Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CCW wheels- how good are they??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

CCW's response when I just called to inquire on RS wheels: "wow! you're like the 5th person that's called today."

I say give a call if you haven't already (maybe not everyone today). At least they'll get a sense of demand.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I have always run with CCW's, in fact, I can attest to their extreme durability. I just re-ordered my replacement.
You should get that looked at.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i use both BBS E88 and CCW on my RS for racing.

The CCW are not as light, but a hell of alot stronger! they are awesome track wheels, especially for the price!

I damaged two of my BBS E88's running a targa event. The lips are soft. This year im using my CCW for targa without a doubt.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a big fan of CCW. I had a set of 18x9/18x11 3-piece classic race wheels built for my 996. When I sold my 996, I sold the CCWs with it and the new owner (also a Rennlister) wanted them since they were built to perfectly match the car. I had an issue where I had a tire pop off a rim due to rapidly losing tire pressure one day at the track. The outer rim end was ground down when it hit the ground and the inner rim bent. I sent it back and for $350 including shipping, they rebuilt the wheel with new inner and outer rim halves. I sent it out on Monday and it was on the car by the end of the week. Fantastic customer service. Try getting that out of Forgeline or Fikse.

I am also now a much bigger fan of 3-piece wheels than 1-piece. With a 1-piece wheel, if you ever damage it you have to replace the entire wheel. With a 3-piece, you can replace a rim half for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

++1 for CCW. I have CCW C10 for my 996/GT3.. They more bullet proof than the car and they stand behind their stuff. The gold standard for me. I have 55+ days on my first set of C10's (Track Only) and they are perfect.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I am a big fan of CCW. I had a set of 18x9/18x11 3-piece classic race wheels built for my 996. When I sold my 996, I sold the CCWs with it and the new owner (also a Rennlister) wanted them since they were built to perfectly match the car. I had an issue where I had a tire pop off a rim due to rapidly losing tire pressure one day at the track. The outer rim end was ground down when it hit the ground and the inner rim bent. I sent it back and for $350 including shipping, they rebuilt the wheel with new inner and outer rim halves. I sent it out on Monday and it was on the car by the end of the week. Fantastic customer service. Try getting that out of Forgeline or Fikse.

I am also now a much bigger fan of 3-piece wheels than 1-piece. With a 1-piece wheel, if you ever damage it you have to replace the entire wheel. With a 3-piece, you can replace a rim half for a fraction of the cost.
That's good on paper, but what I've seen is that once you've damaged the outer rim halves, you need to get the center professionally crack tested. Even then, it can still develop faults leading to a catastrophic failure. I saw this with a Jongbloed cast wheel two weeks ago at Thunderhill. You might use this example to justify going to forged centers for example or just treating any compromised wheel as not worth the risk.

FWIW, I've heard of similarly impressive customer service from Forgeline, but not Fikse (though I imagine they have their advocates, too.)
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I put 3 years on a set of CCW's at around 12-15+ DE days a year..not 1 single issue. I sold them and bought some used CCW's from Mooty and have 2 years on them. Not a single issue. Many people race with them and they are the absolute best bang for the buck.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's good on paper, but what I've seen is that once you've damaged the outer rim halves, you need to get the center professionally crack tested. Even then, it can still develop faults leading to a catastrophic failure. I saw this with a Jongbloed cast wheel two weeks ago at Thunderhill. You might use this example to justify going to forged centers for example or just treating any compromised wheel as not worth the risk.

FWIW, I've heard of similarly impressive customer service from Forgeline, but not Fikse (though I imagine they have their advocates, too.)
Interesting points. First, the CCW centers are forged. Second, CCW checks the wheel centers and rim halves for straightness whenever a wheel comes in for repair. I knew the outer half needed to be replace when it was ground down. When the checked the wheel, they found the inner rim half was bent and the center was fine. It is far more common to bend a center than crack one. I can't speak for Jongbloed wheels as I've never owned them.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Interesting points. First, the CCW centers are forged. Second, CCW checks the wheel centers and rim halves for straightness whenever a wheel comes in for repair. I knew the outer half needed to be replace when it was ground down. When the checked the wheel, they found the inner rim half was bent and the center was fine. It is far more common to bend a center than crack one. I can't speak for Jongbloed wheels as I've never owned them.
i have a set of JBs but have yet to use them... bought them for my 996 gt3... sold it unexpectedly and I am having the wheels rebulit to work with my RS

the wheels are light and the service is fast... the product will be put to the test this season.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

CGT, jongbloed is from morgan hill. and i am 99% sure that the centers are FORGED.

ok, i got my flame suit on.
i have had fikse, kinesis, CCW, jong bloed
those who think 3 piece wheel is cheaper to replace are dead wrong. if you hit a berm bent the halves lightly, just keep on driving. no leak no prob, it will balance out. if they are bent enough that they have to be replaced, then the center is most lightly bent. you many not see it, but if you measure the center, it's bent. this happend to me 5 times on fikses. and 50% of the time, if you bent one half, most likely the other half is bent too. so replace both halves and you are right at the price of CCW

CCW if forged once piece, about 3000/set vs 5000+ for most three pieces. if you bent CCW, YOU are probably toast too. i be more worried about my doctor bills. seriously.

of course, there are no free lunch. CCW is not as light as fikse or BBS, and dont look as "pretty". but thy are cheap and strong. i bought a set of BB$ motorsport wheels for big $$$ and we'll see how long it takes for me to bent them.

jongbloed is very very nice. they are in my neighborhood and i know ryan does good job and service. if not, i will drive over to his shop and bug him to no end until my wheels are done.

CCW, they have never failed to deliver me wheels with tires mounted balanced in less than 7 days.

BBS, i dont know yet. they are new to me.

fikse and kinessis, well, if you want to buy them, i got some for sale.

forgelines, heard good things about them, but haven't owned a set yet.

HRE, competition series looks good and light. maybe next set if they lower their prices to the point i can afford a set.

Quick Reply: CCW wheels- how good are they??