Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

driving cup car at buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that cup cars require major engine and transmission overhauls after x hours (I think I remember reading 40 hours, but correct me)...
What is different about the cup engines that requires the overhaul and how much?...how much power are they making...I thought they were rated for about the same...
Trannies...I understand are sequential...how hard to learn and how expensive to service?
Very tempting to just get one instead of RS and just keep my M3 as DD
Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Rich............let the addiction begin!
Glad you like your RS now even more so than before but there is nothing like a purpose built Cup car to see what real track performance is like.

BatmanM3, lot's of questions there but for the most part, a properly maintained stock Cup car, as in stock engine, can go from 60-80-plus hours before it needs a rebuild but if you are racing on a professional level, you would want to freshen your car at earlier intervals.

No street car can give you the performance of a purpose built race car but taking your street car and slowly building it over time into a track warrior is a great option for many as it allows you to budget over time.

But if you have the means to buy a Cup car and want to go racing......there is no doubt that is the best "value" in racing.

Drop me an email if you have anymore questions.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: driving cup car at buttonwillow