Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

lightweight battery storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default lightweight battery storage

i decided to option the RS without the stereo and now thinking of ordering the battery. since it comes with the standard battery as well, what do you do with the Lithium Ion unit when it gets cold? Do i need to keep it in the laundry room hooked up to a battery tender all winter? How long would a battery last like this?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a brief article in the PCA Panorama about this type of battery. It does not do well in cold weather so I think that is why Porsche AG sells you the new car with normal battery and the optional one not installed.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it still $100/lb over the stock battery or have they sobered up?

Further, if there is one thing this car needs is front-ish weight. Likely it is better to add a LW exhaust than cut weight from the front
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+ weight for the front - bulky battery = about the same. This was my reason for getting the battery.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I'm not following

You mean it weighs the same,or placement is different? I just didn't understand your notation I guess
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

The front axle lifting system adds....and I may be off...13 lbs. I read this somewhere. So I figured that I would gain it back. (I need the left to get in and out of my driveway.)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
The front axle lifting system adds....and I may be off...13 lbs. I read this somewhere. So I figured that I would gain it back. (I need the left to get in and out of my driveway.)
my sentiments exactly. going with lift so i thought the battery might be a nice touch. also this lowers the mass in the front of the car since battery sits high. not that any of this really matters on a street car or i would notice, but hell my money right.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:42 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

One other issue...I have had 5 Porsches and they all have battery drain when they sit. Even with the key out...2-3 weeks and you need to charge the car. I have a BMW Z8 that has never been on a charger and has sat for months w/o driving. Never an issue. So I keep my current GT3 on a trickle charger all the time. Annoying. The LI battery will not drain nearly as fast.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

now i understand you.

Z8's (almost bought one, timeless roadster) have far fewer e-systems running all the time.

did i read something where you shouldn't let the LW battery drain completely, or am i mistaken? i know Li-ion is a great system but i thought i read about some bone-headed vulnerability of the system besides its ridiculous cost.

got CCB's on all my 3's (.1 GT3, .1 RS, now .2 GT3) and many told me that i wasting money, but as carrering notes, who's money is it anyway...

fellas, can't speak for the .2 RS, but the .2 GT3 is about the Perfect Street Sports Car for the educated (in driving skills) driver. i know you'll love your cars!

Quick Reply: lightweight battery storage