Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Driving/Track Notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 AM
pgt3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete I was there yesturday and I liked the car. My freinds liked it too and said it was loud. I heard that the driver of the S2000 was sent to the hospital to be checked out because he said he was felling dizzy. Thats all I know about him.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i drove 996gt3 after riding your car.
2010 RS is far more stable.
you gone crazy at cork screw?
i got two off at 8A end of cork screw.... whew...
i never go off in my own cars, it's always someone else's car. must be poor set up hahahaha
The '10 RS "far more stable" than the '04 GT3 ... that was just the pure talent of the driver ... : )
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I hear you now ;-)

You are right about the kind of noise.

Just drove 4 hours straight. The car is very loud, much louder than my GT3 with sharky.
The Sharky exhaust is a bit louder, but not much, bet the RS lets in all the other noise from the tires, engine and maybe even wind a lot more. I could swear the rear window was cracked open an inch.

Still, with the plug plugged in and sport mode off you can keep it livable quiet if you stay below 4K RPM..
Ear plugs is the only way to survive.

I think it's a combination of engine noise, induction and exhaust.

At 72 mph (slow enough to pass a speed trap in a 65 area) the cabin noise is absurd. But, fine by me, the car is not meant for touring.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Not a mid-life crisis.... a life long obsession....
GT3 RS....If you can....then you must.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Agreed. After a day at Laguna with -2.0 in front and stock rear, I think the car needs better front tires and tire pressures, not camber. I'll keep tinkering, but I think this 911 is an entirely new game, not just an incremental adaptation of previous 911 metrics for suspension and tires.
+1 Below is a cut&paste of a post I did back in October. I think it's easy to miss just how much this version changed.

"My sense is that most reviews of the 10 GT3 understate the changes to the suspension. One test that contained a more thorough detail of changes was published in 911 & Porsche World magazine. If you search online you'll find part of the article but not the full suspension change detail covered in the magazine itself. The comments on suspension changes came from Karsten Schebstad, who works with (for?) Preuninger and is in charge of Development of Performance GT Derivatives. I don't have a scanner to post the whole article but an abbreviated summary of changes noted includes:

Altered pitch, lowering the front 5mm and raising the rear 4mm.
Raised outer bushing and track rod end locations on front axle 10mm (in line with GT2)
Reduced agility of front axle (considered too excessive) by lowering front roll center from 94mm to 55mm and raised the rear from 24mm to 30mm.
Overall roll stiffness unchanged but ratio front to rear changed significantly (from 49/51 to 43/57) by making front anti-roll bar 30% softer and rear 30% stiffer.
Front toe-in reduced from six minutes to zero.
Negative camber slightly increased at front and slightly reduced at rear, by 10mins in both cases, making it minus one degree, 30mins all around.
Damping characteristics changed to increase initial response.
Rear damper bushings stiffer.
Stiffer springs.

Again most reviews only picked up on the anti-roll bar and spring rate change. I can't speak to the validity of the everything listed above but the source seems credible."
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 770 Posts

Thanks, good stuff.
I certainly feels different, even on the road, but not stiffer at all, it feels softer to me.

When I corner balance it, I think I will just lower it overall, but keeping the factory pitch and allignment and see how the tires wear first, and mess with sway bars only.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Pete:

Very nice meeting you at the track yesterday. I was the one who had the white Cayman S. I tried coming back for a demo of the sport buckets but either you moved or were on track every time I looked for you.

After seeing the car in person, I can say it is absolutely beautiful in person. I love the color and the graphics on the new car. Now I just have to save for a couple more years. Enjoy the hell out of your car. Buttonwillow is a great start.
Hi Chris! Nice to meet you as well, sorry we could not reconnect. The Cayman is a very fine car, hopefully you can have a garage with both! See you at the next track!

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
GT3 RS....If you can....then you must.
This is a true statement...haha

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Ear plugs is the only way to survive.

I think it's a combination of engine noise, induction and exhaust.

At 72 mph (slow enough to pass a speed trap in a 65 area) the cabin noise is absurd. But, fine by me, the car is not meant for touring.
If the road surface is anything but super smooth, than that noise is overwhelming and is louder than anything.

Originally Posted by pgt3
Pete I was there yesturday and I liked the car. My freinds liked it too and said it was loud. I heard that the driver of the S2000 was sent to the hospital to be checked out because he said he was felling dizzy. Thats all I know about him.
Hi PGT3- Thanks for the kind comments! The S2000 instructor wound up with a cracked vertabrae. Ugh. I hate to see/hear this kind of stuff. Come say hi at the next track!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks, good stuff.
I certainly feels different, even on the road, but not stiffer at all, it feels softer to me.
It was quite comfy to me on the long trip. Not jarring or harsh at all. Just rock solid.

Quick Reply: RS Driving/Track Notes