Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First Track Days in GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Stentor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Track Days in GT3

Couple questions with my first DE in the 2010 GT3 coming up at Road America in a few weeks:

What tire pressures should I run?

After doing a couple events at the same track with the BMW club in my M3, what should I expect moving into the lighter/faster (along with a lot of other differences) GT3? Porsche club run events much differently?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- stock OE tires (hot temps, front 33/34, rears 37/38)
- depending on length of sessions / your speed / the temperature, something like the following rule of thumb works for cold temps:

- 20 minute session, 8/10ths DE pace, 60 degrees = tires will increase by 6psi cold to hot
- 30+ minute session, 9.5/10ths DE pace, 90 degrees = tires will go up by 12psi cold to hot
- outside tires (driver's side for clockwise tracks) usually increase 1-2psi more than inside tires

- in the slow speed corners with lots of steering angle (5,6,8,11) this is where gt3s can rotate if you are too abrupt with the throttle (just be ready with your hands)

- the car is easy to drive fast, just be smooth and avoid abrupt inputs / transitions on/off both pedals

- if you have ceramics on the car and it hasn't been tracked before, one or both of the following may occur:
1) you will likely get a gas release from your new pads (it goes away after 1 to 2 corners) while it is happening, it will feel like you are pushing against a rubber ball while braking and the car will only slow 50% (just be cautious and watch for this - it will happen)
2) the 1st / 2nd day ceramic rotors hit track temps, the bite point will fall about an inch - h/t will now be easy - when this is actually happening you may think you boiled your fluid (you didn't) - your ceramics are now scrubbed and ready for easy h/t

- i will mention what most others will likely point out, these cars are very sensitive to alignments - most (me included) would suggest you bring it in and get it properly aligned before your event (if you haven't already)
- you have tracked before but i do not know your intended use of the car or your experience level but a reasonable alignment would for a duo street / DE setup would be:

front camber -2.2 with zero toe (pre-order two 7mm shims from the dealer (1 for each side))
rear camber -2.0 with 2mm toe-in per side
Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- stock OE tires (hot temps, front 33/34, rears 37/38)
- depending on length of sessions / your speed / the temperature, something like the following rule of thumb works for cold temps:

- 20 minute session, 8/10ths DE pace, 60 degrees = tires will increase by 6psi cold to hot
- 30+ minute session, 9.5/10ths DE pace, 90 degrees = tires will go up by 12psi cold to hot
- outside tires (driver's side for clockwise tracks) usually increase 1-2psi more than inside tires

- in the slow speed corners with lots of steering angle (5,6,8,11) this is where gt3s can rotate if you are too abrupt with the throttle (just be ready with your hands)

- the car is easy to drive fast, just be smooth and avoid abrupt inputs / transitions on/off both pedals

- if you have ceramics on the car and it hasn't been tracked before, one or both of the following may occur:
1) you will likely get a gas release from your new pads (it goes away after 1 to 2 corners) while it is happening, it will feel like you are pushing against a rubber ball while braking and the car will only slow 50% (just be cautious and watch for this - it will happen)
2) the 1st / 2nd day ceramic rotors hit track temps, the bite point will fall about an inch - h/t will now be easy - when this is actually happening you may think you boiled your fluid (you didn't) - your ceramics are now scrubbed and ready for easy h/t

- i will mention what most others will likely point out, these cars are very sensitive to alignments - most (me included) would suggest you bring it in and get it properly aligned before your event (if you haven't already)
- you have tracked before but i do not know your intended use of the car or your experience level but a reasonable alignment would for a duo street / DE setup would be:

front camber -2.2 with zero toe (pre-order two 7mm shims from the dealer (1 for each side))
rear camber -2.0 with 2mm toe-in per side
I love the in depth write up and super RL team player. Good people here.

Quick Reply: First Track Days in GT3