Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: life-long keeper: clear bra or not?
Yes -- clear bra
79.17%
No -- respray when needed
20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: clear bra on a keeper, yes or no? (2011 allocations are here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: clear bra on a keeper, yes or no? (2011 allocations are here)

Hey guys. Good news for those who were a bit late to the party last year. I was just contacted by a Porsche Premier dealer who received a gt3 allocation today. They are coming......

Anyway, my poll question is: For a life-long keeper car driven daily during Spring through Fall, would you have a clear bra like Ventureshield applied, or just take the chips as they come and respray in 10 years? Resale value not important, only esthetics.

Also, how long on average does ppf last and does it get pretty crappy looking after some gravel impacts? Thanks in advance......it is gonna happen!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IAortho
Hey guys. Good news for those who were a bit late to the party last year. I was just contacted by a Porsche Premier dealer who received a gt3 allocation today. They are coming......

Anyway, my poll question is: For a life-long keeper car driven daily during Spring through Fall, would you have a clear bra like Ventureshield applied, or just take the chips as they come and respray in 10 years? Resale value not important, only esthetics.

Also, how long on average does ppf last and does it get pretty crappy looking after some gravel impacts? Thanks in advance......it is gonna happen!
PPF will give the car a couple of years at a time and it looks fantastic after a gravel scrape (compared to how the paint would have looked!) I recently scraped the nose (!) of a Carrera on an insanely deep rain gutter (really more of a storm culvert.) I couldn't believe how hard it was to angle the car and teeter across with one wheel up in the air. Anyway, sure enough, it scraped on the way up the other side. I thought I was toast, but the plastic took the hit. It looked like hell, but once it was cleaned up, it was apparent the paint was immaculate. I was overjoyed.

I've also had a couple of cars covered head to toe in PPF -- it's not for the concours garage queen that's got to deliver the deep pool of infinite color, but it is great for a car being driven. I've had cars covered in ice parked overnight for a week or more in sub-zero blizzards ... ice sliding off paint can be a disaster ... I had the hood of a new Range Rover look like it was attacked by a lion once ... but with the PPF, the paint was unscathed and the PPF itself, covered with ample synthetic wax, does remarkably well in all kinds of cruddy conditions.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

definitely clear bra.

got full front coverage with 3M on the RS, cost slightly over $1000, no brainer for me.

got half front coverage on club coupe for 4+ years, still looks very good.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wrap that lifelong rascal
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. I would drive the car from dealer directly to the clear bra installer.

Regards,
Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up clear bra

I have a metallic black 08 gt2 and I have the 3m bra on the front, hood, side mirrors, and the entire front fenders, and headlights. I think it was 1000 to do all of this and I think it is worth every penny. It was well done but I can see a few blems in it but I would rather look at that then scratches in the paint. It is way cheaper to replace a bra every couple of years than paint. I also have elliminated the issue of having to mask off anything on track days.

I vote yes to this.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

not even a question. bra it.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be a lemming -- enjoy the paint au naturel.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Clear bra for sure!

I just had a full front, partial roof, rockers, sills, etc... done w/3M film on my .2 gt3. Second car done this way. The film should last at least 3-5 years for a daily driver frequently parked outside and over twice that for a garge queen (just my guess).

Last edited by 911dev; 06-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clear bra for sure. If I were you I would pay to have the clear bra guy do it at the dealer before the car ever sees the street. There was a guy who posted recently that got a stone chip while driving to the clear bra installer. I also recommend a place that wraps around all edges as this is a much cleaner and more invisible installation. More expensive but will look better in the long run.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Clear bra for sure. If I were you I would pay to have the clear bra guy do it at the dealer before the car ever sees the street. There was a guy who posted recently that got a stone chip while driving to the clear bra installer. I also recommend a place that wraps around all edges as this is a much cleaner and more invisible installation. More expensive but will look better in the long run.
I had to drive my car 300 miles to the installer so I wrapped the ENTIRE front section with blue painter's tape too include the A pillars, wheel wells and rockers. Anyway, it worked perfectly. The car arrived without any chips.

I agree with the wrapped clear bra as the pre-cut kits leave too many seams and more exposed area. Mine was pricey but worth it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go natural. When the car is worth only $50k, and it 10 years old, do you really think you're going to get your money back? And is that savings worth the fact that you have a condom on the car that will slowly degrade over time? And potentially need replacing every few years? And that can't be waxed / polished as well as paint?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
Go natural. When the car is worth only $50k, and it 10 years old, do you really think you're going to get your money back? And is that savings worth the fact that you have a condom on the car that will slowly degrade over time? And potentially need replacing every few years? And that can't be waxed / polished as well as paint?
What?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

One thing that folks here seem to misunderstand. Kits do not HAVE to have more seams or leave more exposed area than a custom wrap. That is determined by the design of the kit itself. The kits we design are all available with wrapped edges as an option, and seams depend on the design philosophy of the company designing the kit. In fact, we just did a Boxster for a board member yesterday in Premium film that wrapped inside the headlamps, marker lamps, wheel openings, hood....wait, it's easier to just say it wrapped everywhere The customer freaked when he saw the thing...completely undetectable. No orange peel (at all), no seams, no edges. Looked like nothing had been done to it at all.

Anyway, point is the amount a clear bra covers is a choice, and come to think of it, that goes for custom wraps too. Believe me, not all the custom wrap guys out there install like Premier does. If you get the wrong installer, you are going to be wishing you had done something else.

Last edited by XPEL; 06-09-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
One thing that folks here seem to misunderstand. Kits do not HAVE to have more seams or leave more exposed area than a custom wrap. That is determined by the design of the kit itself. The kits we design are all available with wrapped edges as an option, and seams depend on the design philosophy of the company designing the kit. In fact, we just did a Boxster for a board member yesterday in Premium film that wrapped inside the headlamps, marker lamps, wheel openings, hood....wait, it's easier to just say it wrapped everywhere The customer freaked when he saw the thing...completely undetectable. No orange peel (at all), no seams, no edges. Looked like nothing had been done to it at all.

Anyway, point is the amount a clear bra covers is a choice, and come to think of it, that goes for custom wraps too. Believe me, not all the custom wrap guys out there install like Premier does. If you get the wrong installer, you are going to be wishing you had done something else.
Good to know. Any facilities in NY or nearby?

Quick Reply: Poll: clear bra on a keeper, yes or no? (2011 allocations are here)