Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 Service Problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocci
Regarding the GT3, was that in Colorado, and if so, which dealership?
Yes, Colorado. I'm keeping the dealer info private for now. I'm in the process of buying another car today or Monday. I don't want anything to interfere with negotiating a price.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

65 miles to diagnose that problem seems fine. Also, Champion has a good reputation in Florida as a Porsche dealer.

That was not an easy fix to find, and the way they troubleshooted the problem is impressive (quite smart).

As hard as a GT3 can be driven on public streets, the performance limits of the car are so high that the only way to abuse it in public streets is running the risk of losing your driving privileges for life. The skills needed to achieve those levels are not in the average Porsche technician, and even if you're lucky enough to have a Patrick Long like technician driving for 65 miles on public streets, that's nothing compared to what the car can tolerate at a racetrack, at higher speeds, with higher grip from race tires, and for longer.

GT3 are probably the strongest built road cars, and the most reliable road car for track use. It is a GT3 Cup with a stronger transmission, a crappy LSD, and lots of comfort amenities.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-19-2022)
Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 AM
josephla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the miles are a concern perhaps you should seek help from others that share your worries. I think they call themselves the Ferrari Owners Club.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josephla
If the miles are a concern perhaps you should seek help from others that share your worries. I think they call themselves the Ferrari Owners Club.
HAH!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7Ay...eature=related

Sorry couldn't help myself. I don't trust dealerships, valet parking and parking attendants...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Last week I got a "check engine light...visit workshop" message. Light stayed on and didn't flash. Drove the car home 40 miles or so-----turned the car on and off a couple of times, and the light and the message stayed on.

Next day was going to go to the dealer....but driving about 10 miles the light went out. But came back the next day.

Left the car at the dealer. Talked to service and they asked me if I chipped or flashed the car and I said NOWAY ! (they said they didn't want me to lose anything).....I think they wanted to know if I did anything and I DIDN'T.

Service Invoice states (1327 miles in......BUT 1392 when I picked it up !!)

Fault P0019 crank shaft position related & P0300. P0304 & P0305 misfire faults. VAL & WRK LOG created sent. Tester #5. DME FC 0019 Crksht Pos related Bnk2 implausible.
P0300 Random Misfire. P0304 CYL 4 misfire detected. PO305 CYL 5 misfire detect. P0306 Cyl 6 misfire detected.

Proceed to erase fault memory. Drove test vehicle. Fault in DMEome back as 0019 crnkshft pos related to camshaft. BNK2 outlet camshaft.
Proceed to swap outlet camshaft selenoid valve BNK1- to- BNK2 for diagnosis purpose and possible poor connection.
Drove test vehicle---scan fault no longer present. Recheck doing active drive link. Fault no longer present. Test drove 3rd attempt, scan for fault in DME. No fault present Vehicle operates as per mfg specs at this time.

So they cleaned up some connections and resecured everthing or something like that.

Also on invoice under comments:
1ST RUN 1336 MLS
2ND RUN 1349 MLS
3RD RUN 1364 MLS
---------------------------------------
When I expressed my shock of so many miles on the car, I was told, "The shop foreman did the repair, and they don't do it to joy ride.....they needed to do it to diagnose...and repair the problem.

They said the car should be fine. Champion Porsche....Pompano FL
--------------------------------------------------
They also made sure the temperture sensor on the front bumper didn't touch the radiator (getting reading like 110 degrees ambient when it's like only 80)

Also, I didn't say anything, but my piece of junk smasung phone wasn't able to connect with the bluetooth before, but tried it again and was successful.

Opinions about the above.

Thanks

David

PS...car seems to work fine......other than them cleaning the car back up, and putting tire shire on the outside of the tire (grrrr !)

PSS...oh yeah the CEL origanially came on at a local autox like activity....driver improvement
As others have said and I have to agree the number of miles (65) put on the car given the error codes (misfires) not that bad, less than this, nothing to be alarmed about.

When the error codes are cleared all readiness monitors are set to incomplete. The car then needs to be driven some miles to give the engine controller a chance to do whatever it needs to set the readiness monitors to complete or leave them incomplete and set an error code.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tech didn't have a laptop connected to the engine OBD connector helping him drive the car in such a way as to speed up the readiness monitor completion. (Although I bet after a few of these drives the tech generally has the type of driving necessary down pat.)

However, I think it would have been nice of the service manager to call you and explain that the car needs to be driven and to ask your permission.

(This was done by the service manager when I had my Boxster in for an AOS R&R. The check engine light was coming on even after the repair the service manager called me to ask if it ok to let him drive the car for maybe 30 miles or so to see if an extended drive at highway speeds would burn the oil out of the engine/exhaust system. I gave my permission after he assured me he would be the only person driving the car and he would not be thrashing the car.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 Service Problem.....