Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll cage for 2010 RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Roll cage for 2010 RS

Anyone know if the holes are in the floor for the U.S. version "sans" roll cage?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 AM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will know soon when the 1st cars arrive. Anybody willing to do an experiment - pry open the carpet and small access panel to let us know when their '10 RS comes?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I'll know +/- March 30. Already ordered the roll bar and it will be installed at the dealer.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
Anyone know if the holes are in the floor for the U.S. version "sans" roll cage?
I would wage good money the holes are there. They are just plugged up and have noise proofing over them. You just have to remove the carpet, scrape off the noise sealer and pull the plugs. We had no problems installing the Techequipe rollbar from my 996 into my 997.2 GT3.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully we pull back the carpet and find proper mounting plates... Or am I dreaming??

I did the Techquipment bar in my 6-GT3... I'm thinking something a little better for the 7.2 GT3rs. What are some other options??
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the GMG RSR bar. Will try to take some install pics and post a review. Looked at and considered a bunch of options and settled on this. Also GMG's Sparco harnesses (HANS).

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll know +/- March 30. Already ordered the roll bar and it will be installed at the dealer.
Let me know the part number(s) please, before I contact my dealer. Is it Red? Or, does it have to be painted? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i'm pretty sure there aren't any rollbar plates this time around. i got 2 separate responses from factory on non-avalability of rollbar plates for US spec cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carrering
i'm pretty sure there aren't any rollbar plates this time around. i got 2 separate responses from factory on non-avalability of rollbar plates for US spec cars.
Bummer
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloth
Hopefully we pull back the carpet and find proper mounting plates... Or am I dreaming??

I did the Techquipment bar in my 6-GT3... I'm thinking something a little better for the 7.2 GT3rs. What are some other options??
I haven't seen the Techquipment bar, is this like the factory application that installs in the seatbelt locations in a single shear mounting style? Several of the aftermarket setups I've seen are the same way and I'm having my fabricator make something that is set up a little better.
If anyone has a better idea on how to mount the cage, previous issues with the belt arrangement or little things that annoy you and could be easily upgraded; please let me know and I will include it in the design. Be happy to share this with anyone that wants a better mousetrap when it is all said and done.
Cole
Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
First, I have no idea of what you are talking about for mounting plates. The OEM rollbar mounts to the out front and rear seat belt mounting points. These are threaded inserts that are welded into the stiffest points on the chassis. There are no separate mounting plates. The rollbars come with hardware to bolt directly into these locations. These same holes are still there. The factory just puts plugs in them and covers them with sealer. Hence it is just more work to install them in a GT3 versus a Carrera or Turbo.

The GMG uses the front seat belt mouting points. Depending on version, GMG uses the rear seat belt mounting points or the upper rear shock towers. In either case, these mounting points still exist. The first picture is a GMG World Challenge bar that mounts to the front and rear seat belt mounting points. The second picture is a GMG RSR that mounts to the rear shock tires.

Originally Posted by cscrogham
I haven't seen the Techquipment bar, is this like the factory application that installs in the seatbelt locations in a single shear mounting style? Several of the aftermarket setups I've seen are the same way and I'm having my fabricator make something that is set up a little better.
If anyone has a better idea on how to mount the cage, previous issues with the belt arrangement or little things that annoy you and could be easily upgraded; please let me know and I will include it in the design. Be happy to share this with anyone that wants a better mousetrap when it is all said and done.
Cole
Don't think that mounting a rollbar to these points is weak. These are the strongest points on the chassis. One of our own Rennlisters with a factory Techequipe rollbar flipped his 996 GT3 end over end at 100 mph and walked out of it.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

10gt3, the "mounting plates" carrerraing is referring to are flat plated welded to the tub (where rear passenger feet will be if there were rear seats). those were done in factory and the RS (rest of the world) bar front legs are mounted and bolted to that plate.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I heard a rumor that on the 997.2 RS the rear seatbelt anchors have bee removed! Anyone know for sure? If truem that would rule out the Tequipment bar.

I have been told that the ROW plates for the RS are not shipped to the USA (and consequently Canada) because of liability concerns.

Quick Reply: Roll cage for 2010 RS