Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche cup car at Pikes Peak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche cup car at Pikes Peak

Checking off another bucket list event, I decided to finally run Pikes Peak this past weekend. I rented a race car, and when I got there I learned that Jeff Zwart was in my practice group in a new cup car! He totally dominated his class and the car rocked! I was not so fortunate. I lost first in my class by 1.5 seconds and missed the class record by 6 seconds....but at least I did not damage the rental!
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

thanks fo sharing!

was that a CUP S rear bumper/exhaust?

Jeff Zwart has compained Pikes Peak in the past with a 993 turbo, 996 turbo and 996 GT2.....

bringing a CUP to the Peak is pretty awesome!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

If someone on this forum owns Jeff's old GT2 that he ran Pikes Peak in let me know. I have something that you might like.

JCM
Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is Freekin AWESOME!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kscheible
Checking off another bucket list event, I decided to finally run Pikes Peak this past weekend. I rented a race car, and when I got there I learned that Jeff Zwart was in my practice group in a new cup car! He totally dominated his class and the car rocked! I was not so fortunate. I lost first in my class by 1.5 seconds and missed the class record by 6 seconds....but at least I did not damage the rental!
Hey, wait a minute!!! How about you telling us more about your experience! The cup car at the event is really cool, but I am sure others would love to hear some details. I know I would love to hear about it please! Congrats on your time and all, but also congrats for even participating!

Ummm, BTW what else have you crossed off on your bucket list and what is unchecked
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xq1lkn13A

Not the best quality but still cool.

John
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Team Drug Money,

I spared the details thinking that it was too far off topic for this forum. Here are more details from the rally forum:

I rented a decent Subaru from Dave Carepetyan at Rally Ready Motorsports. Dave got these radical engine tuners, AWD Tuning from Dallas, to donate some motor tweaks for the race. Other than that, the car was a basic rally car....nothing trick. My youngest son co-drove. Since I was a rookie, I took it really easy during practice. My plan was to run a 11:45 on race day, which I thought would be enough to win the class while setting a new class record. I almost pulled it off. I blew the first gravel corner so bad, I am sure the spectators were thinking that I was pulling over to sign autographs. The rest of the run was great, except near the top my son started to freak out. I mean "call the medics freak out!" I cannot blame him...first event like this and at this speed was asking a lot of the kid. We ended up at 11:55. Missing the record my 6 seconds and losing the class win by 1.5 seconds to a very well prepared Aussie team in an Evo. I have to go back next year...a few more tweaks (bigger brakes and tires) and an experienced co-driver and that should be enough. It's been 8 years since I drove a rally car in the US so I should be pleased....but would have loved the win.

My next bucket list item is the East African Safari Rally. Would love to run a 911, but it would run about $100k to rent a well prepped 911. Too rich for my blood!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Saw this great picture over at SpeedHunters.com
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

shatters rwd class record and kills competition.

in car video:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ord-video.html
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
shatters rwd class record and kills competition.

in car video:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ord-video.html
Thanks!!

That Vid was AWESOME!! Especially when he goes from Tarmac to Gravel!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

"
The P Zero tires that Zwart will use for his record-run attempt are the same wet-weather Pirellis that regularly draw strong reviews from the GRAND-AM Rolex Series GT ranks. Zwart’s Pirelli of choice for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb is a rain-tire application, which will attack a course comprised of paved and gravel sections.

“Having the opportunity to work with Porsche Motorsports North America and top talent Jeff Zwart at Pikes Peak is an integral part of the continuing technical partnership with Porsche in North American sports car racing the last few years,” said Rafael Navarro III, Pirelli Tire North America Director of Motorsport and Media Relations. “To take this collective experience and apply the same road-race winning Pirelli P Zero and Porsche 911 GT3 Cup package to an entirely new discipline is the type of challenge that Pirelli has embraced throughout its more than 100 years of winning success in motorsports.”

Paul Ritchie, President and CEO of Porsche Motorsport North America, Inc., is very enthusiastic about the opportunity to see a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car in the event.

“We have considered this for a while, and to run the hill with Jeff Zwart is a great chance to put his driving skills with our product,” Ritchie said. “Our engineers and technicians chose the new 3.8 liter engine to match Jeff's 2007 Cup car and low ratio gearbox. Engine mapping was modified for the altitude and the ride height, suspension and underbody protection were modified for this rally-type event. The suspension changes also accommodate the outstanding Pirelli P Zero rain tires, which worked exceptionally well during testing. Pre-race tests suggest that the 911 GT3 Cup car fitted with Pirelli tires could be a winning combination for Jeff."
"

How on earth he drove like that in the gravel with wet slicks is beyond me.

John
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice run...the sequential box on uneven road surfaces (gravel,sand,tarmac,) has got to be absolutely mind blowing...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Sure does look like fun! Thanks for sharing all this.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Anybody interested in doing it with THEIR CUP?

Quick Reply: Porsche cup car at Pikes Peak