? Pushing a button? In a 911?

Sorry, you meant on the key... I thought you were talking about a start button. Heaven forbid!

Quick Reply: Lion battery