Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stevens Creek has 2x 2011 RS allocations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, dealers load up RSs, but they manage to sell every one. I'd blame the buyers...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
TonnyG
AutoX

There is just to many people with to much money for the dealers not to load up the cars , it is also Porsches fault they just shouldn't offer anything but PCCB and a couple of other things as options on the RS, Every 2010 GT3 i have seen for sale with a few miles on them (anything from 75-1000) has been cars with a ton of options, $30K in options aren't to unusual I'm looking at a pretty much base car even though I'm not buying it to track it. I'm buying it to drive it.

Tonny
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by TonnyG
There is just to many people with to much money for the dealers not to load up the cars , it is also Porsches fault they just shouldn't offer anything but PCCB and a couple of other things as options on the RS, Every 2010 GT3 i have seen for sale with a few miles on them (anything from 75-1000) has been cars with a ton of options, $30K in options aren't to unusual I'm looking at a pretty much base car even though I'm not buying it to track it. I'm buying it to drive it.

Tonny
True. However, the RS should be seen as a track car and should never have the 'executive express' doodads. It just does not fit. Posing with an RS is distasteful.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Those two cars were pretty clearly "ordered" for profit, not by real owners or drivers. PCNA continues to ignore these scum bag dealers. "Oh, we're selling at MSRP ... plus $32K in options, that is ..."

Same old unscrupulous "burn in hell" petty thieving.
These are not scum bag dealers, they are astute business owners maximizing their profit, which is exactly what they should do. Does not get you or I the car we want, but they invested big $ to have a dealership and need a return, when they get something they can mark up they should. There are plenty of things they have to take that I am sure they are lucky to break even on, so they need to get it while they can.

The car business is a commodity business, not a relationship business. That does not mean there are not certain dealers who treat their customers well and take care of them and let them order the cars they want. But those customers have earned their position by repeat business and quality referrals. A quality referral is a buyer who is not an @$$hole who expect to get a great deal on a limited production item, but someone who is willing to pay fair value for what they receive. The market determines fair value, not Porsche, not the dealer and if you don't like the price or what they ordered don't buy!

Until you find a relationship dealer and establish a relationship you can pay up to get what you want, take what you can get at market or simply sit on the sidelines. If you are on the sidelines that is your choice, not a result of the dealer network.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
These are not scum bag dealers, they are astute business owners maximizing their profit, which is exactly what they should do. Does not get you or I the car we want, but they invested big $ to have a dealership and need a return, when they get something they can mark up they should. There are plenty of things they have to take that I am sure they are lucky to break even on, so they need to get it while they can.

The car business is a commodity business, not a relationship business. That does not mean there are not certain dealers who treat their customers well and take care of them and let them order the cars they want. But those customers have earned their position by repeat business and quality referrals. A quality referral is a buyer who is not an @$$hole who expect to get a great deal on a limited production item, but someone who is willing to pay fair value for what they receive. The market determines fair value, not Porsche, not the dealer and if you don't like the price or what they ordered don't buy!

Until you find a relationship dealer and establish a relationship you can pay up to get what you want, take what you can get at market or simply sit on the sidelines. If you are on the sidelines that is your choice, not a result of the dealer network.
You've jumbled together a couple of interesting, but irrelevant assertions on how the world should turn.

If these dealers are so astute, why do they have unsold product? Why a lack of loyal customers? The astute dealer I work with has every premium car sold to return customers -- customers wanting to take a car which, after all, the RS is basically a reward to good customers, not a cash cow for short-sighted dealers trying to gouge the next sucker.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
I called a local dealer today, after I heard they were getting a RS in (I just wanted to look at it).
The sales mgr. cut me off (on the phone) and said "if you are looking for a track car, this ain't it...it has Nav, etc."
I couldn't believe he was trying NOT to sell me the car before I could get into the call.
If I owned the place, he would not come close to my clients!

p.s. ANOTHER LOADED RS on the way!
GTEE I think he was just letting you know, well obviously!!!

To me from how it sounds is the manager was helping you out. Sometimes, although not all the time, the managers or who ever else specs these cars are being forced from higher up to put a lot of options on them to make more money, more margin. After all the dealers are open to make as much money as possible!

So as the manager who must spec the build, they have to option the car with $X amount of goodies for more profit. Because they won't be making much money from an RS with no options except Li Ion battery and radio delete!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

HMMMMM porsche lost how many billions the past few years from astute business practice???
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
micahbones
Racer

For those who may be interested in an RS with few options, here's a gray/red one with lightweight headlights, non-PCCB brakes, and no leather or nav.

(could be a repost, but thought it might be worth mentioning on this thread)
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

nice car, i like it. but i dont like to be reamed with 18,000+ pieces of silver dollars
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i would used to disagree. but now i am wiser ;-)
car is not a relationship business, NO MATTER waht they tell you, what discount you get, blah blah... i will have them bid for me next round.

and in this country, 99.99% of the businessmen simply do not understand what "relationship business" means. racial profling of course. i am guilty.

but back to topic.
if i must have the car. i dont mind if i get hit with 10k premium for a 135k RS. but if you hit me with 10k on a 160k RS, i be upset.

however, many of today's p car buyers are brand chasers. they really dont know what they bought (RL is not the typical buying pool) and to a large extent, if a car cost more,t hen it must be better. so.... let's search for the $250k GT3 RS. i want a lift kit for the rear too, and double sport chrono with full leather roof liner and wool carpet ;-)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You've jumbled together a couple of interesting, but irrelevant assertions on how the world should turn.

If these dealers are so astute, why do they have unsold product? Why a lack of loyal customers? The astute dealer I work with has every premium car sold to return customers -- customers wanting to take a car which, after all, the RS is basically a reward to good customers, not a cash cow for short-sighted dealers trying to gouge the next sucker.
Since the each dealer has invested their $ (or someone who entrusted them with theirs) they get to choose how to run the business. We agree that the long term relationship dealers will do best in the long run. But not every dealer agrees with that business model, but its theirs so they get to choose how to run it.

I don't want a loaded RS, in fact like most here I want it exactly how I want it. But I respect the fact (I did not say I like it) that they only get so many of the cars we want and so we won't get one every time even with a good relationship. Also a good relationship can end with a GM change, that has happened to me before and then you start again with a new store.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
HMMMMM porsche lost how many billions the past few years from astute business practice???
Well Porsche's former CEO and CFO had quite a run while the rest of the industry was in the tank or going broke, unfortunately most of their profits were from currency hedging, not car sales. They bet the farm on buying VW and fell short, now the farm is VW's. Debt will do that to you!

As far as dealers go it is amazing more have not gone by the wayside in this market, given how they have treated their customers in the great run up. But they seem to have staying power in spite of themselves.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
let's search for the $250k GT3 RS. i want a lift kit for the rear too, and double sport chrono with full leather roof liner and wool carpet ;-)
Dude! That would so cool! Rear lift, 12" that you could use switch to bump up/down on the straights to "shake your a s s" to those following, and not two but THREE Sport Chrono warts on the dash. Each in different face color! For Split Timing! I would pay $250k for this car!

You are a marketing genius!

Since the each dealer has invested their $ (or someone who entrusted them with theirs) they get to choose how to run the business. We agree that the long term relationship dealers will do best in the long run. But not every dealer agrees with that business model, but its theirs so they get to choose how to run it.

I don't want a loaded RS, in fact like most here I want it exactly how I want it. But I respect the fact (I did not say I like it) that they only get so many of the cars we want and so we won't get one every time even with a good relationship. Also a good relationship can end with a GM change, that has happened to me before and then you start again with a new store.
As a Porsche addict and a business owner I am deeply conflicted by your posts I hate the douchebaggery of some dealers, but appreciate the business case for doing it (pumped up options).

As far as dealers go it is amazing more have not gone by the wayside in this market, given how they have treated their customers in the great run up. But they seem to have staying power in spite of themselves.
Agreed, but me thinks the fattest lady hath not sung yet...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not a philosophical debate or a small business management forum -- gouging customers is a scum-bag act. Let's not hide unscrupulous bottom feeders behind a "business model."

Quick Reply: Stevens Creek has 2x 2011 RS allocations...