Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:45 AM
Lonnie Mandel
5th Gear

Default brake noise

I have 400 miles on my 2010 GT3 and still have a slight brake noise at certain times. Do not have PCCB... Service says it will eventually go away?
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:06 PM
James A
Advanced

Well,,, if its brake squeal, be proud! And if it goes away buy pads that do squeal.
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:06 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

on another note, do brake pads on new cars need to be bedded in?
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mandel
I have 400 miles on my 2010 GT3 and still have a slight brake noise at certain times. Do not have PCCB... Service says it will eventually go away?
Service is almost certainly right. You can speed the process though.

Have you taken the car out somewhere and done a brake bed in operation?

Take car up to highway speed then perform a hard brake but do not bring the car to a full stop. Release the brake pedal and keep the car moving. Accelerate up to speed again quickly and repeat the hard brake action again.

You should feel the brakes bite a bit harder the 2nd time. Do it a 3rd time and that should do it.

Be sure you do not bring the car to a stop after any of the hard brake events. Keep the car moving. Try to regain speed as quickly as possible -- doing so safely and obeying the traffic laws --- so when you perform the 2nd and subsequent hard brakes the brakes are already a bit warm.

Afterwards, drive the car until the brakes have had a chance to cool right down.

If the noise is still present once the brakes are cold give the brake calipers a good washing with a DIY car wash wand. Do not jam the wand tip right up against the calipers and pistons but do direct the spray at the caliper and where the pistons are. You can use the wash setting.

Switch the wand over to rinse -- regular or no-spot -- and rinse the brake hardware throughly.

Afterwards drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them hot and dry them out completely.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
on another note, do brake pads on new cars need to be bedded in?
Not a bad idea. I do it when I buy a new car. Generally the brakes will bed in on their own but doing a bed in procedure means one has more control over when and to what extent the brakes bed in.

Doing this helps ensure the brakes have developed their full braking power and are in a condition to withstand just about anything I throw at them.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:16 PM
Lonnie Mandel
5th Gear

Thanks for your input I will try that once the rain stops...
Old 05-12-2010 | 12:26 PM
Clifton
Pro

Agreed with the above and your service dept. Mine sounded like a garbage truck under braking when new. At 2,6xx miles it seems to have quieted down substantially.

Washing the disks throughly always helped keep the noise down as well.

Quick Reply: brake noise