Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

More GT3 woes - failed CA smog... dealer is scratching their head

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carf911
They already have it, but haven't figured out why it kept failing. Your 996 went through cats even quicker than jyoteen. Did you ever find out why your 996 were killing cats?

Just couldn't imagine myself keeping this car for long if I had to change cats every so often. I'd rather they fix the root cause than just replacing cats to mask the problem.

The GT3 is really nice car to drive, but the mere 2 months of purchase/service experience already gave me more grieve than 10 yrs of owning 2 Honda and a motorbike. Not to mention how eager Porsche seems to be trying to weasel their way out of warranty coverage. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.
1: stock melted- we guess race gas.
2: was a fabspeed 100 cell, they replaced it 6 months later at NO cost to me with 200cell.
3: the 200 cells worked fine.

I never had to get the car smog checked. I had a light. My dealer never blinks on warranty. My 2004 GT3 even had the LSD repaired twice at no charge.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all...I really hope this issue gets worked out to your benefit...After just going through the Porsche official response "you did not drive your car enough(2006 c4s with 20Kmiles)" tp get your battery replaced under warranty" recital...I really think consumers are at risk right now...Large Companies(Porsche, GM, Lexus, Land Rover) are under enormous pressure to cut costs..even by denying warranty claims...sad, but true....I know people take shots at lawyers for being less than ethical(stereotyping here) but...these lawyers can get a corpration to notice and ultimately stop taking advantage of the consumer...I would have thought a 2007 GT3 would pass emmission and if not...Porsche would warranty the costs associated with getting the vehicle to pass...kind of surprised and let down...Good Luck to you!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 PM
carf911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
First of all...I really hope this issue gets worked out to your benefit...After just going through the Porsche official response "you did not drive your car enough(2006 c4s with 20Kmiles)" tp get your battery replaced under warranty" recital...I really think consumers are at risk right now...Large Companies(Porsche, GM, Lexus, Land Rover) are under enormous pressure to cut costs..even by denying warranty claims...sad, but true....I know people take shots at lawyers for being less than ethical(stereotyping here) but...these lawyers can get a corpration to notice and ultimately stop taking advantage of the consumer...I would have thought a 2007 GT3 would pass emmission and if not...Porsche would warranty the costs associated with getting the vehicle to pass...kind of surprised and let down...Good Luck to you!!!
Sorry to hear about your experience. Having to deal with warranty issues wasn't the exciting part of owning a Porsche for sure. It makes sense for manufacturers to be tight on warranty claims in this economy but it won't do any good to keeping customers happy. All the marketing dollars spent won't change that.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
carf911
Track Day

My car is still in the shop. The dealer took the cats out and found both of them to be defective and submitted a claim to Porsche. The good news is that the replacement will be covered under warranty, and the dealer has been pretty good about keeping me updated about progress. It sounds like Porsche is asking for a lot of paperwork from them to process the claim. Not sure if that's always the case.

The bad news is that it's still not clear why both cats are dead. I hope the dealer will get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by carf911; 02-26-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 AM
carf911
Track Day

Got my car back with 2 new cats and took it in for a re-test. 0 HC emission and 0.01% CO, which I can proudly present to my Prius-owner friends to convince them that they should have gotten the GT3 instead

I spoke with the service manager to get the full story. There is no proof but the theory is that the gas used previously killed both cats.. It could be leaded, contaminated and/or with certain fuel additives. The pre-cat lamda readings were normal but the post-cat readings were off, but apparently none of that were enough to trigger any ODB-II codes. All O2 sensors are fine.

Case closed.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the resolution; even more so that the dealer was helpful.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Akara1
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to bump such and old thread. I'm having the same problem with my '08 RS. Failed smog twice yesterday only due to high HCs. Hopefully the dealer can get to the bottom of this. I want to get the car registered ASAP.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

What a PITA......another reason to live in Florida
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Akara1
Sorry to bump such and old thread. I'm having the same problem with my '08 RS. Failed smog twice yesterday only due to high HCs. Hopefully the dealer can get to the bottom of this. I want to get the car registered ASAP.
very likely cats. That fixed mine. That fixed the OP as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Akara1
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Car is at the dealer now. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it quickly. I suggested it may be the cats after reading this thread, so we'll see what they do.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Have you considered relocating to Florida? Apparently you can do whatever you want to cars down there and your taxes will likely be a whole lot lower....
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Nevada= no personal income tax. No sound restrictions at our glorious tracks. Please, come and be prepared to drive "Flat-out".

Quick Reply: More GT3 woes - failed CA smog... dealer is scratching their head