Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

'10 RS Rollbar/Harness vs '07 GT3 Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default '10 RS Rollbar/Harness vs '07 GT3 Install

So I've gotten a quite few PMs on what roll bar setup and how it installed/looked. So here's some info/pictures. Basically I just took all the parts that were in my '07 GT3 and fit them in the RS. Took about 4hrs to do. Here's what was installed

Harnesses
Schroth harnesses. Make sure to get the GT3 seat fitment harnesses. See Porsche GT3 belts at the bottom of the page. These allow you to install without getting extra BK mounting bits and are a cleaner install. Only downside is they do not have quick release to remove the belts for street driving: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...profi/profi-II

Sub Mount Bars
BK sub bars: R-9032, R-9034: http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/sear...RSCHE-997-GT23

Fire Extinguisher Mount
BK FE Mount: R-2032: http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/sear...UB-STRAP-MOUNT

Fire Extinguisher
Safecraft FE. Very Clean look/fit and quick release: http://www.lpiracing.com/Safecraft-F...-116p24294.htm

FE Quick Release Bracket
Quick release bracket for FE which works with BK Bracket: http://www.lpiracing.com/Safecraft-B...-116p24298.htm

The install of the to roll bar and harnesses is a breeze compared to installing in earlier GT3s. Porsche actually made improvements base on PITA issue. Nicest thing is seat belts attach to side of seat, but they left original mount point and bolt for roll bar install. So no struggling aligning the bolts thru the seat belt and roll bar at the same time and not stripping the mounting holes (common install issue). With the DAS Sport bar they make it even easier. Unlike the GMGs or Tequipment, they have a separate mounting plate which the roll bar bolts to. So put the plate in using old seat belt mounting point, then install bar and attach to mounting plate. It's a lot easier then man handling the roll bar and trying to get the bolts to line up. That being said, the down side of the DAS Sport is the rear carpet where the shock mount are must be removed because of the low cross bar. The GMG, RSS, and Tequipment it does not. See Savyboys post on his GMG install for difference. Other bars have a more refined look vs the raw look of the DAS Sport. Also the bar is very tight against the upper stock seat belt mounting point. GMG bar offsets the bar so there is no interference. The seats appear to go almost all the way back with the bar (maybe cut short by 1/2"). I'm 6" and still plenty of room for seat to move further back.

Harness Bars are night and day to install compared to the old 996 Euro seats. The old seats you had to remove the buckets and the rail mount bolts where a semi PITA with sub bars. The new seats are much easier. On passenger seat only on bolt on each side with easy access and drivers 2 bolts on each side with easy access. Also, a lot of times with the old 996 seats you put everything together went to mount the seat in the car, only to find the sub bar had split the rails to far and the holes wouldn't line up. You would have to pull the seat, adjust the bar and try again. On these seats the bolts are easily accessible from above , so it the rails don't line up, you can loosen the bolt, adjust the rail, mount the seat, then tighten the rail bolt. The BKs work perfect and come with an airbag? sensor relocation piece.

Don't like the Fire extinguisher on the driver side, but only choice because of the said airbag stuff on the passenger side. Adjusting seat position with FE in place works, but not well, because the FE gets in the way of the seat adjustment handle. You can do it, but when you pull the handle, you have to pull hard enough so it lifts the FE out of the way. However his is better than the 996 Euros, where even if you pulled hard on the handle, it didn't release the seat enough move it. You had to remove the FE (quick release) to move the seat.

Chasecam PDR100 and G2X I mount using velcro on the bottom of them, then bought extra floor mat mounting pads which I screw into the rear carpet. Nice and simple, easily removable, and no permanent holes in the car made.

Didn't take pics during install, but here are some of it complete, with closeups of issues talked about above.
Attached Images      
Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Attached Images      
Old 03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Ryan for the info.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default '10 GT3 Roll Bar / Harness Install

Ryan,

Thanks for the write up and photos - very helpful. I have ordered the GMG RSR bar, but have yet to order the sub bars or extinguisher mount. Would the the BK extinguiser mounting plate clear the seat adjustment lever if the mounting plate had an offset bend to position the extinguisher higher up off the floor?

Are you in DC area?

Thad
Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we pretty much have similar setup. i concur with what's mention about DAS bar install on the gt3. what i did with the rear shelf carpet is trimmed down the foam padding and was able to put squeeze the carpet back in between the bar and the shelf. as for FE, i use sharkwerks FE mount in combo with oem sub bar and have no issues with seat adjustment handle. my FE is facing opposite as yours. the cylinder is facing the door side.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjsmaryland
Ryan,

Thanks for the write up and photos - very helpful. I have ordered the GMG RSR bar, but have yet to order the sub bars or extinguisher mount. Would the the BK extinguiser mounting plate clear the seat adjustment lever if the mounting plate had an offset bend to position the extinguisher higher up off the floor?

Are you in DC area?

Thad
Not sure it would bend easy. Yes I'm in Mclean VA

Originally Posted by speedoflight
we pretty much have similar setup. i concur with what's mention about DAS bar install on the gt3. what i did with the rear shelf carpet is trimmed down the foam padding and was able to put squeeze the carpet back in between the bar and the shelf. as for FE, i use sharkwerks FE mount in combo with oem sub bar and have no issues with seat adjustment handle. my FE is facing opposite as yours. the cylinder is facing the door side.
Can you post a pic or two of the carpet underneath the crossbar?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the sub bars are different with the sport buckets versus the previous Euro GT3 seats. There are 2 options: to modify (cut and drill) Euro GT3 sub bars to fit or buy the BKs. I went with the BKs. Mine was the 5th car my tech installed a rollbar and harnesses with sport buckets. I was the first to buy the BK brackets. He said it was easier to use the BK brackets. The rollbar (Techequipe stainless) bolted in exactly like it did in my previous 996 Carrera that it was pulled out of.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 AM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag

Can you post a pic or two of the carpet underneath the crossbar?

here you go.
Attached Images      
Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Thanks for posting!
I hope to post install pictures of my OEM RS bar next week (white), welding plates and all..

I will see my car first time this Saturday to test sit the seat (Moved lower and backwards) maybe C2 design will have started the roll bar install by then..

I ordered red Schroth belts, but I have no idea what kind of fire extinguisher, bracket or sub mount bar I bought....
Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

I moved the fire extinguisher slightly to the left (lower on the bottle) in the mount and it allows clearance of the seat adjustment lever with no problems. You do have to be carefull getting in and out to avoid the billet head on the extinguisher.

I also think that the preferred routing for the stock belt is outside of the upper seat cut out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1455666...14889/sizes/l/

Last edited by got2go; 03-30-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, this is OT, but I thought the order guide says that the sotck seats have "RS 3.8" embroidered in red? I'm just specing my car and noticed that in the standard equipment section of the order guide.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Misinformation.

Quick Reply: '10 RS Rollbar/Harness vs '07 GT3 Install