Boxster Spyder vs RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
riding with me hahaha.
i am abrupt and rough with my inputs. i pray for results and sometimes i pray well.
a ride with 171mph would be something. make sure you wear diapers and a dirt mask. i am still coughing up dust since my ride 3 years ago.
U are next tier from 171 mph. He's smooth and aggressive at the same time. yeah lippucker moments but hell what a ride : ). Mike
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
mooty- In the last 30 months, I've
bought 08 gt3. sold it.
bought 08 gt3RS. tracked it
bought an mx5 cup car, trained and raced it, rain or shine.
bought a diesel f250 (to tow my cars to the track, girlfriend at time hit a pole, never fixed it.)
bought a spec boxster. tracked it- rain or shine.
sold 08 gt3RS.
bought 05 CGT. tracked a few times, learned how to drift and do skidpad stuff in the wet. (lived on track at MSR)
sold 08 gt3RS.
raced open wheel cars...rain or shine. (THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER)
bought a GTi to commute (and for whatever babe is in town to drive)
more open wheel races.
ordered really expensive simulator for more open wheeling.
sold my 993TT.
bought '11 gt3RS. (already planning on selling it within 12 months)

around 25 races. don't even really care about track days anymore. just need something classy (CGT) something practical (truck) something with good mpg/girl car (GTi). and something to drive on a trackday in case my friends are going and I want to show off (RS)
What happened to the girlfriend?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
no longer. have been test driving possible upgrades since
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

........................speechless
Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

although I might be the only guy in america who taught his gf to drive a stick using a CGT in a parking lot. I just explained to her that she was only allowed to use one foot at a time to get it rolling from a stop. it took 20 seconds for her to process initially and then she had it down. we never got to work on heel-toe threshold braking+downshifting.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

^
Wow, that is awesome -- hats off to you.

I too have a Spyder and an RS (Gen 1) and I too have had both on the track. I am still in shock how good the little Spyder is on the track. Unreal. Classic Porsche -- it is a giant killer. And I can't even imagine what it would do with MPSCs!

I just saw this review and I agree with the author's conclusions -- the Spyder is seriously good. I now have over 1500 miles on my Spyder (it is currently my DD) and it puts a smile on my face every time I am behind the wheel.

http://jalopnik.com/5549796/2011-por...er-first-drive
Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by zellamsee
^
Wow, that is awesome -- hats off to you.

I too have a Spyder and an RS (Gen 1) and I too have had both on the track. I am still in shock how good the little Spyder is on the track. Unreal. Classic Porsche -- it is a giant killer. And I can't even imagine what it would do with MPSCs!

I just saw this review and I agree with the author's conclusions -- the Spyder is seriously good. I now have over 1500 miles on my Spyder (it is currently my DD) and it puts a smile on my face every time I am behind the wheel.

http://jalopnik.com/5549796/2011-por...er-first-drive
I had not read that review before. That is one of the best writing styles I have ever seen. I agree 100% Thank you for posting the link!

PS: anti-PCCB folks, under no circumstances read what I just posted over in the 987 forum post. Seriously, don't do it. Just trying to be helpful.

hehe
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Savy: something to keep you busy while you're waiting for the RS to return:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/03/t...oxster-spyder/

TPC Racing to turbocharge Porsche Boxster Spyder

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Jun 3rd 2010 at 7:25PM
TPC Racing Porsche Boxster Spyder – Click above for high-res image gallery

The Boxster Spyder may be one of the purest Porsches to date, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. However, unlike the majority of tuning firms, TPC Racing is different. They take a holistic approach to the project at hand and in the case of their white-on-black Spyder, they're not just looking to improve the Porsche's performance, they're out to build a supercar.

We've spent time with the company's Cayman S Turbo and there's no doubt they've got the skills to accomplish the task (20+ years of motorsports knowledge helps), but how do you improve on something that's damn-near perfect right out of the box? In this case, the answer (predictably for TPC) comes in the form of forced induction.

Although they've already increased the output of the flat-six to 321 horsepower with a few ECU tweaks, the planned turbo upgrade will boost the power to 470 hp... at the wheels. In a 2,811-pound roadster.

But if you only want the power upgrade, look elsewhere. TPC won't offer the engine work alone, opting instead for a comprehensive upgrade package that includes a round of suspension mods that won't just make the Spyder stick harder, but offer infinite adjustability through Porsche's two-mode shock system. The whole kit-and-caboodle will set you back around $16,000 ($10k for the engine mods and $6k for the suspension), but once it's completed, the $80,000 entry price should be enough to shame some of the world's most high-powered exotics.

Kilometer Magazine will be following the build, so expect more updates to come in the following weeks.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
although I might be the only guy in america who taught his gf to drive a stick using a CGT in a parking lot. I just explained to her that she was only allowed to use one foot at a time to get it rolling from a stop. it took 20 seconds for her to process initially and then she had it down. we never got to work on heel-toe threshold braking+downshifting.
And they say CGT clutches are fragile....
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Savy: something to keep you busy while you're waiting for the RS to return:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/03/t...oxster-spyder/

[I]TPC Racing to turbocharge Porsche Boxster Spyder

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Jun 3rd 2010 at 7:25PM
TPC Racing Porsche Boxster Spyder – Click above for high-res image gallery
Can you imagine?

You and Casey are killin' me.

A GT3 and a blown Spyder in the garage, that is an enthusiasts wet dream I tell you!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good thread pete.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cparkin
good thread pete.
I just talked to Tom Chan regarding installation/alignment settings over at your (other) place- TPC. Sharp, super helpful, great service. Can't wait to get the sway bars installed next week.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Just popped over to the Spyder configurator...has anyone seen this new Platinum Silver colour in person?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

I got a ride in the Spyder @ Mid Ohio with Rich from PSDE driving. Drivers aides off, PDK manual shift mode and off we went. By turn 2 we were sliding sideways in every turn and hauling freight. Probably helped as I said it was my 1st time # Mid Ohio and could use a fast track tour. I was really impressed and glad I didn't have my checkbook available.

Peter
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

My black Spyder arrives in about a month. I can't wait.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs RS