Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

7GT3.2 First Trackday - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyP
Well, it was last Saturday at a wet Bedford GT circuit. I have to confess that I kept both the SC and TC on for the whole day as it only dried in the last couple of sessions.

The static limit was 101dB and my girlfriend did the test (to give 'em a quick wink if we were just over ). She said it was 102dB but they let her through.

The first few sessions in standing water (no rain all day) had the SC and ABS going off all the time. I must say my initial thoughts where "what the f*&K have I bought? I'm not driving this, the electronics are!!". But slowly, as the track dried, and I got on top of the ABS threshold and savage throttle response on exiting the corners, the electronic interuptions subsided, to a point that with SC and TC still on, I was only getting the a slight activation of ABS on a couple anchor apps and the faintest of SC or TC (not sure) on the second apex of a very fast left right flick on the very long back straight (was getting 150mph on the clock here just before the anchors went on).

I religiously did a whole 3.8 mile lap after each 20 min session which saw the IR meter read 160 Cel on the front and 150 Cel on the rear. At one stage there was a red flag right on the last corner pulling us straight into the pits. The IR maxed out at 250 degrees so I went for a pootle around the outer roads for 10 mins.

During the drying track stage, I came up on the back of a Nissan GTR, passed him and tried to shake him off for the next few laps without success. We agreed after that he had the better entry speed, but the traction out of the corner and the straight line speed went to the GT3. A draw then!

Last session of the day I took a yound racer/tutor out with me. He immediately noticed that I was trying to get back on the power too early and that was responsible for the nose pushing on late in the corner. Quite funny when he correctly identified that I get on the throttle, only to lift off a moment later!! I never even knew!

So lots to learn. A very safe easy car to drive though. Much easier than the challenging 964 C2.

Will experiment with the SC and TC later.

Video to follow if you'd like?

Lucky.

interesting that you note the challenge of the 964 ... I had an RSA for a couple of years and that cars handling/suspension made a much better driver of me than any other car I have owned ... if you can drive a 964 fast you can pretty much drive any (911 at least) after that better and faster IMHO YMMV
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

As promised as short video capturing the day. Not too much in-car,but I have more of that to come.

Enjoy:

http://www.vimeo.com/9002367
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

As promised as short video capturing the day. Not too much in-car,but I have more of that to come.

Enjoy:

http://www.vimeo.com/9002367
sweet bedford! ... I recall it fondly ... especially the time when I was playing with the swaybar settings on my '99 GT3 CS ... only when you truly f* them up do you appreciate how much they effect the handling!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it was last Saturday at a wet Bedford GT circuit. I have to confess that I kept both the SC and TC on for the whole day as it only dried in the last couple of sessions.

The static limit was 101dB and my girlfriend did the test (to give 'em a quick wink if we were just over ). She said it was 102dB but they let her through.

The first few sessions in standing water (no rain all day) had the SC and ABS going off all the time. I must say my initial thoughts where "what the f*&K have I bought? I'm not driving this, the electronics are!!". But slowly, as the track dried, and I got on top of the ABS threshold and savage throttle response on exiting the corners, the electronic interuptions subsided, to a point that with SC and TC still on, I was only getting the a slight activation of ABS on a couple anchor apps and the faintest of SC or TC (not sure) on the second apex of a very fast left right flick on the very long back straight (was getting 150mph on the clock here just before the anchors went on).

I religiously did a whole 3.8 mile lap after each 20 min session which saw the IR meter read 160 Cel on the front and 150 Cel on the rear. At one stage there was a red flag right on the last corner pulling us straight into the pits. The IR maxed out at 250 degrees so I went for a pootle around the outer roads for 10 mins.

During the drying track stage, I came up on the back of a Nissan GTR, passed him and tried to shake him off for the next few laps without success. We agreed after that he had the better entry speed, but the traction out of the corner and the straight line speed went to the GT3. A draw then!

Last session of the day I took a yound racer/tutor out with me. He immediately noticed that I was trying to get back on the power too early and that was responsible for the nose pushing on late in the corner. Quite funny when he correctly identified that I get on the throttle, only to lift off a moment later!! I never even knew!

So lots to learn. A very safe easy car to drive though. Much easier than the challenging 964 C2.

Will experiment with the SC and TC later.

Video to follow if you'd like?

Lucky.
Very nice summary and review of you first track day.i agree regarding the entry speed of front engine cars are greater.This also feels quicker than gtr on the straights and has that amazing exit speed where the rear tires seems to push the car to the ground and you get that feeling of slight oversteer on exit.

in a 135 or gtr i go very fast into a corner and then keep pushing until i know ive reached its limit and then back of a little. in this (for me atleast) i still cant judge how fast i can go into a corner,by mid corner i start applying throttle and then full throttle on exiting. im still not sure how to attack a slolam like road,very easy to get both under and over steer but it does lets you know before hand through the steering and balance of the car.its a fun car but more challenging to drive fast unlike front or mid engine cars which anyone(me) can drive fast.

btw whats the best rpm to upshift for max acceleration without hurting the engine?anyone?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just before bumping into the. rev limiter on the straights. There are times at our local track where you short shift just prior to turn in at a slight corner.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

picture from your track day - love it

predator and prey

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM
LuckyP
Racer

And a bit of my own footage:

http://www.vimeo.com/9077359

Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

LuckyP- are those LED lights on in pic? Can they be shut off? Mike
Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
LuckyP- are those LED lights on in pic? Can they be shut off? Mike
Yes they are and yes they can. They do seem to let some of the slower cars know you are coming though!! Probably for warp speed Autobahn driving!!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Lucky,

What kind of camera setup are you using? Looks pretty good.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by skxf430
Lucky,

What kind of camera setup are you using? Looks pretty good.
A Panasonic SDR-SW20 camcorder. Best buy ever. £120 odd quid. The trick is a good mount. I have a cage mount, from Dogcam I think.

Quick Reply: 7GT3.2 First Trackday - Advice