ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

...am now.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

If anyone wants to start the morning with the greatest cup of espresso in LA, I'll be at Cafe Luxxe on Montana at 830 on my way to Malibu. Ok...it's not even remotely on my way...just an excuse to drive more...get jacked up on coffee.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03-27-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: telling the truth
Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

You and Joe are going to get along just fine.

I am looking at Shuey to get a podium this time. Petronas needs a win! We are probably going to get some flaming since we are staying up watching a race where there are no Porsches.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Forgot to post up yesterday. Thanks for showing up guys, I had a really great time. Good people; great cars and a really fun drive. Couldn't ask for much more on a Saturday morning. The only bad part is that I think I just accelerated my GT3 buying plan by 6mo to a year
Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Forgot to post up yesterday. Thanks for showing up guys, I had a really great time. Good people; great cars and a really fun drive. Couldn't ask for much more on a Saturday morning. The only bad part is that I think I just accelerated my GT3 buying plan by 6mo to a year
I could not agree more Chris.

"The only bad part is that I think I just accelerated my GT3 buying plan by 6mo to a year " How did you come to this decision?

Joe

Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I just love them. It's a car I've lusted after for years. I thought seriously about both the 996/997 GT3's when I bought the Cayman. At the time, The 997's were just a little out of my price range and very few 996's could be found still in warranty. I love the Cayman but I lust after the GT3. Hanging around them just reminded me how much I still want one
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

Fun, fun, fun. I am thinking maybe we follow Terry's suggestion to have the next meeting and drive on a Sunday. I know the drive north is a bit further but there is definitely less police activity and less traffic. I am game for a highway 33 run up to Fraizer Park for breakfast sometime.

Warranty on a 996 GT3 holding you back? Bulletproof I say. The only issues that I have ever heard of were emissions related and emissions is covered for at least five years, maybe ten?

Just get one, There is a clean one in Camarillo I can hook you up with. 9500 miles, 2004, asking $60K
Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 AM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that looks like a great time. Would love to see some pics from up in the hills. Please add me to the list of canyon enthusiasts. I've been trying to get a steady group of responsible drivers together for some time, and would love to meet some new people as well.

Hwy 33 is a long-time favorite and I usually make the complete loop but add Lockwood Valley to the route for some high speed action. LateralG.org is a great source for road info, as is pashnit.

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I was thinking about trying to organize a 33 run sometime maybe this or next weekend. Any interest?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 AM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Next weekend is better for me (May 1st/2nd).

I might be able to bring along a GoPro or two as well.

Last edited by INCONEL; 04-21-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
gt2nxt
Intermediate

first of all, let me start by saying that i intend absolutely no disrespect by my question, as i am just trying to understand the motivation of gathering a group of cars to drive through the canyons. i would think that this attracts the attention of the highway patrol much quicker and more obviously than a quick run through the canyons on your own, and driving in a group can only be more dangerous (with egos involved and "racing", even though there is not supposed to be...). again, no disrespect... just asking what it is that motivates these group drives. i am a local, so i see many different groups meeting from every different car groups/clubs, and have never understood the attraction. for me, the less traffic the better...why bring your own traffic jam with you? annnd, why bring your own billboard sign to the local sherriff's department which brings their awareness of your "driving" into full and obvious view?? (of course, you are all driving at, or below the speed limit at all times, as am I).
thanks for the insight. i hope to hear some positive feedback so maybe i can understand and join you crazy nuts too! ha ha.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gt2nxt
first of all, let me start by saying that i intend absolutely no disrespect by my question, as i am just trying to understand the motivation of gathering a group of cars to drive through the canyons. i would think that this attracts the attention of the highway patrol much quicker and more obviously than a quick run through the canyons on your own, and driving in a group can only be more dangerous (with egos involved and "racing", even though there is not supposed to be...). again, no disrespect... just asking what it is that motivates these group drives. i am a local, so i see many different groups meeting from every different car groups/clubs, and have never understood the attraction. for me, the less traffic the better...why bring your own traffic jam with you? annnd, why bring your own billboard sign to the local sherriff's department which brings their awareness of your "driving" into full and obvious view?? (of course, you are all driving at, or below the speed limit at all times, as am I).
thanks for the insight. i hope to hear some positive feedback so maybe i can understand and join you crazy nuts too! ha ha.
Not everyone gets it, and that's okay. This is exactly why I always keep my meeting times and routes off the forums and handed out at destination zero.

As for why we like doing it in small organized groups, think of it like watching a movie or going out to a fancy dinner by yourself. Sure the main attraction or meal will still be the same, but it's a lot more fun to share the experience with someone else.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Car groups meetings to drive the Canyons are part of the California culture for ages. Bikers do it as well.

It is not about racing or egos, it is about riding or driving great roads with a group.

The solo dinner, solo movie hit it on the spot, add celebrating a birthday solo, and you get the picture.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

gt2nxt:

Good comments above but I'll add. Personally, if I want to drive hard or really fast, I take it to the track. I can explore the limits of my car with other like minded individuals in a safe environment (again, the communal aspect here). At the track, my enjoyment of my car and driving is only made better by sharing it with other people who enjoy doing it too. I've met a lot of great people out at the track and some have become good friends. I hope that continues for years.

Organized drives have their place too. I enjoy meeting up with other car enthusiasts and talking shop, meeting new people, getting to know them and sharing our common passion. Everyone can drive at their own comfort level and no one is encouraged to "race". I have been on drives in the past where that was more the case, but I usually break away from the group or don't return if that's their thing. To each their own.

The road mentioned above has some of the most dramatic scenery and curves anywhere in Socal. It's a blast to drive even moderately. Last time I went, I even took my wife and not once did she complain about the speed or cornering. That should give you a gauge of pace. The guys I met at the meet on this thread were really nice and interesting and I would enjoy taking a drive with any of them. Two are BMW/PCA instructors and I don't think have anything to prove on public roads.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

My main reason for this meet was to see new people that are on this board and to get these people with great cars to come out to the track.

To be honest, driving in the canyons freak me out with all the revenue patrol, bikers, and bad drivers. Especially in Malibu.

I would love to have a meet at the track so new people could just come out and watch, get rides with instructors, and maybe want to drive the track next time.

Seems to be a tough sell, many just want to buy super cars and talk about low miles, resale, the color, and it has 20 more hp for only $70K more then my old GT3.

Quick Reply: MEET: Malibu this Saturday 27th 9am