back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators

these are my rears after yesterday

what's the consensus on these? A-ok? or should i be worried? have got 13,000 kms (about 8,000 miles) on them. 2nd set of pads, stock.

note the above pics are of the SAME rotor, just different indicators. they don't look the same shade because of the angle.

the front indicators are hardly visible, which is not surprising as the rears are supposed to take more abuse than the front rotors.

so am i just overreacting and i should be fine?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look brand new to me. I am sure many track junkies on here will tell you the same. On the rears I have the indicators at exactly the same hue. Sometimes in a certain light and angle they are invisible.
As you say, on the fronts the indicators look a little bit different also on my car.

When the indicators start to chip and disintegrate, that´s when you should start making calls. I saw a couple of PCCB rotors after heavy track abuse and believe me you would tell the difference immediately. Yours are just like mine, only slightly brushed by the pads, but not worn at all.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The answer is right under your nose (second photo shows minimum thickness to be 27.7 mm) lower right corner. Just get a larger caliper(micrometer) and measure the thickness of the rotors.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't judge wear with thickness. There was a great write up on Rennteam which showed wear is more a function of heat breaking down the rotor. Of course, if the thickness is low, they you probably chewed them up, but they can go bad before thickness shows that.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do not get thin, they get rough. When the surface feels like sand paper they are done. Check with the dealer.

Quick Reply: back to those pesky PCCB wear indicators