Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

X-Post: Ring and Spa report

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts
Default X-Post: Ring and Spa report

Posted my experiences HERE. You could not throw a rock at either track without hitting a GT2 or GT3. If you've got schadenfreude, be sure to look at the Scenes from Spa....

Last edited by facelvega; 07-19-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing what you will all see at the Ring! When you think about it I guess it is surprising that it all ends up working as well as it does. Can you imagine if they had such a facility here in the states?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
It's amazing what you will all see at the Ring! When you think about it I guess it is surprising that it all ends up working as well as it does. Can you imagine if they had such a facility here in the states?
It could never work here. I do not know anything about the legal system in Germany, but the operation of the Ring depends on the concept that an individual is responsible for their own actions. If you crash - it is your fault - you pay for any damages you cause, to the track, other cars, and to yourself. If you kill yourself - then you clearly overestimated your skills - too bad for you.

In the US, the litigation resulting from just the wrecks I passed during one day there would close the track. The recap video shows only the action I went past - the track was closed three other times that day, when I was off the track resting, so there were many more serious shunts during the day.

It is really a thrilling experience, but you need to go in with your eyes open....
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

facel vega; Just watched this a couple of times http://www.vimeo.com/13385572

Good video to watch before I go next time, I still don't know the track.

Great driving, I was there 1 week later in a slower car, but funny to watch. It sure helps to follow a car that knows the line!
My tire squeaking, hesitations and overbraking matched yours pretty well, but I was going slower then you!

I only ran the Ring for 2 hours and witnessed plenty of near misses and one car rolled over against the guard rail.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-18-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
facel vega; Just watched this a couple of times http://www.vimeo.com/13385572

Good video to watch before I go next time, I still don't know the track.

Great driving, I was there 1 week later in a slower car, but funny to watch. It sure helps to follow a car that knows the line!
My tire squeaking, hesitations and overbraking matched yours pretty well, but I was going slower then you!

I only ran the Ring for 2 hours and witnessed plenty of near misses and one car rolled over against the guard rail.
As someone else said, you cannot really go fast on the Ring until you know the track (or are Finnish). Most turn-in points are over a blind crest, so you need to remember where it is so you can aim towards it. Most apexes are not visible from turn-in, and track out is usually not visible from the apex. You have to be so confident of your memory of the track that you will carry tremendous speed into one blind situation after another.

I am starting to carry speed in some sections of the track, but there is still a lot I am not sure of. Even after the line is learned, you have to figure out how much speed you can carry through each turn. After you go through a turn, you have the rest of a 10 minute lap of terror, then at least 10 minutes in queue waiting to start you next lap, before you get to try the corner again. Realistically, you only see a corner evey 30 minutes; how long does it take to inch up on maximum speed at that rate? And what are there, something like 130 curves?

It is crazy, but boy, is it fun!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
As someone else said, you cannot really go fast on the Ring until you know the track (or are Finnish). Most turn-in points are over a blind crest, so you need to remember where it is so you can aim towards it. Most apexes are not visible from turn-in, and track out is usually not visible from the apex. You have to be so confident of your memory of the track that you will carry tremendous speed into one blind situation after another.

I am starting to carry speed in some sections of the track, but there is still a lot I am not sure of. Even after the line is learned, you have to figure out how much speed you can carry through each turn. After you go through a turn, you have the rest of a 10 minute lap of terror, then at least 10 minutes in queue waiting to start you next lap, before you get to try the corner again. Realistically, you only see a corner evey 30 minutes; how long does it take to inch up on maximum speed at that rate? And what are there, something like 130 curves?

It is crazy, but boy, is it fun!
it took me about 2+ BMW schools and a few lapping days to get my best BtoG of 8:00 in my '07 GT3 ... sadly I did not pay too much attention to how many laps Ive done ... but it's up in the 100's now ....

back there in 2 wks time! ... hurrah!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

After you go through a turn, you have the rest of a 10 minute lap of terror, then at least 10 minutes in queue waiting to start you next lap, before you get to try the corner again.
I guess I was lucky, no queue for me, pull off, waive card and off I went...

Quick Reply: X-Post: Ring and Spa report