Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Steaming (hot) center front radiator when it rains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 280 Likes on 135 Posts
Question Steaming (hot) center front radiator when it rains?

Hey guys,

I've noticed this past week, that my front center radiator (I think) smokes/steams, when rain water enters the front top vent above it. The car runs perfect and the temps as well. Even during track events. No fluid leaks. Just when it rains, and water gets in through that center front vents, above the front center radiator, steam comes out, A LOT, but all gages temps are perfectly normal. When it happens and put my hand over it, it feels really hot though. Any thoughts? I plan to take it to the dealer to have it checked out, but thought I'd asked if anyone experience this in the past.... 2010 GT3 with 8k miles....

Thanks in advanced.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quite normal. the radiator is hot and the water has easy access to the source radiator. also when you wash the car when warmed up. not a problem.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has done this since new. I think of it as the car "breathing" You should see it on super cold Canadian nights. Then it really looks trippy. The downside to that front vent is felt more in the summer months, when super hot air comes through there and enters the cabin, making a windows down drive a pretty toasty affair.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Ok, thanks. I pulled up to hotel entrance this weekend right after driving in the rain and a could of steam kept coming out. Kinda like when regular cars overheat. The valet people were " is it overheating?", I looked at the gages and said "no....." I was really thinking "aw sh*t, I hope not", I was 300 miles from home
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
. The valet people :
you did not let them drive it.....right??

wait till you see the steam in the winter...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience recently, and the car is only 2 weeks old. I assumed it was normal as all gauges appeared in the normal range. The frunk gettings pretty toasty. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leif997
you did not let them drive it.....right??

It got a VIP spot, right in front of the entrance. I parked, got out, paid, took the keys with me
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Hey guys,

I've noticed this past week, that my front center radiator (I think) smokes/steams, when rain water enters the front top vent above it. The car runs perfect and the temps as well. Even during track events. No fluid leaks. Just when it rains, and water gets in through that center front vents, above the front center radiator, steam comes out, A LOT, but all gages temps are perfectly normal. When it happens and put my hand over it, it feels really hot though. Any thoughts? I plan to take it to the dealer to have it checked out, but thought I'd asked if anyone experience this in the past.... 2010 GT3 with 8k miles....

Thanks in advanced.
"They all do that."

But I shared your "oh no" moment when I drove it in the rain (the day I picked it up) and stopped for gas and thought ... "oh crap ... why oh why do they put water in a perfectly good 911?!"
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i have raced in heavy cool rain and the steam at start can be a little startling. I was scared my first time i witnessed it.
but alas, no biggie.

Quick Reply: Steaming (hot) center front radiator when it rains?