Need Advice Please: Buy now or wait? 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM
serpico1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice Please: Buy now or wait? 997.2 GT3

Hello all,

Avid daily lurker and I enjoy this forum very much.

I am serious need of advice from this forum.

I have had my eye on the new 997.2 GT3 for some time now. I am obsessed with this monster. A buddy of mine has the 997.1 GT3 RS and I had the pleasure of driving it in Atlanta last year. What a beast. I love the way I feel in the car. I have driven the Turbo and the S and for my personal taste there is no comparison. Its just such a visceral feeling this car gives you!

I was on the list last year for the 997.2 GT3 and cancelled my order after the market got hammered. But, everyday I tell myself I should just do it.

Its not a question of money( $125k is a lot for anyone and I am by no means loaded. But I work hard and do ok, and frankly have not treated myself to something big like this in years.

Its just that I live in New York City and would not buy the GT3 for here, but rather as a "weekend" car in Fla. I have a small condo in Central Florida and I go down often. But I still live full time in NYC and am not moving to FLA for another 2-3 years.

I do not want to buy used (want to own new from day one and prepared to pay for the price and 110% know the GT3 is the car I want. I would be keeping this car forever (8-10 years)

With that in mind,

A few questions:

1. Is it a waste to have this monster in the garage and only drive it 15-20 times during the year? (Once a month)

2. Would it hurt the car mechanically if its not driven for a month or two at a time?

It’s a hard decision. Things are looking better in the world. On one hand I work my butt of 10 hours a day, grinding in the city and think to myself "hey, I deserve my dream car.
The other side of my brain, says, hold off, wait 3 years and buy one then.

It’s a hard choice and no clear answer, but if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by serpico1

1. Is it a waste to have this monster in the garage and only drive it 15-20 times during the year? (Once a month)

2. Would it hurt the car mechanically if its not driven for a month or two at a time?

It’s a hard decision. Things are looking better in the world. On one hand I work my butt of 10 hours a day, grinding in the city and think to myself "hey, I deserve my dream car.
The other side of my brain, says, hold off, wait 3 years and buy one then.

It’s a hard choice and no clear answer, but if you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks for the advice.
1. Yes

2. Yes

So, buy the car, used or new, and keep it in NYC. You can also keep it in NJ. There are plenty of racetracks in the Tri-State area (Monticello, Pocono, Lime Rock, Lightning, Thuderbolt, Watkins Glen), very active Autocross programs (Englishtown racetrack, Giant Stasium, Tobay Beach, and others) including the Porsche Club, SCCA, NASA, BMW club. The NNJR and Metro NY Porsche Clubs are a fun group of nice people, and that would make your ownership experience a lot more fun and better.

If $125k seems like a stretch, you can swing a 2007 low miles GT3 $50k cheaper, and the car is as good as the 2010.

Then ship the GT3 to Florida during winter time (very cheap) and enjoy it down there on the nice weather, while you use it at HomeStead, Daytona, Sebring, and the other AutoX clubs.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

What Rad said.

Get it, you only live once.
Sounds like you could enjoy the car both up north in the summer and here in Florida in the winter.
Perfect until you move down.

If you buy new, I would get an RS, if you can find one with little options. My MSRP was 135K.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

my 2 cents.

1. while I agree that it is a waste not driving the car, my RS mainly sits in the garage. It is for track, porsche events, and sunny weekend outings. Probably will put on 3000 miles or less per year.

2. RS will be stored for 5 months during winter. I do it to all my 911s in winter.

You work too hard, keep thinking about the GT3, I agree that you should just get it now.

When the next GT3 loses the GT1 engine, you will hate yourself very much.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 AM
RAPID
Racer

I agree with Tim, and would say 1. No, 2. Not if you take minimum precautions when not using it for a period of time.
If you feel you deserve it, by all means go for it!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I love your desire!

Here is my personal take.

I too live in snow belt and spend time in florida 6-8 weeks total a year and enjoy having a toy in the fantastic sunshine weather. I keep my 63' vette and west coast chopper in florida for just that purpose.
(i now wish i had my RS there too for the short stints! sebring is 2 hours away from me!)
A GT3 kept virgin and clean in your florida home would be sooo much fun every time you visit florida to the point you would be coming down more often

I also spend time in western canada half the year and the other half in eastern canada. I actually ship my GT3 RS across canada each time i switch from east to west. Im never really without my RS. Thus, dont be afraid to use the GT3 in New York during June-October and florida Nov-May. Simply throw it on a car carrier of choice from New York porsche dealer to Florida porsche dealer each year and get it serviced while it is at those dealerships.

By shipping the car from north to south each year it is a little extra on the budget, but really worth it to maximize your new investment. You can attend PCA stuff in both regions! Get to know to Dealers, and met lots of friendly P-car owners in both states!

A well traveled GT3 will always have more stories for you to remember over the term of your personal ownership. Ahhhh, just think of the memories and pictures you will have. LOL!

Dont delay, go get it. I bought my first GT3 in 2009 and i have a blast everywhere in it! I will never be without it.

Picture yourself in New York on a sunny day and your GT3 is in Florida parked in a garage. Another guy pulls up next to you in his GT3 and you look over and get the feeling you are really missing out today........
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,349 Posts

DO IT ... there is not a lot of '10 inventory left, and it's not clear what MY'11 will bring to these shores
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
serpico1
Intermediate

Default Thanks for the input and advice...one last add on comment..>

Really appreciate the advice.

I am getting closer to the " you only live once motto"...

But I would not bring this beast to NYC. Its a zoo here for those that dont know the traffic and the streets are really, really horrible. I live and park my other car (SUV) in a garage and just getting out of the city, you need a Land Rover Discovery that is used in Zambia. Potholes everywhere, just awful...Plus I really would not feel comfortable driving her in NY. Its just a personal choice.

So this would stay in my garage in Central Florida until my JetBlue flight brings me to see her once a month and longer stretches in the summer and winter holidays.

That said:
Can anyone elaborate on any mechanical concerns/problems I would have by having her sit in the garage for 4-6 weeks at a time without driving?

Thanks and enjoy the long holiday everyone.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really appreciate the advice.

I am getting closer to the " you only live once motto"...

That said:
Can anyone elaborate on any mechanical concerns/problems I would have by having her sit in the garage for 4-6 weeks at a time without driving?

Thanks and enjoy the long holiday everyone.

some might you that the pressurized RMS seal may get some oil under it by sitting this long - causing a RMS leak, But so far I have had no issues on my 08.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Between work, family, and winters that last far too long, it's pretty clear that I'm not going to get to drive my car as much as I'd hoped or want. Regardless, every time I get time behind the wheel only serves to remind me that I made the right decision. It's raw, visceral, exhilarating and yet eminently usable unlike virtually every other option out there. Buy the car. You won't regret it no matter how much or little you get to drive it. And with the relentless pressures of big brother and the environment it may be the last of its kind.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have TWO GT3 RS and they stay garaged more than they are on the road....It is a treat everytime I get behind the wheel even if it is a short drive I enjoy owning them and the admiration does not stop while they are motionless......Being lucky enough to own one of these amazing machines is something that very few are able to experience in life so by all means the longer you wait the longer the regret will be.
No mechanical issues with storing them
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I typically put the car on the Porsche Charge-o-matic trickle charger to maintain the battery while the
car sits in the garage ....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I have had my eye on the new 997.2 GT3 for some time now. I am obsessed with this monster...What a beast. I love the way I feel in the car...Its just such a visceral feeling this car gives you!

...I do not want to buy used (want to own new from day one and prepared to pay for the price and 110% know the GT3 is the car I want. I would be keeping this car forever (8-10 years)
Get the car. It sounds like you know what you want...you understand what the car is all about.

I have a 20 year old 964 that I'm turning into my own version of a (retro) GT3 hot rod. Everyday I look forward to driving the car. Listening to it. Looking at it. It's twenty years old and it still an amazing car. All of these 911 are incredible. (I'm leaving for the beach this weekend...120 miles of 911 driving. It's a couple hours until I drive, but I'm already constantly thinking about the upcoming driving experience =:>)

One other important point. I lurked a long time until I felt comfortable buying my car. It's important to feel confident in your decision... but I will honestly say that it's being a life-changing experience. I have meet so many interesting people related to experiences with my car. From the gas station questions, cars & coffee, road trips, offers to visit Rennlisters from around the world...on and on.

The car will change you in other ways too. You might never have considered driving from NYC to Florida, but you might be tempted when road trip fever hits. Porsches do that to you!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 AM
NTY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No its not a waste IMO. I drive my 6gt3 about twice a month or <3000km a year and I have a 7.2GT3 coming in two months time. Both of them will probably see <3000km combined. I don't really enjoy using a gt3 as a daily runner because there are other more suitable cars for this purpose.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

You need to talk to superquant

Quick Reply: Need Advice Please: Buy now or wait? 997.2 GT3