Why so many used GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
However, I do like the ability to dial back the harshness on the car, especially when the GF accompanies me on my blasts through the local hills. I was hoping that PASM would help with that, but it seems that the GT3 PASM on the "soft" setting may still be harsher than my Cabrio's "hard" setting.
It will be quite a bit stiffer than the "normal" setting on other models with PASM, but it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, everyone who has ridden with me has remarked that they were surprised how supple the GT3 ride was (in normal mode), considering the very high performance envelope of this car. The "sport" setting is a different story and usable only on very smooth surfaces.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, I do like the ability to dial back the harshness on the car, especially when the GF accompanies me on my blasts through the local hills. I was hoping that PASM would help with that, but it seems that the GT3 PASM on the "soft" setting may still be harsher than my Cabrio's "hard" setting.
Just for reference... I was talking with the tech at my dealer a couple weeks ago. He mentioned that one thing Porsche did to the 997.2 GT3 was to improving the riding comfort without sacrificing the handling performance (something about larger springs?)

From my experience, the Normal PASM setting in my 997.2 GT3 is about the middle between the Sport and Normal PASM settings in my 997.1 C2S.

Regards,
Old 05-15-2010, 12:01 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful, helpful answers.
On the strength of this, I have decided to become a full Rennlist member.

I have some thinking and test driving to do once I get back in town (though the Ferrari dealer across the street from my hotel in Shanghai is NOT helping...)

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful, helpful answers.
On the strength of this, I have decided to become a full Rennlist member.

I have some thinking and test driving to do once I get back in town (though the Ferrari dealer across the street from my hotel in Shanghai is NOT helping...)

Thanks again!
Good on yer.

The Boxster Spyder is an interesting choice w PSE. I was between a GT3 and 997.2S. Went with the C2S as I am almost 100% street. Have SPASM and its fine in normal - very sporty and a tad harsh in sport. The GT3 is arguably the better car but you really need the track to exploit it to its fullest and I preferred the C2S for every day driving in LA. All are great and only you will KNOW whats right for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Not sure if that's the best car for him in this situation....but driving these cars sure is a blast!
could you elaborate on this please?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
could you elaborate on this please?
When he said this:

"However, I do like the ability to dial back the harshness on the car, especially when the GF accompanies me on my blasts through the local hills. I was hoping that PASM would help with that, but it seems that the GT3 PASM on the "soft" setting may still be harsher than my Cabrio's "hard" setting."

996 GT3 aren't that cushy. 997 GT3 is well known for having a more comfortable ride on the street in normal mode to make the GF happy. A happy wife (or GF) makes a happy life.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
When he said this:

"However, I do like the ability to dial back the harshness on the car, especially when the GF accompanies me on my blasts through the local hills. I was hoping that PASM would help with that, but it seems that the GT3 PASM on the "soft" setting may still be harsher than my Cabrio's "hard" setting."

996 GT3 aren't that cushy. 997 GT3 is well known for having a more comfortable ride on the street in normal mode to make the GF happy. A happy wife (or GF) makes a happy life.
i know the quote is not allan's.
but with all due respect, i dont take my wife or GF or mistress in my GT3's. it's a pure waste of passenger seat (even though wife pays for all my cars). when ppl tell me my stock GT3 is too loud, ****ty stereo or such, i usually just push the "eject" button and out they go. since there is no sunroof, their heads smash into the roof skin and die on impact (remember top gun, how goose died?)....

well seriously, since there is no "eject" button option in NA, i took out the passenger seat. i put it in only to haul my then 4 yo daughter. all she said was go faster. whow. oooh... mama car can't do that.... daddy, there's a cop behind you with lights on.....

oh women you should carry in GT3...
once i was driving daughter to preschool.
a very slow car in front.
i mumbled... " this car is very slow in front of us.... we might be late"
daughter said matter of factly, " just hit him and push it faster, daddy".
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Winkingchef,

I've read the various posts and can speak with some authority on the topic because I have a 2,000 mile '07 Blk/Blk PCCB GT3 I need to find a home for. I'm selling because if I am going to own a sharp tool, I want the sharpest one available...and that would be the .2 RS. I also think, despite great value in the $80s range, the 998s will cause yet another click on the depreciation wheel to take effect. Both the "latest and greatest" styling phenomenon and increased new gen performance are inevitable contributors to eventual yesterday's news status for the .1 GT3. Frankly, I have been wavering altogether on the .2 RS due to the above and because the cars are less than pleasant for anything like daily driving. I own two race cars that have a performance envelope well in excess of the RS and that fills my hard core needs.

My advice is that unless you will drive the car hard and/or track it occasionally , that you buy something else. The limits are very high for street driving, rain driving on the OEM Michelins is diabolical and the GT3 is not well set up for bumpy road surfaces at any speed. However, the engine is fabulous, handling exceptional, brakes unsurpassed.... as is the rest of the package. It is the only car in the world IMO that you can drive from the office to the track without a second thought. It comes down to what you are going to do with the car..and only you can answer that.

If you want to take the GT3 route, let me know. Mine is sitting here underutilized and unadvertised.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i know the quote is not allan's.
but with all due respect, i dont take my wife or GF or mistress in my GT3's. it's a pure waste of passenger seat....
Same here. My wife gets car sick almost immediately in my GT3. When we go cruising it's in the SLK32 AMG. Right tool for the job. That's "her" car.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Damn - I feel like I almost want to join the club. I just got a ride in a 650hp 996 TT this weekend. WOW. That car makes GT3 feel so slow.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
The Boxster Spyder is an interesting choice w PSE. I was between a GT3 and 997.2S. Went with the C2S as I am almost 100% street. Have SPASM and its fine in normal - very sporty and a tad harsh in sport. The GT3 is arguably the better car but you really need the track to exploit it to its fullest and I preferred the C2S for every day driving in LA.
I was in the same situation. Wanted a GT3 for the motor and track capability, but the extroverted bodywork and low front lip are a bit much for me around LA. And no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to free up more than 3-4 weekends per year for the track. So I was going to get a C2S w/SPASM.

Then the Spyder came along. Great combo of daily usability (at least for my purposes) and phenomenal handling, its lightness means it is no slouch in a straight line, and the styling is unique without being obnoxious.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
vysp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polesitter
Winkingchef,

I've read the various posts and can speak with some authority on the topic because I have a 2,000 mile '07 Blk/Blk PCCB GT3 I need to find a home for. I'm selling because if I am going to own a sharp tool, I want the sharpest one available...and that would be the .2 RS. I also think, despite great value in the $80s range, the 998s will cause yet another click on the depreciation wheel to take effect. Both the "latest and greatest" styling phenomenon and increased new gen performance are inevitable contributors to eventual yesterday's news status for the .1 GT3. Frankly, I have been wavering altogether on the .2 RS due to the above and because the cars are less than pleasant for anything like daily driving. I own two race cars that have a performance envelope well in excess of the RS and that fills my hard core needs.

My advice is that unless you will drive the car hard and/or track it occasionally , that you buy something else. The limits are very high for street driving, rain driving on the OEM Michelins is diabolical and the GT3 is not well set up for bumpy road surfaces at any speed. However, the engine is fabulous, handling exceptional, brakes unsurpassed.... as is the rest of the package. It is the only car in the world IMO that you can drive from the office to the track without a second thought. It comes down to what you are going to do with the car..and only you can answer that.

If you want to take the GT3 route, let me know. Mine is sitting here underutilized and unadvertised.
Polesitter,

Interested in your 07 PCCB Black GT3. Give me a shout at bbyu@pplweb.com. Let's talk.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
but with all due respect, i dont take my wife or GF or mistress in my GT3's. it's a pure waste of passenger seat (even though wife pays for all my cars).
Lucky man......

Quick Reply: Why so many used GT3's?